M14 Forum banner

I'm new to this sight and I'm glad to find you guys.

986 views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  MeatyMac 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm new to this sight and I'm glad to find you guys.

Please refrain from using the Firing Line as a substitute for each individuals responsibility. Any threads asking for a value will be deleted with this Sticky.

Also if you should decide to answer one of those questions, please refrain from giving a value. Without seeing the item in your hands, you can be doing an injustice to either the buyer or seller by stating a value.

You can research the Sold Classified Listings (SPF) section below here which has over 1,800 listings, or other auction sites across the internet to come up with a general price for an item(s).

DISHOUT

#3 ·
Welcome , when you look at auction sites for prices, only pay attention to prices of those items that have sold , some people have grand illusions concerning their prices or jack their prices up hoping to catch a fool and his $$.

#4 ·
Welcome from Texas.

I am an editor for a vintage motorcycle magazine. One of the consistent questions I am asked is 'What is it worth'? This depends on so much and can't really be answered unless I am standing right beside the bike. Typically owners have an inflated opinion of value. Other times, especially when they are buying, it would be good to know the approximate value of the bike.

The M1A/M14 hobby/business/illness is quite similar. A good starting point is with the current manufacturers sites...manufacturers of both complete rifles and manufacturers of reproduction parts. Compare the OEM's price with the gun being offered. Add or subtract depending on condition and quality of any work performed.
- Original parts, in spec condition are more desirable/valuable that reproduction. Some parts are available in usable/safe condition only as reproductions.
- Parts advertised as new, in the box, are not always what you expect. Many are as advertised. Some are repacked, worn out parts offered by less than scrupulous sellers.
- New, unused, in the box, as it left the factory is your only safe bet as to price and condition.
- You never know how competent an assembler of 'custom' firearms or bikes was. Can't tell by appearance in many cases.
- Photographs can distort reality. Lighting, focus and background can make a fine firearm look suspect...and vice versa.
- Touchie-feelie is the the best determination of condition...provided you know what to look for.
- Custom work can enhance the value and function of a firearm or vehicle, when done properly. Customization can also detract from the value if performed on a rare specimen, regardless of how well it is done.
- Nostalgia can negate all common sense and reason when it comes to what you pay.

'Value' is not always an easy question to answer. Just do your research on-line and don't allow your emotions to lead you too far astray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.