M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a deal on Indian .308 FMJ ammo for $119. I have always used Port. 308 amd have never had any experience with Indian stuff. I could use some opinions. I have to admit its tempting even if it is lousy stuff. I usally have to pay $130 for Port .308...............Twiggy

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Hi lawrence,

Welcome aboard!

I have never used the Indian 308 myself but I have heard some mixed reviews. I think someone said there is a 2% failure rate. You really need to hand pick the ammo through and make sure you dont' get a bad one before you load it in.

I am waiting to hear more reviews. Now that the Port is pretty much sold out too...at $149/1k....the Idnian might be an alternative.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
I've never used port or indian.....my rifle loves Hirt for lunch :D But it seems Hirt is getting ahrd to get also..... :(

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the Indian .308 corrosive or non ... :?:

I've heard the same thing as well ... kinda mixed feelings about it.

Six

·
Registered
615 Posts
The Indian is corrosive (at least the stuff I got is). On the other hand all that I've shot through my 2A1 has done just fine. Plus the brass is reloadable as I understood it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
TLynn said:
The Indian is corrosive (at least the stuff I got is).
First I have heard that it's corrosive. The stuff I bought was supposed to be non corrosive. Guess it's a good thing I use some Barnes copper solvent when I clean the rifle. The ammonia does double duty.

Here's the target I shot with Indian Ammo OFV97 from an M1A SNM.

Here's what I can do with the rifle with FC Gold Medal Match

I had two jams where the case would not chamber.

This stuff is still on the market and is being heavily discounted by some vendors so us "FNG's" need to beware.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I haven't gotten into actually shooting .308 yet, but I've been reading threads for some time now. I recall somebody saying Indian didn't do well in their American bolt gun. Then somebody said they shot it in a Ishapore 2A and it did real well. My guess is Indian was designed by Indians specifically for the Ishapore. If it's any count, it seems to me it ought to shoot just fine in anything. I don't really know though; that's just me adding 2 and 2 which don't always make 4.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Wow Djl:

What a significant difference in groups with just those two types of ammo!!!

That is really a good idea of what that Indian ammo does in your rifle! Especially measured against the Fed. GM!

Great post!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
djl4570,

Great show and tell pics of your targets. I know Indian surplus isn't so good but I didn't realized it's this bad! 8O

I took the liberty to resize your pictures so they can be posted here:

Indian:

Federal Gold Match:

·
Banned
354 Posts
Looks like if sombody is shooting Indian at you the best thing to do is STAND STILL (and you won't get hit)

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Last month, I shot 500 rounds of the .308 in my select fire M1A. I had about ten rounds that failed to feed or fail to extract. These rounds all had very badly deformed case rims or case necks. It was good for the range but I would not trust my life with it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
This stuff is pure trash and isn't worth the time or effort to shoot it. I bought 500 rounds from J & G and have found 11 rounds that won't chamber out of about 200 rounds fired. I've had numerous bullets keyhole at 100 yards and two rounds have been loaded too light to cycle the action. Accuracy is almost meaningless with this ammo, as I get 8"-10" groups at 100 yards.

Stay away from this crap! Spend the extra $25 and get some decent surplus ammo!

·
Banned
354 Posts
YA I saw that J G had some really cheap prices on .308 in shotgun news but I didn't know what kind it was. Good thing I didn't need any

·
Registered
302 Posts
Even the ammo can that came with the deal is a piece of trash! And these guys have an "A" bomb? Now that's a truly scary thought!

·
Registered
22 Posts
INDIAN AMMO

Stay far away from this stuff BRASS peeled back at neck ,misfires. Shoots all over the place when it does go off.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Indian Ammo

A guy came in here the other say and gave me 200 rnds. of what I think is this stuff. Headstamp OFV M80 86. From what I am reading here, I might know why it was a gift...Mike

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:roll: All I can say about This Stuff is that it is JUNK DELUX, I believe this Stuff was all Rejected by the Indians themselves and wound up in Some Unscrupulous Dealers Hands and now the small Dealers are trying to pass it off on Uninformed .308 Shooters, Thank the Lord for Forums like this and BRs for keeping our Heads Up. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts