M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"Death From Above"
11,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out the IMR website. I have 24 lbs of IMR 4895 that I plan on using one of these days but I was wondering about a powder for my Krieger Varmatch AR and my A2 service rifle. I know the 4895 can be used for both .223 and .308 but I came across this 8208 XBR and it's says it's good to go for both as well but is more geared as a match powder. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
I have several friends that are using it with their .223 AR platforms and they say that the accuracy is fantastic.

I have been trying to develop a good load for the SOCOM 16 and 168gr Barnes TTSX bullets and I'm just about ready to throw in the towel (I'll be eating one very large crow). I'm just not happy with the group sizes that I've gotten. My best results have been at the top end of the load charge weights and this results in very high chamber pressures. The problem may be the bullet's shape and I will check that idea out next.

·
"Death From Above"
11,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RAMMAC From reading I know you take your reloading very seriously, I would assume your buds are the same. On that note , I will put this powder on my buy list. I have not looked at any of the load data but I will more than likely be using some SMK 75 gr BTHP and 175 gr BTHP to start. These are what I have been shooting, factory BH match stuff and the rifles really like it. When I start to reload they will be the first loads I will work up. Thanks for chiming in!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Xbr

Highly recommend the XBR for 75 gr. A-max at the 600 yd. line. You can load to achieve 2800 fps. and not have jam A-max into powder when seating the bullet. Using Varget I have to compress the powder to reach the velocity I want for 600 yd. line, not so with the XBR. Love the Accuracy.
Getting ready to use the same XBR load for 77gr Nosler loaded to magazine length to shoot at 200 and 300 yds. for the same reason, won't have to compress the bullet into the powder using XBR vs. using Varget. If remember the load is 22.7 grs of XBR from Hogdon's loading magazine.

·
"Death From Above"
11,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oustanding info on the powder!!! Glad I posted the question because I plan on trying to duplicate the 75 grain smk bthp load. Have you tried it in the 14? .308? I want to use the 175 gr smk bthp. The rifles are all chambered for that round specifically.

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
That's pretty much the same load most of my friends are using with their ARs. These guys are varmint hunters and I have seen some pretty nice groups, on the order of quarter inches at 100 yards from a rest.

Highly recommend the XBR for 75 gr. A-max at the 600 yd. line. You can load to achieve 2800 fps. and not have jam A-max into powder when seating the bullet. Using Varget I have to compress the powder to reach the velocity I want for 600 yd. line, not so with the XBR. Love the Accuracy.
Getting ready to use the same XBR load for 77gr Nosler loaded to magazine length to shoot at 200 and 300 yds. for the same reason, won't have to compress the bullet into the powder using XBR vs. using Varget. If remember the load is 22.7 grs of XBR from Hogdon's loading magazine.

·
"Death From Above"
11,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Something like this? The little squares are one inch. I guess the large one is 4. This was done with bh 75 smk's 100 yards blowing from the left 15-20 mph.

with this one

28 inch Krieger Varmatch Barrel.
Once scoped the idea is to be able to do the same with this one. LRB M25. Can't wait to get glass for this one. This build was inspired by SAI M25 White Feather.

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
Ooooo, Ahhhhh, pretty...Mongo like pretty rifles!!

Something like this? The little squares are one inch. I guess the large one is 4. This was done with bh 75 smk's 100 yards blowing from the left 15-20 mph.

with this one

28 inch Krieger Varmatch Barrel.
Once scoped the idea is to be able to do the same with this one. LRB M25. Can't wait to get glass for this one. This build was inspired by SAI M25 White Feather.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts