M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Somewhat 'inherited' a 1975 Browning 2000 in 12 guage. It was my grandfather's, and has been sitting in a gun cabinet the past 30+ years collecting dust. It's in near-mint condition. I believe my grandfather bought it as a duck/goose hunting gun, then never went hunting with it. It's chambered in 3" magnum, and for the longest time it just sat around because it will not cycle 2 3/4" rounds (what we tend to shoot the most with sporting clays). My grandfather and dad simply thought something was "wrong" with it because it wouldn't cycle the low brass. Back in the day, they even brought it to some gunsmith "experts" who couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.

Enter the age of the internet. Turns out there ain't a thing wrong with it.

Doing a quick search, I quickly discovered that the 3" magnum barrels have only one gas port, whereas the 2 3/4" barrels have two gas ports. So, simple solution is to buy a barrel chambered in 2 3/4" and problem should be solved. However, being that Browning discontinued this shotgun back in 1980, barrels don't seem to be all that plentiful. There are a few on eBay, and even fewer on GunBroker.

As most of my shotgun shooting is with sporting clays, I would like to get a 28" VENTED barrel with a modified choke. I did find one here for $250 shipped. Anybody out there know where else to look?

EDIT: Looking for a VENTED barrel.

·
Registered
341 Posts
another possibility is, assuming it is vented and you won't be using it for water fowling, is to just have a gunsmiddy cut a second gas port into it. That should be possible and your cheapest route

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Looks like I got me a barrel. Won one off of eBay and it arrived today. Not as pristine as the receiver/barrel combo I already have, as can be seen in the last picture where the bluing has been worn a bit, and looks to have some rusting. But for ~$100, can't complain too much. Haven't tried it out yet, so (knock on wood) hoping it solves the low-brass cycling "problem".

Here are a few pics:

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Are you familiar with Armlist.com? It is like gunbroker but you don't bid you contact the seller person to person. Hope this helps you in the future. I like it becuase you don't have too wait on the action to end.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FINALLY got out yesterday to shoot some sporting clays and try out the "new" barrel on my Browning 2000. Sure thing, whereas my old magnum barrel wouldn't cycle low brass loads, this new barrel works like a charm! No problems whatsoever, and I smoked a few clays as well! GI2 And I really like the left-side port for holding/loading the second shell. No having to fool around with the underside to put one up the tube. Just drop in a shell on the left side, give it a slight push with the thumb, and it's GTG.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
FINALLY got out yesterday to shoot some sporting clays and try out the "new" barrel on my Browning 2000. Sure thing, whereas my old magnum barrel wouldn't cycle low brass loads, this new barrel works like a charm! No problems whatsoever, and I smoked a few clays as well! GI2 And I really like the left-side port for holding/loading the second shell. No having to fool around with the underside to put one up the tube. Just drop in a shell on the left side, give it a slight push with the thumb, and it's GTG.
It's a good piece, and that's what I use as an auto shotgun, however it was never that popular. Everybody wanted the A-5. I picked up a used 5y/o in '78. Your wood looks in good shape. The hand guards are known to crack. Mine has been replaced once. -Lloyd BEERCHUG1

Reactions: Duce
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.