M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running through the various reloading threads on this forum and came to the conclusion that IMR 4895 is favored over H4895. Actually, I haven't read one person reloading with Hodgon 4895. Prior to joining the forum, I read several magazine articles suggesting H4895 over IMR. Is this bias by the authors or is there something I'm missing?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have always used IMR 4895. It is what the local gun shop stocked. I never tried H4895. I have always been curious about the difference between the two also.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used to use H4895, until the ammo & powder shortage made it almost impossible to find. It is showing up again now. I have seen it written that the H4895 is less succeptible to combustion variation attributable to variations in temperature. Couldn't really tell the difference. I am not a long range competitor.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
I like "H" better than "I" but "I" is what I now have 8 LBS of so..................

·
Registered
155 Posts
For me the IMR 4895 just groups better than H4895. It does run slower grain for grain but. I get the same kind of results in 30.06 as well.
Loading some of the 130 gr MK 319 up with the H. Maybe I'll find a use for the few pounds I have left.

·
Registered
838 Posts
H4895 is what I use, primarily because it was available when I went powder shopping. I like how it meters and it shoots well enough. But next time I shop, If "I" is all they have, then I'll switch to "I".

·
Registered
868 Posts
Not much of a difference between the two. I like both H and I but, I load all of my 06 with I. I also use it to load 7.62 for my M14s with either 155 NCC or 168 SMK. The main reasons are that is cheaper per pound, and available. H can get scarce from time to time. Another powder I have had good luck with is RL19 when I load for my 06 bolt gun. Fills the case well and produces good velocity. Not sure that it would work in a garand. I have a limited supply of H so I save that for my 7.7.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have used both and noticed no difference in accuracy and velocity when everything else is the same. I used to use Varget but I find H or IMR 4895 gives me superior performance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I knew about the faster burn rate, but now it is making sense. Availability will pretty much determine almost everything. I'm still trying to determine a good configuration for mine, but I had already settled on H for my AR15, so I guess I'll start there. Heard a lot of loaders swear by Varget, but it's burn rate is about as slow as one can safely go with the M14.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
When I used to shoot NRA Highpower with a service rifle, in testing I found that H4895 gave better SD's and Extreme Spreads than IMR4895, mainly important for shooting at the longer ranges. With all things equal IMR SD's and ES's were double what H SD's and ES's were.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
For as long as I can remember , data was NOT interchangeable. Wonder if it's still different seeing as how Hodgdon now owns IMR.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts