M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a listing on GB.com the seller lists his stock as
Up for auction is an original M14 Walnut rifle stock.It is a Springfield stock, NOT to be confused with the company that now uses the name, it is the original Government Armory.For those of you with an M1A, this stock has the cut-away for the select-fire switch, replacement stocks do not.
can anyone clear this up?

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
The stock in question is advertized as a goverment stock.

Yes there are 2 springfield armories.
One is the USGI armory that is closed and the other is SAI, the civilian arms manufacture in Gennisie IL.

·
"Death From Above"
11,935 Posts
Yes there is but I dint know the details of the marks. They are found under the steel butt plate. I have a Sykes. Another way to tell is the proof makrs and other assorted stamps on the side or bottom of the stock. Some GI stock may have been sanded and yes there are people out there with stamps and they forge stocks for GI. Why I have no idea considering the cost of a gi stock is not really going to break the bank.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
From M14 Rifle History and Development Fifth Edition:

"Generally, commercial market wood stocks will not have a selector cutout. There has been at least one exception though. In 2005, Fulton Armory offered an unfinished new manufacture walnut USGI pattern M14 stock with or without the selector cutout. It was made by Boyds’ Gunstock Industries and marked BOYDS in the stock barrel channel."

Some USGI Springfield Armory stocks were stamped S A under the butt plate. All USGI M14 stocks will have a selector cutout.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
The Springfield Armory was a U.S. government facility located in Springfield, Massachusetts. It closed in 1968. http://www.nps.gov/spar/index.htm

Springfield, Inc. was founded in 1974 and does business as "Springfield Armory". It is located in Geneseo, Illinois.
On 'Wikipedia'(on which site many if not most entries are not truly 'vetted' by an authority on a subject, but written by persons with their own 'slant')...there is an 'interesting' editorial comment about this under their entry for "Springfield Armory"...

"Unfortunately, many people purchase that company's weapons thinking they are getting the high-quality arms produced in Springfield, Massachussetts; however they are not."

GI1

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
On 'Wikipedia'(on which site many if not most entries are not truly 'vetted' by an authority on a subject, but written by persons with their own 'slant')...there is an 'interesting' editorial comment about this under their entry for "Springfield Armory"...

"Unfortunately, many people purchase that company's weapons thinking they are getting the high-quality arms produced in Springfield, Massachussetts; however they are not."

GI1

CAVman in WYoming
You really need to confirm anything you read in Wikipedia. Anybody can enter or "update" (read "edit") material on that site, and there seems to be a "higher education bias" if you know what I mean. Even hard science like electronics is not always reliable.

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
What on earth do you mean????? Always these rubs agianst higher education....do you want your children to be idiots or successful professionals????

Reactions: Pro_USA1776

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From M14 Rifle History and Development Fifth Edition:

"Generally, commercial market wood stocks will not have a selector cutout. There has been at least one exception though. In 2005, Fulton Armory offered an unfinished new manufacture walnut USGI pattern M14 stock with or without the selector cutout. It was made by Boyds’ Gunstock Industries and marked BOYDS in the stock barrel channel."

Some USGI Springfield Armory stocks were stamped S A under the butt plate. All USGI M14 stocks will have a selector cutout.
You sir are invaluable....may you live a long and healthy life(not just because your a wealth of info LOLGI1)

GI1

CAVman in WYoming
Really..maybe a liberal wrote thatRNGR3RNGR3

·
Registered
44 Posts
What on earth do you mean????? Always these rubs agianst higher education....do you want your children to be idiots or successful professionals????
During ones INFREQUENT DEPARTURES FROM THE IVORY TOWERS, you must sometimes face a rude and harsher reality.

Higher education but they also need street smarts not just how to use a key board. I have a friend smart as a whip dumb as a rock.
Packing
Some media person commented about "not knowing anyone like that or anyone who voted for that candidate"...and then realized the truth of the statement. They live in a self imposed isolation from the realities that everyone else faces daily; they live in a gated community or an apartment building with 24 hour security. It is also unlikely that they served in the military. 9-11, Hurricane Katrina...pick something you prefer! should have enlightened them, but didn't. They live in their own little world, know little about anything outside it, and yet will tell others how to live...and would do so by force if they only could...because they're smarter than you illiterate red necks...and you lack the education or intelligence to understand your superiors.

·
Registered
839 Posts

Ive known quite smart people who come out of Universities as dumb*sses, Higher education does NOT mean 'more intelligent' usually just means more indoctrinated

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ive known quite smart people who come out of Universities as dumb*sses, Higher education does NOT mean 'more intelligent' usually just means more indoctrinated
Yes, I am a senior field grade officer who worked his butt off and I made it as far as I did because of my beautiful wife and family. I can see this thread going no where, but I will say I earned my graduate degree in Manufacturing because I got tired of listening to crap that the Chinese (or anyone else for that matter) can build everything cheaper including their crappy Norinco and Polytec .... there I said it again RNGR1...anyway, I did something about it, I wanted to learn how manufacturing businesses design and build things. I also started taking classes at the local community college, because I wanted to learn how to operate CNC and manual machines.

I will throw you one bone....liberals are dangerous, because they think they can make everything fair, where as guys like me what everyone to have the same opportunity. There is no substitute for courage, hard work, faith, and liberty.... EFF the CHINESE! There I said it again RNGR1

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
This is not a slam at a college education because I went to college, however there is truth in the following.

There is an old saying that an advanced degree is a piss poor substitute for common sense and brains.

7th

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.