M14 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Yeah I'm aware of some of their dumb laws up there. For decades the hbar profile was about the only thing available, and I've owned a couple dozen. The balance can be neutralized but it takes adding some weight.

Gosh.

I gotta say, as an old wood and iron
gun guy, that whole discussion is a bit
intimidating.

I was thinking about finally adding a
Colt 6721 to the stable - a carbine length,
that has the be the HBAR as I live in
Maryland. But, all the fancy
maintenance and PhD-level
physics seemingly needed for the
reliable operation of an
AR-15 platform may be a drain on
the fun factor.

I can deal with the mag issue, but rings, buffers, etc.
Huh?

Or, is it really routine in the world of black rifles?
Don't let a few woes from the gas system deter you.

Any "issue" is easily fixed on an AR15.

Changing buffers and buffer spring weights is just fine tuning.... usually for the operators "wants".

I have numerous AR's and I prefer the ejection at about "4:30" .... that was easily done.

Carbines , by design, will run "harder". Gas holes are different from dang near every manufacturer.... ( Ultimately, that is what makes a AR run harder. )

I have a 14.5 barreled BCM ELW Fluted middie ( very light weight ) that is a -cat to shoot. H3 Buffer, Tubbs spring.

were you shooting factory or reloads?
coulda been bad round
how often do you clean and lube?
has it happened again?

Check the gas rings. Mine started to go and started not locking the bolt back. Then they finally went to the point that it was short cycling. Only thing I could guess is that the front two lined up and blew the last ring out... Replaced them and I was gtg.

ARs really aren't complicated... they are much easier to build then the M14 and are easily diagnosed if you understand the function. Just take a few evenings reviewing videos and researching the operation. It's very mechanical and can be picked up pretty quick.

Keep your head up and stick with it,

Russ

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.