M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the M1A addiction and I'm looking to purchase one in the next week, but I'm unsure of which model to go with. Loaded or Standard? I will be using if for the range only. Should I splurdge the extra dough and buy the loaded or standard and add on? Is the loaded gonna pull tighter groups at 200 yrds if I do my part? What rate of twist should I be looking for? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sounds like your making a good choice ... :wink:

When ya get some time and if you feel comfortable give us a shot and "register" instead of being merely a Guest. Lots of good folks here with good info to gain and share ... :)

Myself personally I like the "Standard" rack grades myself and they will do you about as good as the others and like you said ... You can always add on some bells and whistles down the road if you feel the need. Save a little with this decision up front so that you'll have a little spare cash for some things like ammo ... mags ... cleaning gear ... some of that super fine M14/M1A reading material ... a spare stock perhaps ... parts and accessories.

This is just one mans opinion and maybe some others will chime in here with their thoughts.

Either way ya go I don't think you will be disappointed ...

Keep us posted on your purchase and your range time.

Pull up an ammo crate and sit a spell with us by the fires side when ya feel the need ... :wink:

Six

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
At the range you are going to be shooting standard should be fine. Need to take into account the ammo you will be using. If just going to use bulk ammo I'd definately go with a standard.

HuntingHawk

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha PaperPunch:

I think you could easily change out all of the parts that the LOADED feature with no problem except the barrel. The FH, non-hooded rear and front NM sights and trigger group. The Loaded trigger group is okay but could be crisper and the non-hooded NM rear sight is only so so... I would prefer a real NM base with a hooded NM aperture...

So with all that said, a standard may be a good starting point. If you like the M1A then you could upgrade to your hearts content or leave her as is... I think that is one of key assets to this rifle, you can do many things with an M1A...

In any case, I would buy the standard, or the Loaded version if I got an exceptional price on it. I have 2 Loaded M1A's with SS barrels and overpaid on both but those were lessons learned... then I found this board and all of the folks here and learned how to be a more careful buyer. Also, be patient.

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Paperpunch,

Like SixT, I’m more partial to the standard ie rack grade myself. I’ve been down this road a few times before and wound up with some real nice stuff but the further you go off the beatin path the less application you’ll have. If you get a super cool ½ MOA rifle you’re not likely to take it out with surplus ammo and really heat up the barrel while killing advancing pop cans and water jugs. For you’re first M1A I’d recommend a standard rifle, if you want to upgrade later you’ll know better what you want. Problem is it’ll probably be another rifle.

Best Regards, T

·
Registered
37 Posts
The std is a great 1st M1A, with carefree chrome lined barrel, and look and feel of the real deal. The Loaded and NM is heavier by a pound or so due to heavier barrel, which may or may not feel "right" to you. The Supermatch is just downright heavy. hate to say this, especially on this board but the fact is you just may not like the rifle, and having the std means you didn't put that much into it and they are easy to sell anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got my first M1A this past year and I went with the SA NM because I was in a big hurry and that was the only one I could have immediately. Its a great rifle, I appreciate its accuracy and especially enjoy the ease of cleaning with the better barrel, but I would go with a standard. I don't have an interest in competing, I just have fun at the range, and my old eyes will never allow me to make use of its precision accuracy. On the other hand, I am afraid of ruining it and, like someone else mentioned, I tend not to use inexpensive ammo and generally baby it as much as possible. Bottom line, I would have just as much fun at less cost and with less worry if I had the standard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to thank everyone for their input. I've decided to go w/ the Standard model for now. I found one at a local shop for $1200 which seems a bit on the high side, but would rather keep the money w/i the community than ship it elsewhere. My first range report should be in by next weekend. What's a good plinking ammo? Once again, Thank YOu!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No problem there PP ...

Thats what we're here for and "Welcome Aboard" ... :wink:

I think you'll find that you made a good choice.

AMMO .... hmmmm .... lets see here .... :roll:

I would think that you'll want to try and pick up some milsurp (military surplus) and a lot of folks go with Portuguese and Hirt when they can find it available. They say that the South African .308 is some good stuff as well. I have also had some good luck with the Malaysian that can be found on links that need to be broke down from the M60 belts. I've heard tell that this ammo is "hot" but I have never had any problems with it in both the M1A and FAL. Of course some of the "good stuff" is your Federal Gold match .308 but it is somewhat pricey unless you can find some oin sale somewhere. Might want to keep your eyes out for some of the Austrailian .308 as well altho I have not heard any reports on how it does yet.

Whatever you choose to go with you'll want to make sure you have her all cleaned up real nice for range day and have it lubed correctly here and there and give things the once over to make sure all is well ....

I would ease her into range day as well as in "break in" on your barrel. There are at least two books out there that are nice to have around as well that pretty much explain things about your weapon and can at times be very helpful. One is by Scott Duff I believe and the other fellas name is rather lengthy and starts with a "K" ... Kneuhausen or something like that.

I am sure others will chime in here and give u there input as well and can certainly be of help to you also.

Enjoy that puppy and keep us posted ... :wink:

Six

·
Registered
608 Posts
Congratulations on your new rifle, and good luck with it.

Paperpunch said:
would rather keep the money w/i the community than ship it elsewhere
I know what you’re talking about there, I try to do the same thing and keep the money in the local community.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Paperpunch, I too think you will be quite happy with the Standard. Like Six said, got get yourself a case of military surplus ammo & go enjoy. Lube (grease or graphite) it up real good before shooting it the first time. Run about 100rds threw it. Then take it home & give it a good cleaning & inspect it well.

HuntingHawk

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JMO, but unless you are planning on long (over 600yrd) range shooting the 1in12 twist works fine. I've had very good accuracy from service grade chrome lined barrels.They will handle 168 grain match bullets, at least mine have. $1200 seems fair when you consider a new chi-com costs a little under a grand. I wish you many happy years with your new shooter.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
Above post is me, got logged off somehow. Must have forgot to chek the box. Glad to hear your getting the best all around rifle ever made IMHO :D .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts