M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for my only California approved handgun for the last couple of weeks. The initial estimate was like 2 years time frame. Unbelievably I found the exact firearm which I wanted in the first place and it's a California model. Three days later, touching it for the first time at my favorite local gun shop! The best thing is it came together with my LRB M25 which I waited for a year. Talk about double happiness!

·
Registered
303 Posts
What makes a handgun "OK" in California?--just curious. also if I had to move there can I take my guns I purchased in washington their? --M1a--1911, Lr-308 varmitter?--I have no intention of moving to the blue state, but I never thought I would leave Montana either

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,067 Posts
Awesome score! That's a beauty.
I know the CA approved list, it's a SOB to say the least. I'm done with handguns so it's all good. Get 'em now while you can, it will just get way stricter.
m14brian

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
What makes a handgun "OK" in California?--just curious. also if I had to move there can I take my guns I purchased in washington their?
California has a unique way of banning guns called the "safe handgun roster". These are guns that have been "tested" (whatever that means) by CA DOJ and found to be "safe". A gun manufacturer that wants to sell its guns here must provide the guns to DOJ free of charge. If there are several versions of the gun (nickel plated vs blue steel, for example) each version must be supplied or it won't be tested and (hopefully) approved.

Fortunately the roster only applies to new handguns, so generally people are free to sell and transfer guns between private parties and also bring their off-roster guns with them when they move here.

The magazines are a separate issue, however. I don't believe that it is legal to bring magazines >10 rounds here even if they are the standard mags for an otherwise-legal handgun.

Edit: The OP reminds me--I think it would be good to get a nice 1911. I currently don't own one, and think I should.

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.