M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This rifle, a Norinco M14S, was my first exposure to the world of M14 battle rifles, even though it's labeled a "Sporter." I got it third-hand from a friend who said it wouldn't shoot good groups for him (he shoots Benchrest Competition), and he had read stories on the Internet about how the bolts and receivers on Chinese rifles were "soft" and had dangerous headspace issues. He bought it for $300, and sold it to me for $250, just to get rid of it.

My friend, or the prior owner had done a little fooling around with it, as it came with a Winchester rear sight, and a HR USGI walnut stock, instead of the soft Chinese wood, but everything else was stock, including the stubby, sawed-off welded-on remnant of a flash hider, per BATFE import regulations at the time.
I did some more research on the Internet, and found out that the forged Chinese receivers are actually pretty good, and the bolts and headspace issues might be overblown (so far, bolt and headspace seem fine). Anyway, USGI parts would fit, in most instances, so I could always upgrade later. I wanted to make the closest thing to a "real" battle rifle I could get, one that looked and functioned like a semi-auto Springfield M1A, and was accurate enough to hit what I was aiming at at any reasonable range, as long as I did my part. After a couple of years of fiddling around with it, replacing a part here or there, experimenting with sights, stocks, and scope mounts, I feel I've finally finished all of the mechanics of building what I was looking for.
I took it out Sunday afternoon and fired this 12-round group from the bench at 100 yards, using a new battle pack of German MEN 1992 ammo I just bought. Discounting the 2 flyers, which were most likely operator error, it made a 10-shot 1.4" group right in the bullseye.

From here on out, I'm going to concentrate on finding the best handloads to feed it, instead of fooling around replacing parts. Then I'm just going to have fun shooting the heck out of it. This is how it is set up, in its final configuration:
Norinco M14S Sporter receiver, barrel (1:12 chrome lined), bolt, gas system, op rod, and front sight.
USGI Winchester rear sight
USGI fiberglass stock and handguard (purchased here from a Forum member)
USGI SA trigger group (from CMP)
USGI NM reamed flash hider w. bayonet lug (from Numrich)
Bassett low mount scope mount (from Forum member) w. Nikon 3-9x40 scope
CMI US mfg. magazines, for 922r compliance

I got this one finished just in time, as I just saw that my credit card got hit today for a NEW CMP M14 Kit, so I'll have something else to play with by the end of the week. GI1

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I will take it off your hands for $400. haha

Way to go on that. Sounds like you got it in a good groove.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
I'm glad I kept reading Burner, cause I was just right before sending you a PM and saying in it : " I'll give you your money back for it, plus a buck $251.00....no problem "...then I read the rest of your post. Good shooting there !

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've learned a lot about tinkering with these things just from hanging around here, even before I registered as a member. I think the tight-fitting fiberglass stock, and the well-made Bassett scope mount had the most to do with the good groups. Prior to putting these together, with iron sights, I could pretty consistenly hit around in the 6" bull, but not dead center in the X ring. Optic sights help a lot, when you wear bifocals. GI1

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I'm glad I kept reading Burner, cause I was just right before sending you a PM and saying in it : " I'll give you your money back for it, plus a buck $251.00....no problem "...then I read the rest of your post. Good shooting there !
+1

lol, why can't I ever find a deal like that??? Glad that the rifle's working out for you!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Thanks for sharing your project and all the good results you are getting with it. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with when you pair some of the CMP parts with it.GITEN

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the call from FedEx that my CMP Grade "B" M14 Parts Kit will be delivered by 10:30 am Tuesday morning. I have an assortment of additional GI and aftermarket parts left over from working on the Norinco, and from my first CMP Grade "A" Kit. I've got two 22" barreled GI configuration rifles now, and I'm thinking I might want a compact version for my next project, maybe with an 18.5" barrel and a 1:10" twist rate. Not sure which receiver or barrel to go with, yet, but I'm leaning toward a 7.62mm Arms or LRB forged receiver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Too many fliers !! Can't group that thang b/c the receiver and barrel are out of spec. Haven't you heard about these on the internet ??!!?! J/K. Very nice rifle. Excellent grouping. You apparently found some ammunition that she reallly likes. Shoot her often ! Be proud of your rifle ! It'll serve you well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.