M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been testing a new BLR in 308 the last week. I've only tried two different bullets and powders. Both shoot inside 2 inches at 120 yards for 4 shots. I think the rifle is capable of better, but the trigger sure makes it difficult on a gun that light. I wouldn't be surprised if the rifle isn't actually closer to a 1" gun. I hesitated buying it because of hearing about the sub par trigger, but I'm glad I went ahead and got it. I remove enough wood from the forend and barrel band to float the barrel, which was a pain to do. Anybody else have opinions and experiences with a BLR? I don't hear about them much.
I am so happy with this one that I have got one in 223 coming. I shoot left handed and this is an especially handy rifle for lefties.

The loads I have found to shoot best are both with 45 grains of IMR 4064 and using hornady interlock 150 grain soft points and nosler 155 grain competition bullets(seconds). Both loaded to 2.785 OAL.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Yes, I have a '72 Belgian BLR in .308win
I have shoot both 150gr BTs and 180 gr BTs (my Reloads) and it will shoot sub 2" at over 150 yrds with open Sights
I don't have a Scope on it now but I do have the Sight Thru Rings for it
The Rifle handles very well and I love the Trigger in the Lever Action and the Locking Bolt which gives the Rifle its added accuracy

sorry for the poor quality Cellphone Pics

·
NSRA
2,579 Posts
I've had a BLR for a good long while, maybe 30 years, and it has always been my go to for brush hunting. If I happen on an open area and see meat at 200+yards its in the bag.

·
Premium Member
4,684 Posts
My neighbor had one of these in 308. The rifle would shoot incredibly well .....it was an honest 1.25 MOA rifle........however it would smack you pretty good. He harvested numerous deer and hog with it and it still looks new today......overall a very good weapon

·
Registered
595 Posts
I just scored a Pre81 BLR in .308 yesterday with a rear tang sight. It only has one of the elusive mags but luckily my father has a Belgain BLR in .243 with a couple of mags that are interchangable. Im looking forward to some trigger time with this baby!

·
Registered
316 Posts
My father has a BLR in 308, first two shots are in the same hole just about, after that huge spread. For a hunting rifle it's great. For consistent accuracy, after 2 rounds not so much.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have the BLR in .358

Love the gun and the caliber, but damn it's hard to find ammo.

Slayed many a deer with it over the 30+ years I've owned it

·
Registered
691 Posts
Have BLRs in 270 and 308 and very pleased with performance and accuracy. Feel like both have tight chambers (maybe headspace?) as I need to set shoulders back a bit more than my other 308s and 270s.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Have BLRs in 270 and 308 and very pleased with performance and accuracy. Feel like both have tight chambers (maybe headspace?) as I need to set shoulders back a bit more than my other 308s and 270s.
Lever Actions need their fired Brass full length re-sized like Semi Autos
A Bolt Action should re-used Brass fired in THAT Chamber and only neck re-sized

1 - 9 of 9 Posts