M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help, guys. I have too many rifles in too many different calibers, so I'm looking to streamline the collection. I've sold a few things off already, but I'm down to my two favorites, M1 carbines and M1A/M14. I have more than one (or two) of each, so I want to keep collecting one and keep one of the other. My question is which one to keep going with. They both have their merits and drawbacks, but i like them both enough to make this decision hard for me. So I'm leaving it up to the members, what would you do? Do I keep collecting carbines and sell all but one M1A, or visa versa? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
There is nothing definitive to collect with M1A rifles because everyone makes their own. M1A rifles are not an issue weapon and you cannot obtain a real M14 rifle, so what exactly would you be collecting?

I suggest you keep one M1A and collect carbines as there is a wide variety of original issue carbines to collect along with accessories and ammunition. Besides, carbines are a fun gun to shoot.

·
Registered
169 Posts
what to collect/shoot

While not exactly the same quandary, I had the same internal discussion before moving to Kalifornia. Leaving the wisdom of the move aside, the questions I asked were: 1) do I want to keep (and put in the back of my safe) any firearms (long gun or pistol) that were not Kalifornia compliant (at that time; the list has shortened); 2) all things considered, how would I simplify my firearm collection in terms of re-loading, common caliber, etc.; and 3) what did I really enjoy shooting/what did I shoot the most?

My answers:
1: sell anything that was not compliant at the time and re-invest the money into re-loading supplies, ammo (quality rimfire), compliant firearms on my wish list.
2) I kept only two center fire calibers: .30-06 (M1 Garand) and 7.62x51 (M1A). With these two calibers I had a common re-loading powder, primers, and bullets more or less; interchangeability was enhanced, component inventory was simplified.
3) Of all my high power rifles/chamberings, what I continually came back to were these to rifles/calibers, other than rimfire.

So a long answer to a short question. But asking yourself similar questions will help you get to your answer. And once made, don't second guess. While in a perfect world there are firearms I've sold that I would like to have in my safe (or safes as reality would require), I am satisfied with what I own and am able to exercise at the range I frequent. I must say that I miss having a 600 yd firing line for the M1A, but that is another story.

·
Premium Member
20,850 Posts
There is nothing definitive to collect with M1A rifles because everyone makes their own. M1A rifles are not an issue weapon and you cannot obtain a real M14 rifle, so what exactly would you be collecting?

I suggest you keep one M1A and collect carbines as there is a wide variety of original issue carbines to collect along with accessories and ammunition. Besides, carbines are a fun gun to shoot.
Perfectly said.
I don't see anything really collectable about M1As.
With the carbine you can keep on collecting and finding better condition rifles to add.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I collect both but I went down a specific path. My M1a's are all 7.62mm marked on the heals. NM and Super Match are Glen Nelson builds. I collected all the carbine manufactures then i branched off into every Inland variation. I find M1 carbines very fun to shoot and collect as do my grandkids. Poneyed up the cash and obtained a transferable M2 a few years back. Never regretted any of the purchases. Love both rifles and feel well armed with either.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, I'm honestly a little surprised, in a good way. I posted the same question in the CMP forums, and I pretty much got the same response. But I expected it over there. I kinda figured the guys on this forum would go M1A, but boy was I wrong. I didn't want to bias anyone's answer, so I left out just how many of each rifle I own. I've been collecting carbines for something like 5 years now, and I'm up to 12 rifles, one of each manufacture except IP, an early M1A1, and an extra IBM with an original night vision scope. I also have lots of original ammo, bayonets, slings, and other accessories. But I recently got bit by the M1A bug, and now have three of those, and I'm having a lot of fun shooting and learning about them, too. I've been thinking about selling off 90 percent of my Carbine collection, and putting the money into M1A's. But you guys have helped answer a question that's been nagging me for awhile. I'm definitely going to keep going on the Carbines, but I think I'll keep my big boy rifles, too. It is fun to actually hit a 300 yard plate every now and again. Thanks so much for all the input.
This is hands down my favorite gun forum. RNGR1

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well you've got two different sorts of considerations. One is collection/preservation, the other is shooting what is fun. There are mass market carbines out there so one doesn't need to shoot the good ones. With the M1As, it's more into the what do I want to have and shoot and much less about historic collection because there aren't really a lot of "originals," although I suppose there will be subsets for the collector there, too. I don't see any reason to go absolutist and close out all or one or the other, though.

·
Registered
964 Posts
What Garden Valley said. You can accumulate M1A's but M1 Carbines are truly collectable. M1A's are desireable to SAI fans; M1 Carbines are recognized around the world - and they don't make any more genuine "War Babies". Sometimes it takes time for a collection to find "its" focus...to concentrate in the area(s) that work for the collector/accumulator. Enjoy them both, but your long-term investment should be where your heart is.

