M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just got my first of many M1A's but this one has me asking a Question of just what do I really have??? After reading a couple books and a lot of threads on this forum I am still perplexed. My M1A has a SA M1A action serial #011926 which after contacting SA they say they have no record of. The barrel has no numbers or stamps of any kind where they should be, ie serial number proofs or anything excepet for a NM that is stamped, in the barrel on top between the gas port and the barrel lug. On the under side it is stamped almost double struck Geneseo Ill. The bolt is a HRT but also has a CEK stamped under neath it. The frount sight is standard no marking that I can see. The rear from what I have researched appears to be an M-1 sight. The trigger group is a TRW and a standard opperating rod. The more reseach I do the more I think this is a parts gun. It shoots great out to 800yrd and I love it. Any Info on what everyone thinks will be great.

·
Administrator
17,455 Posts
It's an early Springfield Armory Inc. rifle with a s/n of 11K. With a medium weight NM barrel and as noted above a HRT bolt. The rest of the information on the barrel is under the handguard or next to the stock, just pull the trigger group out and the barrel assemble will come apart from the stock. You can see if the manufacture of the barrel and year Sixkiller1894.

DI5

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
The barrel has no numbers or stamps of any kind where they should be, ie serial number proofs or anything excepet for a NM that is stamped, in the barrel on top between the gas port and the barrel lug. On the under side it is stamped almost double struck Geneseo Ill. .
The highlighted sentence pretty much precludes any possibllity that SAInc. did not at least barrel the receiver and could have or most likely built the rifle OR it was done in Glen Nelson's shop. This rifle was made in the pre-Personal Computer days and it is well within the realm of possibility, if not probability that the records were misplaced or lost.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
"Parts Gun".... LOL....

I work on restoring vintage welding equipment that is, in some cases, 70 years old. Many times it may take 3 or 4 "donor" machines to build one restored machine. In the M14 arena, many times several barrels / bolts are installed on a receiver to get the optimum head space.

When we build machines that are older than us they are all "Parts Machines". Where the craftsmanship comes in is making all those parts function flawlessly. Perhaps we should go back to calling these vintage restorations "hand crafted".

An example in photos. Yes, the same machine in both photos.

Hobo

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
If the barrel is not a medium weight barrel, but a standard contour barrel look under the handguard, and on the bottom of the barrel. I have seen Winchester M 14 barrels that were marked Winchester on the barrel where it does not show when you pull back the op rod.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
It is what it is, a good shooting M1A, with an older serial number and USGI parts so a bit more desirable than the current ones from an ownership/collector standpoint.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Your rifle was probably purchased in January 1980 according to Lee Emerson's M14 RIFLE HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT. Be aware that some M1A rifles around this vintage had soft receivers. It wasn't always a problem, but some batches of receivers didn't seem to have adequate quality control.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the Information, I did disassemble the gun completely but was unable to see any other markings on the barrel. I will look it over again with a magnifying glass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts