M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Windham Weaponry AR. Now word is out that Colt Canada, who make the Canadian versions of the M16 and M4 (designated the C7 and C8), are finally about to start selling civilian versions of those rifles to the unwashed public. Back a few years ago, I finally got tired of waiting for this to happen and bought the Windham Weaponry version, made of course by the old Bushmaster people. It's been a good little rifle, a couple of rough spots, but Colt is what I've always wanted. For various reasons, I would be selling the Windham to get a Colt, but would there be any point to this beyond some sort of mental brand name thing?

5,445 Posts
I refuse to purchase Bushmaster rifles as they're the only type I have seen errantly shoot off a suppressor.

Reactions: Sweets

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
If you are happy with your Windham, keep it. If you don't like it, sell it and try a Colt. Better yet, keep the WW and add the Colt. Just remember... the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

·
Registered
425 Posts
There is not much reason IMO. The Colt is functionally no different. You'd just be buying a name. There are some small difference's (mostly cosmetic), but I have a Bushmaster and my best friend has a Colt and they are essentially the same.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I refuse to purchase Bushmaster rifles as they're the only type I have seen errantly shoot off a suppressor.
It's hard to see how that could be the fault of the rifle. Anyway, this is not a Bushmaster I'm talking about, that got sold and then Windham was founded & started making standard ARs to keep their former employees going in Maine.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Don't buy into hype.. There are lots of great companies out there that put out wonderful AR's and Windam is one of them but then so are Spikes, PSA, S&W etc..

·
Registered
424 Posts
There is not much reason IMO. The Colt is functionally no different. You'd just be buying a name. There are some small difference's (mostly cosmetic), but I have a Bushmaster and my best friend has a Colt and they are essentially the same.
+1 on that. If you want Colt worship, then That Other Forum is the place to go. Over there, if you don't have a Colt, you don't have an AR.

My Bushmaster has performed flawlessly since I bought it ten years ago. I've never even been tempted to buy a Colt.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
There is nothing wrong with what you have. Here is what I would do. Keep the WW, and get the Colt rifle/carbine. Put the mileage on the WW and have the Colt as a backup/shtf gun (after testing it). They will most likely shoot the same.

BTW, my old 6920 came with Diemaco/Colt Canada upper rec, bolt carrier, and bolt. Aside from the little stylized "D" stampings, they seem identical to standard Colt parts. The peen marks are the same too.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
What were your 'rough spots' with the Windham? Does it evidence good accuracy and reliability?

I have three Colts and have never had any problems with them, but I also have several AR's that I've built that are also great shooters and are reliable.

Colts do seem to hold their value over other makes, but again that's just a market characteristic.

Your call really.

Reactions: Sweets

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What were your 'rough spots' with the Windham? Does it evidence good accuracy and reliability?

I have three Colts and have never had any problems with them, but I also have several AR's that I've built that are also great shooters and are reliable.

Colts do seem to hold their value over other makes, but again that's just a market characteristic.

Your call really.
It's accurate and reliable right enough. There were some new rifle issues that were cured or went away but also it was rejecting magazines that other AR makes were not, most notably the 10 shot 'handgun' mag that is legal here for technical reasons (we have to pin rifle magazines to 5 shots). No, it's mostly a brand name issue with me, somehow the 'real thing' is a Colt. I can't say this was due to advertising, because I've seen none either way. And, a little of the forbidden fruit thing going on too, which logically speaking would go away once they're no longer 'forbidden'- but won't.

Colts could well go on the market here at a high premium price, at which point I would lose interest because I don't like being had.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Light bulb goes on: I should add that Colt Canada have the cold forged barrels required by our military that their sales staff at military and police shows claim make them twice the rifle of any other... so I guess I HAVE been exposed to one-on-one advertising. There you go, that's how they got me.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Technically the 'Real Thing' would be an Armalite. That aside, just because it says Colt on the side of the receiver doesn't make it any better than the one you already have. However, it is your money, spend it however you want.

·
Registered
293 Posts
In all truth the lower is sort of a commodity for AR15/M4s. The upper is where the men are separated from the boys: the upper receiver and barrel and bolt group are what make the Colt LE6920/M4 a great SHTF rifle. With that said I purchased a Colt LE6920/M4 upper off of Snipers hide, NIB. I pieced that together with a PSA Lower that I modified to include a RRA chromed 2 stage trigger. I also changed the Colt Bolt out with a Fail Zero bolt. I also changed the colt charging handle to a BCM "gun fighter" large size. I topped that all off with a EOTech XPS2 and 3x EOTech Magnifier.

So the barrel and upper receiver are Colt. The rest are a selected for my SHTF M4. So core is Colt. But there are better mods that could be done above and beyond a fully Colt rifle.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Get what you want. Then you won't second guess yourself.

Deuces

·
Registered
990 Posts
Get what you want is always a good suggestion - your gut is often more right than your head.

In this case, there are hard, technical differences between Colt and FN and "Everyone Else" that are NOT "Just a Name" - that's crap from the owners and sellers of those lesser brands. I would never tell anyone that their AR Clone will not give them adequate service - it might. But the only standards the clone makers meet are what they choose to meet - they could, for instance, make a bolt out of paper mache' if they wanted to and paint it black.

Having said that, a few supporting points. As an LE trained Colt Armorer, who has worked on Bushmasters quite a bit (and Windham IS Bushmaster, same folks and thus same processes) they were NOT impressive in an environment where they digested a couple thousand training rounds per year. Headspace was marginal on some in our arsenal after only a couple of years usage, and replacing gas tubes and bolt rings regularly was common - tolerances/hardness issues, it would appear. So just how is Colt different?

Only Colt and FN have the (Colt developed) Technical Data Package, that specifies EXACTLY what materials, what hardness, tolerances, etc, must be used. Colt makes the parts for their military ARs and their civilian ARs on the same machinery, with the same processes and materials - in most cases (except for full auto/barrel length legality issues) the parts ARE the SAME Parts the military gets. ALL Colt Bolts and Barrels are Proof Tested and Magnetic Particle Inspected. All subcontractors must submit their raw materials for testing in Colt's metallurgy lab - before production - and then the finished parts are tested upon completion. Colt is building it's parts to a Military Contract specification.

The AR copiers do not need to use any particular Standard for metallurgy, hardening, or tolerances - they can - and some makers do, buy from the lowest bidder to maximize profit. Fortunately for them, the average AR buyer probably won't put a 1000 rounds total through his "safe queen" - and the differences won't show up in such light usage.

While it is true that the barrel, bolt and bolt carrier group are the critical hard parts, I prefer Colt for the rest, too. Most of the clones only use double (or less) anodizing on their recievers. Colt uses triple hard coat anodizing - lasts longer. Chrome lined barrels, NATO spec chambers are better than the alternatives for real usage, too.

Oh, and about the "Armalite" being the "original". Not exactly. The "Armalite" AR-15s were originally built by Colt, in Colt's factory with both company's markings. The Armalite AR company of today merely bought the trademark, and have absolutely nothing to do with the original Armalite/Fairchild Aircraft company. CC

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Ive run the living crap out of my 2002 bushmaster for the last 11 years and shes run without nary a hiccup. Almost time for a barrel replacement. Accurate and dependable.

I built my last M4gery out of a windham barrel, colt BCG and noveske lower and even when she runs hot, still runs great. No evidence of tolerance stacking or any other issues.

I would still like to have a factory Colt for peace of mind, however.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts