M14 Forum banner

If it aint broke,Don't fix it!

1061 7
Ever had an ugly rifle that shoots so well with such reliability, that all future wishes for upgrades went out the window? I believe the new, used, 90's M1A loaded I recently acquired is such a beast.
It's scratched. Black plastic stock with rubber butt pad. Can you say butt ugly? Thought I'd hate the pad, but like the extra LOP. An early 60's 3x Leupold with post & cross hair on Sadlak mt. with a Karstan cheek rest? Perfect. All holes touching 3 shot groups off bi-pod at 100 with DAG? Your joking, right? No jams, no bump fires. I actually stopped looking in the PX for anything other than ammo deals. (I have mixed feelings about this;) I feel a little empty now as there's no upgrade's in my future. Please advise as a new, totally inaccurate, unreliable piece of crap is needed to make me feel whole again. ALCOHOLIC1
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,353 Posts
I had the same experience with my 1994 SAI standard with H&R barrel. No NM mods at all! .75" 5-shot groups with AE 168 grain ammo AND SHOOTING WITH IRON SIGHTS!!! I intended it to be a project rifle but as you say, those plans went out the window when I shot tiny groups!

Best $1200 I spent.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
I concur leave well enough alone

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I fail to see what the problem is. If the rifle works well and shoots as well as you say it does then it is obviously time to start shopping for another rifle to complement it. One good shooter deserves a companion, then another, then another.....

·
Resident Rascal
13,674 Posts
I'm glad to hear you got a good rifle this time jens5! Hope you enjoy it for a long time to come.

Reactions: jens5

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
If all parts are working together in harmony, don't change anything. If all bullets are touching one another @ 100 yds, you can only go backwards if you change anything. If you want to try anything different, spend your money trying different ammo to see if you get the same accuracy w/cheaper ammo. dozier

·
Registered
544 Posts
Back in '94 I purchased a new remington 700 in 338 win mag. right out of the box after bore sighting it, at the range with sighting in the scope the last two adjustments using the new winchester super X 338wm 225gr pp ammo i put two bullets the thru the same hole at 100yds taking the "X" completely out of the target. With this kind of accuracy with new over the counter why reload. I had plans on bedding the stock to make it shoot better before i shot it too i'm glad i shot it first. Somethings are better left alone. It wasn't accurate using the new remington ammo so i switched to the winchester super x ammo. I have a 1 in a million brand new rifle that can do this. I'm thinking about leaving it to the local LEO's for swat rifle it may save someones life someday.

One of my best buddy's and my youngest son have the same disease if its running great they have to touch it to make it better. I know all about this because i end up fixing there mistakes. Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.