M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I shoot My M1A, the more I want to learn how to gunsmith. I guess it's the techy/mechanic in me, inspired by Legos, when I was a kid. I tend to modify everything.

I already have some basic skills in metal lathing & milling, but most of my lathing skills is from a wood lathe as I am a carpenter. I have a high attention for detail & am somewhat of a perfectionist; inspired by years of building model sailing ships. I would even tie my own ratline knots. Built a jig just for that purpose.

The very 1st thing I did, when I got my M1A, was take it apart, to see how everything worked. GI1 I didn't disassemble the trigger group though. Didn't have the tools for that.
But I would like to learn some serious gunsmithing. How would one go about getting started? Any gunsmith forum members here in Texas? ONTOS

·
Registered
248 Posts
Currently, I make really good money but tell my wife I want to be a gunsmith when I grow up. She says I can do whatever I'd like and I tell her that means we'd probably live on $15k (which $10k would have to be spent on toys). She says she'd still love me so I'm looking into it :). Might as well, my doc says I should either change jobs or buy life insurance.

What part of Texas are you in? I'm in Dallas. There's a gunsmith program at Murray State College in OK. There's only one machinist program left in the Metroplex that I could find (talk about lost skilled workforce). Personally, I only know one gunsmith and he doesn't seem fully interested in it anymore.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Make it a hobby, not a job.

First learn basic machinist skills, and tool operation (lathe, mill, etc.).
Do some projects on your own guns, or buy 'beaters' to repair.

Then perhaps setup your own 'basement business'.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Currently, I make really good money but tell my wife I want to be a gunsmith when I grow up. She says I can do whatever I'd like and I tell her that means we'd probably live on $15k (which $10k would have to be spent on toys). She says she'd still love me so I'm looking into it :). Might as well, my doc says I should either change jobs or buy life insurance.

What part of Texas are you in? I'm in Dallas. There's a gunsmith program at Murray State College in OK. There's only one machinist program left in the Metroplex that I could find (talk about lost skilled workforce). Personally, I only know one gunsmith and he doesn't seem fully interested in it anymore.
I live in Nacogdoches, which is a moderate size town about 2 hrs north of Houston & about a 4 hr drive from Dallas. It would be awesome if there was a gunsmith program at the University here or at Angelina College in Lufkin. ONTOS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.