M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've recently started hand loading with IMR 4895 powder. I'm looking for advice on how many grains of powder to use for a good group. I'm using 168 gr Hornady Match BTHP. If more information is need please ask. All recommendations are greatly appreciated thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,812 Posts
Do a search of this forum, lots of discussion here. For your rifle you need to start on the low ends of the loads recommended in the guide.
For Lake City brass I have had very good luck with 40.5 and 41 .......

·
Registered
251 Posts
Start at 39 gr. and work up. You will likely find a sweet spot between 40.5 and 41.5 but each gun is slightly different.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Haven't seen any 4895 around here for over a year. I was lucky to find some IMR4064 to load my 168s.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
There really should be a sticky in the ammo section about common loads.

Hey guys I've recently started hand loading with IMR 4895 powder. I'm looking for advice on how many grains of powder to use for a good group. I'm using 168 gr Hornady Match BTHP. If more information is need please ask. All recommendations are greatly appreciated thanks!
Almost all these guys who use that powder and bullet are using about 42 grains in a mil spec case to 2.8". Coincidentally that is also a dupe of the older 168 mil match load and if you stick a 175 on top it is a close dupe of M118LR. Commercial brass like winchester holds more powder so figure on another grain or two for similar velocities.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
There really should be a sticky in the ammo section about common loads.

Almost all these guys who use that powder and bullet are using about 42 grains in a mil spec case to 2.8". Coincidentally that is also a dupe of the older 168 mil match load and if you stick a 175 on top it is a close dupe of M118LR. Commercial brass like winchester holds more powder so figure on another grain or two for similar velocities.
What primer is the most correct to duplicate it? CCI 34 or Federal 210M?

·
Registered
9,260 Posts

The image above will link you to the reloading forum (it's located within the Gun Professionals section of the forum).

While there isn't any problem with posting in either place, the reloading sub-forum was created to provide handloaders with a place to talk about specific reloading issues as opposed to the ammunition section which is intended for general conversations.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
What primer is the most correct to duplicate it? CCI 34 or Federal 210M?
My primer of choice for 308 is the CCI 200 or Wolf Mag if I can get them but right now with everything going nuts I use what I have. So CCI Mags, then Fed Match, store had some Fed Regular so I bought those, etc etc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Under the title "Military Shoot-Alikes"
and the table: "Loads to Duplicate Military Ball Ammunition"
(using 1X military cases)

.308 Win.

168-gr HPBT Win. 748 43.0 gr
------------------IMR-3031 39.0 gr
------------------IMR-4895 40.5 gr
------------------IMR-4064 41.5 gr

Ref. "Semi-Auto Rifles Data and Comment"
a publication of the National Rifle Association, p.27,
1988 (out of print but available used often through Amazon).

·
Registered
43 Posts
My SOCOM II? 41 grains. Your rifle? Follow the extensive literature trail and work up.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Aren't the CCI primers suppose to be to soft except for the military cci 34 and 41 because of slam fires, I use Win LR , there is a primer metal thickness chart on web I have seen before, can't recall location, anyway I don't use cci in anything but bolt guns except 34 and 41s

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use the same bullets and powder. I use 40.5g IMR 4895 and the best group i have gotten is 2.5in group at 400 yards. i graphed these loads and out of ten shots got a average of 2470. Also, using CCI benchrest primers and LC brass seated to 2.8. This is out of a loaded model M1A.
When i get around to it, im going to bump the load up to 40.8 and see how fast they get up to.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Welcome Smokin Charlie, I'm in NC too

Hornady 7th Ed, page 453 168g BTHP, IMR 4895 36.0 to 41.4(max) brass is Hornady/Frontier..... and primer WLR.

....keep in mind if using LC brass you will need to reduce your charge accordingly, in LC brass I find 40.5 g of IMR 4895 yields 2550 fps across my chrono.

....also go grab you a reloading manual from Sierra, Lee, Hornady, or Speer,....they all with out exception will list several .308 loads using IMR 4895. Manuals are a must have for reloading.(never trust the data we provide online, trust but verify)

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Aren't the CCI primers suppose to be to soft except for the military cci 34 and 41 because of slam fires, I use Win LR , there is a primer metal thickness chart on web I have seen before, can't recall location, anyway I don't use cci in anything but bolt guns except 34 and 41s
The primer softness isn't what causes problems. Its not seating the primer to the correct depth of .007 is where re-loaders run into issues. And the primer pocket should be uniformed with the sinclair tool. To ensure the primer gets seated deep enough.

Reactions: Mad Trapper

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I have been stuck with Sellier & Bellot Primers. They are the softest primers I have ever seen. They are like a soda can. I easily deform them if i seat them too hard.
This being said I have never had a slam fire and only one failure to light off in 1200 loads.
Seat anything correctly and you will be GTG. Not if you want accuracy then S&B might not be your 1st choice.
While we are at it:
168 Gr Sierra MK.
LC Case
IMR or H4895 41.5 gr.
OAL 2.800
A good Primer
Have fun.

Reactions: TheShooter
1 - 16 of 16 Posts