M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several 1# canisters of IMR 4064. I am wanting to load the oldest canister first, and was wondering if there is any way to tell by the numbers printed on the label and when it was bottled.

Thanks

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK. I opened up my oldest bottle and it smells "minty".

It's not an unpleasant, pungent, or "off putting" smell ... but ... it's 'Minty'. It reminds me of a pack of Peppermint Gum.

Is this still ok to use?

I've never smelled powder that had this smell to it.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
first number is a 8,4 or 1, depending it if was packed in a 8, 4 or 1 pound container.
Then use xx/xx/xx for month/ day/year for the date
Then the numbers left are the lot number
I have two old 1 lb metal cans here; one about empty and one unopened.

the 'unopened one' has these numbers stamped on the bottom of it:
E94AP22
L2492
Made in Canada

I wonder if it is worth trying as well?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Can't help you on the age of that one. You can open it up and see how it smells and see if it has any red dust in the powder. Stored properly I'd think it would more than likely be ok but since I can't examine it myself I can't help you out there. I've never smelled "minty" powder either so I'm useless there too, lol.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the wife take a whiff, as well, to see what she thought it was. I have had hickory smoke in my nose all morning, and she said it smells like Menthol. Like Vicks Vap-o-Rub.

I've never had a can of Vick's in the house, and I bought the powder new from the dealer. Why would my can of 4064 smell like Menthol?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.