Reactions: m1sniper

·
Registered
958 Posts
I see things a bit different...............................

All the posts make sense about the collector value and the different mfgs. of the carbine. I have had a few carbines in my life and to be sure they are nice but not my cup of tea.

I like reloading the 7.62 round and I also like to compete now and then, not much of that for a carbine where I live.
The carbine ammo is not as common as the M14s and I realized after many years I am not a collector, I thought I was but now know I am just a shooter. I don't have the time or money to have an arsenal of different types of weapons to try and become proficient with so I narrowed it down to my favorites
Those which have ammo available or at least componets to roll my own as I don't use store bought ammo anymore.

I only have ARs, M14s and 9mm handguns now, the M14s by far my favorite.

I use to have M1 Garands ( 9 at one time various years), 03' Springfields, Eddystones, M1 Carbines, SP1 ARs, .303 Enfields ( 3 different types) FALs of different types, various 1911s, various 9mms Berettas, Sigs and a Glock. Bolt guns of various calibers etc.

I came to the conclusion I was either nuts or insane as I could never become a good shot if I continued to change weapons. I don't like just looking at guns to say I have them as a collection. I like to shoot what I own and be very good at it. IMO none of these other rifles with the exception of the bolt guns are even in the same league as my M14s as far as accuracy.

Sorry for the rant but if you want to keep whatever, then keep it. I would keep the M14s, sure they are not "collectable" but they are my favorites.

Whatever you decide just enjoy it and have fun !

Joker OLIVEHELME

Reactions: hytekrednek

·
Registered
96 Posts
Keep all your carbines and your M1a's, shoot them when you can and enjoy them all. Most likley we will never be able to own a M-14 but the M1a is close enough for me. I've shot the M-14 on full auto and it is a beast but in its semi auto mode its a riflemans rifle. I get bord shooting targets and groups at 100yds. Had the opportunity to shoot at 20 inch gongs out to 600 yds with my M1a. Needeless to say I fell inlove with it all over again. I was amazed at how consistantly I hit at that range with 57 year old eyes. The 30 carbine cannot be compared in terms of velocity and knock down but remember its intened purpose was to supplement the 1911. Dont be fooled, it is a formidable weapon. The 30 carbine is an excellent home defence weapon and is often overlooked in that role. Like I said shoot them all!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Carbines. They have actually increased in value due to their history. M1a's have no real history unless it's a particular build like Glenn Nelsons. They are a commercial version of a military weapon that we can't own. -Lloyd BEERCHUG1

Reactions: nf1e

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I regret selling all but one firearm I have sold. It was junk. I say keep what you have, and buy more M1's for collecting/investment, just make sure you have 1 or 2 M1's that are shooters so you don't wear out or degrade the rarer and nicer ones. If you do decide to sell any, be 200% positive you will not regret it and want them back.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,128 Posts
For straight collecting, M1 Carbines now are going for a fortune, they would be preferred for that purpose.

However I don't know the purpose of your downsizing. The M1 Carbine would not be a good SHTF/all purpose weapon unless you are very small stature or just can't handle a larger M14/M1A due to medical problems.

M14s can be collected to a point, you must really be in love with the weapon, I once wanted one of every manufacture. That's collecting. I had 10 of them, Now in this terrible economy I am focusing on 2 M14/M1As, one that I always shoot that I plan to upgrade with USGI parts and one built out of brand new USGI parts for a "rainy day" that I keep new. I have some spare parts. But they do not and cannot have the same collector interest as the M1 Carbine. However, the M1A can be pretty much an all purpose weapon, it can do many things well. If you like them I'd go with Garden Valley's suggestion, keep the carbines and an M14/M1A. I'd have to have 2 M14/M1As though, that's just how I do it.
m14brian

·
Registered
262 Posts
Howdy Brandx70,

As for strictly collecting, stick with the M1 carbines.

Their value, for military models, has risen sharply over the years.

The pool of collectors (a.k.a. buyers) is very large.

Carbines that sold by the pile, when I was a kid, bring incredible prices today.

The commercial M1A variant rifles, a great rifle and I have always had one since the mid-70's, really do not have any collector value.

They have little, if any, historical value and the buyer's pool is relatively small.
M1A variants that sold for 400 to 500 dollars in the mid to late 70's bring less than
two-thousand dollars (in general) today.
With the exception of a few variations/manufacturers you can buy a brand new one today.
And there are more outfits building them.
The same money spent then on a military issue rifle, let alone an antique Colt or Winchester, would bring enough today to make a great down payment on a new car.

When I was in the auction business, Colt percussion and cartridge revolvers, in most cases, increased in value (and actual selling prices) up to 1500%.
Some more so.
Winchesters pretty much followed suit.

Military carbines, Garands and others went from ho hum values in 1990 to wow prices in 2000.

These are not opinions, just real life observations.

Keep yer powder dry,

John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.