M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance, I know the answer is in the search function somewhere, but I'm out at the camp using my phone's data plan, and I don't want to burn the whole thing up reading all 202 threads that pop up searching "4895 and 175".

Ok, today I've been working up 175smk loads, basically checking velocities before narrowing in for accuracy. Going by what I've read here (and other places) in the past, 2,600fps is sort of the top end/target velocity, and that the Hornady and Sierra books are rather conservative as to powder weights (Sierra sometimes almost laughably so).

So, using a Winchester case and CCI primers at 2.825coal, I'm getting a 2,572fps avg from 43.1gr of IMR4895. I worked up from 39. The primers are not flattened, but they are starting to show a little sign that they are heading that way. That is as high as I plan on testing.

That 43.1 is well above the Sierra listing and Hornady's gas gun load, but well within the Hodgdon website data. Still, I don't want to mess my rifle up. Am I pushing it with that charge (for the moment I'm looking at it as a ceiling)?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,834 Posts
Ok, today I've been working up 175smk loads, basically checking velocities before narrowing in for accuracy. Going by what I've read here (and other places) in the past, 2,600fps is sort of the top end/target velocity, and that the Hornady and Sierra books are rather conservative as to powder weights (Sierra sometimes almost laughably so).

So, using a Winchester case and CCI primers at 2.825coal, I'm getting a 2,572fps avg from 43.1gr of IMR4895. I worked up from 39. The primers are not flattened, but they are starting to show a little sign that they are heading that way. That is as high as I plan on testing.

I think you answered you own question. I myself prefer the slower end of powders for the 175+ class of bullets but too each there own.

·
Registered
14,413 Posts
4895 is not the ideal powder for getting a 175 past the magical 2600 mark. You need a slightly slower powder that is still within the port pressure limits of the M14.

4064 is ideal. 43 grains in a commercial case and 42.5 in a Lake City.

RL15 works but can have pressure spikes in hot climates. Varget is used by a lot of shooters, but has not been tested by the military to my knowledge.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know, but I get a bit nervous loading for a new platform. I guess I wanted to give those far more experienced loading for the M14 type rifle a chance to tell me if that charge was pucker-inducing.

I plan on starting Varget tests tomorrow. I know some people say its too slow for these rifles, but my M1's sure do love it. I've got a lot of Varget, 175s, and IMR4895, that just about everything I load for likes to shoot. It would be nice if one of those powders could be made to work.

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
In my experience Varget is no slower than, if as slow as R15. If I recall the LC LR load uses R15 with the 175 SMK right? I always kind of figured 42.0grs of IMR4895 about max with a 168 gr. so your loads seems warmish to me for the 175.

·
Super Moderator
11,834 Posts
In my experience Varget is no slower than, if as slow as R15. If I recall the LC LR load uses R15 with the 175 SMK right? I always kind of figured 42.0grs of IMR4895 about max with a 168 gr. so your loads seems warmish to me for the 175.
The old M118LR used RE15. IMR4064 has been the current powder for some time. I too use Varget as well with the 175's @ 41.5grn in a LC case COAL 2.82

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Winchester cases have a reputation for being lighter weight and having a larger internal capacity than LC. So needing a heavier charge weight to achieve a desired MV isn't surprising. try weighing your empty and deprimed Win cases - my Fed cases weigh about 180-185 grains, and I think LC is about the same.

A MV of 2575 fps should be fine for out to about 900 yards, if wanting to shoot at 1000y, 2600+ is better.
For shorter distance shooting, less MV will work fine if it gives good accuracy.

I was able to get about 2625fps MV using H4895 and 175SMK thru my 308Win M1, and that seemed near 'max' to my liking.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't weighed them lately, but I recall Winchester cases being much lighter than LC, or even Remington, for that matter.

I didn't see the velocities I was expecting today with Varget, with 168s or 175s, but no pressure signs on the primers, either. I suppose my new chronograph could be off, but I think its simply that the lighter Winchester case simply needs more powder than I expected, in comparison to LC, to get up to speed. My go-to 175gr target load for my bolt action .308 is 43.5 Varget in a Win case, that gives me 2,650fps. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that 42gr in the M1A is only averaging 2,467fps, but I kinda am.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.