M14 Forum banner

I took the red pill

3435 Views 11 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Pvt. Joker
I recently caught the patriotism bug after talking to an old timer. He passed on and left me lots of his old reloading gear but I haven't got a clue. Looking for continuing guidance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
8,688 Posts
So tell us what you got and intend to try and go from there?

Reactions: Pvt. Joker

· Registered
3,736 Posts
I recently caught the patriotism bug after talking to an old timer. He passed on and left me lots of his old reloading gear but I haven't got a clue. Looking for continuing guidance.
Like Jeff said, we're here to help. Plenty of good people and info on this forum. -LLoyd BEERCHUG1

· Resident Rascal
13,674 Posts
If it last more than 4 hours seek medical help immediately!... Oh wait that's the blue ones.
No Wasted, that's if you have a resurrection! Because if I had one it would certainly be a case of raising the dead! GI1

· Registered
2,915 Posts
My first loading experience was with revolver & pistol cartridges like 38/357 and 45acp. Hopefully you'll find them as easy & forgiving to learn on as I did, back in those days we had no internet, everything came from books and I had no one to teach me. Today there's a whole new world of information available, all you need is the will to put the old man's gear into use, I'm sure he would be proud! Kinda cool actually.

· Registered
3,338 Posts
Hopefully there's a reloading manual in there.
Not just a load 'recipe book', but a big section covering all the details about what and how is done for reloading.

If you don't have a book, try local library or gun shop. The process hasn't really changed too much, so even older books are still usefull to learn about the process. Mine is an old Lyman book.

It's not difficult, but does require time and concentration on doing it RIGHT.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

· Registered
2,972 Posts
Hello,
Read your reloading manual(s), then reread them again. Then ask some questions.
As for youtube, How does someone with no experience at all, know if he is watching BillyBob Doesn't Have AClue or Mr. Midway H. Potterfeild.
Your best bet is a good old book. The problem is, you have to read the entire book and understand its contents. This is were rereading comes into play.
That's my two cents on the subject.
Play safe and happy shooting..

· Registered
1,045 Posts
Yeah man !

It's great you have the opportunity to continue on in an age old American tradition.

I still use my dads old Lyman press from the early 1960s.

Do what the previous posters advised, get a good reloading manual and READ, then read it again many, many times.
Don't be overwhelmed by any of this as at first it may seem a bit unnerving messing with gun powder, primers ect. but it's just a series of procedures that need to be followed and NO SHORTCUTS TAKEN AND ALWAYS SAFETY IS #1 !

There are few things more satisfying than to shoot good scores or take game and feed your family with your own home rolled ammo.
It just makes the shooting experience a bit more complete IMO.

Also there are lots of friendly folks here that reload and are willing to help you along in your new endeavour too.

Good Luck !

JOKER
OLIVEHELME

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.