M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you live in Maryland, go to the General Assembly website and look up SB288. Then get on the telephone and call your State reprensatives. I called the three State Senators that introduced this bill this morning. All three of their assistants said that the telephones were ringing off the hook. The one guy I talked to in on of the offices said that they had over 400 calls before lunch, all against, none for. If you live in Maryland, get on the phone. This bill is to ban "assault weapons" in the State...Mike

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
The Washington Post carried Ehrlich's response to this bill on the front of the Metro on Wednesday. He opposes the bill, and the Post is "apalled" that such a "common sense" measure wouldn't be welcomed with open arms. This from the same witless rag that proclaimed "Blood in the streets, a new Dodge City" when Florida, then Virginia, went for Shall Issue Laws.

I went ahead and called the idiots who presented the bill, as well as my own representatives. ALL had the same comment to offer, that the resounding majority of calls and letters are in the negative. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
JR said:
I went ahead and called the idiots who presented the bill, as well as my own representatives. ALL had the same comment to offer, that the resounding majority of calls and letters are in the negative. :D
That's what I've heard as well from people that have called, and supposedly there is talk of substituting the 94 AWB in place of SB288, which would still be bad. What's I'd love is a bill for MD to be must issue, but I think that's nearly impossible around here.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has it ever dawned on someone that the rifle used in question in the "sniper shootings" was reported to be stolen from a gunshop in Washington and transported into Maryland for the shootings. That is one of the arguements the "anti-gunners" are using. How many laws did the shooters break before pulling the trigger? I don't understand where the "great leaders" in Annapolis come from. Oh and by the way, JR, a "shall issue" bill is in the Maryland State Legislature now. But I doubt it has much of a chance of passing into law...Mike

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
It was FattyCBR that mentioned the CCW Bill, sir. I'm aware of this perennial, and agree that there isn't much hope. One day, though..... :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey guys,
Now I know this isn't the Political forum but this is very important. I can't write the material as well as a guy from one of the other forums so I'll just cut and paste.....

Fellow MD'ers: our elected offals are ramrodding this one through hard and fast. First read 30 Jan, it's up for Judicial Proceedings Committee on Tuesday, 10 Feb 04 at 1300. It'll keep most of the federal (94) ban and include "copycats", and some shotguns and handguns. It'll also allow them to ban further firearms at their "discretion", both new and retroactively. The new ban will also include M1A's and M1 Carbines.

Their last attempt failed, but the assembly has changed the filibuster rules. Even though Ehrlich said he wouldn' sign such a bill, he's desparate to get slots so he may waiver. There's also the chance that his veto would be overriden.

Get started on the e-mails now, follow up on the phone Monday. If you can attend the proceedings Tuesday, do so.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

A BILL ENTITLED

1 AN ACT concerning

2 Maryland Assault Weapons Ban of 2004

3 FOR the purpose of designating certain firearms as assault weapons; prohibiting with
4 certain exceptions a person from transporting an assault weapon into the State
5 or possessing, selling, offering to sell, transferring, purchasing, or receiving an
6 assault weapon; requiring the Handgun Roster Board to compile and maintain a
7 roster of prohibited assault weapons; requiring the Board to have the roster of
8 prohibited assault weapons published in the Maryland Register at certain times
9 and to send copies of the roster to certain persons; designating assault long guns
10 and copycat weapons as types of assault weapons; authorizing certain licensed
11 firearms dealers to continue to possess, sell, offer for sale, or transfer assault
12 long guns or copycat weapons under certain circumstances; authorizing certain
13 persons to continue to possess assault long guns or copycat weapons under
14 certain circumstances; authorizing a procedure by which a person may petition
15 the Board to remove a copycat weapon from the roster of prohibited assault
16 weapons; requiring the Board to hold a hearing under certain circumstances;
17 making it a misdemeanor to use an assault long gun or a copycat weapon in the
18 commission of a felony or a crime of violence; providing certain penalties;
19 requiring that certain firearms be lawfully possessed on or before a certain date
20 in order for them to qualify as regulated firearms for certain purposes; defining
21 certain terms; providing for the effective date of this Act; and generally relating
22 to assault weapons.

23 BY repealing and reenacting, with amendments,
24 Article_- Criminal Law
25 Section_4-301 through 4-306 to be under the amended subtitle "Subtitle 3.
26 Assault Weapons and Detachable Magazines"
27 Annotated Code of Maryland
28 (2002 Volume and 2003 Supplement)

29 BY adding to
30 Article_- Criminal Law

2 SENATE BILL 288

1 Section_4-305 and 4-306
2 Annotated Code of Maryland
3 (2002 Volume and 2003 Supplement)

4 BY repealing and reenacting, with amendments,
5 Article_- Public Safety
6 Section_5-101(p)
7 Annotated Code of Maryland
8 (2003 Volume)

9 SECTION 1. BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF
10 MARYLAND, That the Laws of Maryland read as follows:

11 Article - Criminal Law

12 Subtitle 3. Assault [Pistols] WEAPONS and Detachable Magazines.

13 4-301.

14 (A) IN THIS SUBTITLE THE FOLLOWING WORDS HAVE THE MEANINGS
15 INDICATED.

16 (B) "ASSAULT LONG GUN" MEANS ANY ASSAULT WEAPON LISTED UNDER §
17 5-101(P)(2)(II) OF THE PUBLIC SAFETY ARTICLE.

18 (C) [In this subtitle, "assault] "ASSAULT pistol" means any of the following
19 firearms [or a copy regardless of the producer or manufacturer]:

20 (1) AA Arms AP-9 semiautomatic pistol;

21 (2) Bushmaster semiautomatic pistol;

22 (3) Claridge HI-TEC semiautomatic pistol;

23 (4) D Max Industries semiautomatic pistol;

24 (5) Encom MK-IV, MP-9, or MP-45 semiautomatic pistol;

25 (6) Heckler and Koch semiautomatic SP-89 pistol;

26 (7) Holmes MP-83 semiautomatic pistol;

27 (8) Ingram MAC 10/11 semiautomatic pistol and variations including the
28 Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray;

29 (9) Intratec TEC-9/DC-9 semiautomatic pistol in any centerfire
30 variation;

31 (10) P.A.W.S. type semiautomatic pistol;

3 SENATE BILL 288

1 (11) Skorpion semiautomatic pistol;

2 (12) Spectre double action semiautomatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell);

3 (13) UZI semiautomatic pistol;

4 (14) Weaver Arms semiautomatic Nighthawk pistol; or

5 (15) Wilkinson semiautomatic "Linda" pistol.

6 (D) "ASSAULT WEAPON" MEANS:

7 (1) AN ASSAULT LONG GUN;

8 (2) AN ASSAULT PISTOL; OR

9 (3) A COPYCAT WEAPON.

10 (E) "BOARD" MEANS THE HANDGUN ROSTER BOARD ESTABLISHED UNDER §
11 5-302 OF THE PUBLIC SAFETY ARTICLE.

12 (F) (1) "COPYCAT WEAPON" MEANS:

13 (I) A SEMIAUTOMATIC, CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT CAN ACCEPT A
14 DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:

15 1. A PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES CONSPICUOUSLY
16 BENEATH THE ACTION OF THE WEAPON;

17 2. A THUMBHOLE STOCK;

18 3. A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;

19 4. A GRENADE LAUNCHER OR FLARE LAUNCHER;

20 5. A FLASH SUPPRESSOR; OR

21 6. A FORWARD PISTOL GRIP;

22 (II) A SEMIAUTOMATIC, CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT HAS A FIXED
23 MAGAZINE WITH THE CAPACITY TO ACCEPT MORE THAN 10 ROUNDS;

24 (III) A SEMIAUTOMATIC, CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT HAS AN OVERALL
25 LENGTH OF LESS THAN 30 INCHES;

26 (IV) A SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL THAT CAN ACCEPT A DETACHABLE
27 MAGAZINE AND ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:

28 1. A THREADED BARREL, CAPABLE OF ACCEPTING A FLASH
29 SUPPRESSOR, FORWARD HANDGRIP, OR SILENCER;

30 2. A SECOND HANDGRIP;

There's 4 more pages at the link.

Last I heard (about 1830...Feb 11), the vote was 5 to 5 out of 11 members. Better than this A.M., but it means this might drag out for a bit longer. It also means getting more calls and e-mails out so we can kill this in committee, before it reaches the floor. Don't be afraid to repeat your calls... volume speaks louder than content in The Free State.

Here is a link to those who are the members of the committee.

http://www.mdarchives.state.md.us/m...l/msa02795.html

Judicial Proceedings Committee
Brian E. Frosh ,Chair (410) 841-3124, (301) 858-3124
[email protected]

Leo E. Green ,Vice-Chair (410) 841-3631, (301) 858-3631
[email protected]

James Brochin (410) 841-3648, (301) 858-3648
[email protected]

Jennie M. Forehand (410) 841-3134, (301) 858-3134
[email protected]

Robert J. Garagiola (410) 841-3169, (301) 858-3169
[email protected]

John A. Giannetti, Jr. (410) 841-3141, (301) 858-3141
[email protected]

Larry E. Haines (410) 841-3683, (301) 858-3683
[email protected]

Ralph M. Hughes (410) 841-3656, (301) 858-3656
[email protected]

Nancy Jacobs (410) 841-3158, (301) 858-3158
[email protected]

Philip C. Jimeno (410) 841-3658, (301) 858-3658
[email protected]

Alex X. Mooney (410) 841-3575, (301) 858-3575
[email protected]

If we kill this POS from a HUGE liberal state now, the VPC/Brady bunch won't have a leg to stand on when the Federal Ban comes around for review.

There's ONE swing vote (Gianetti). Now before you start saying "I don't own any assault weapons...." Think again. They're now including M1A's and M1 Carbines. Please even if you aren't a Marylander, fire up those emails and snail mails!!!!! There's still time!!!!!!!

Rich

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last I read either today or yesterday is that the swing vote, Garagiola I think, is proposing substituting the Federal 1994 AW bill in place of SB288. Apparantly it can come up for voting immediately so it's still needed for people to call Garagiola's office and voice their opinion.

Milan

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your support here folks. We gotta keep the pressure on. I think the Virginia Line is looking better all the time...Mike

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've just gone to Maryland Public Television's web site. The question there is "are you in favor for an assault weapons ban in the State of Maryland." The results were 88% NOT in favor of a ban, 11% pro ban. Couple that with the fact that the State Police and the FOP all are AGAINST the ban. Time to put the pressure on folks...Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.