M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got into reloading and was reading everything I could find on it and like an idiot I just ASSumed that anything .308 would be fine for my m1a.I bought 2 8 lb jugs of varget because I heard nothing but good about it and also 175 smk.now Im reading bad things about varget even though the tech at hodgdon said it would be fine in my rifle.I ordered the sadlak grooved nm piston. should I try to trade or sell the varget,and am I looking for trouble using this combo? I hope you can give me the answer I want to hear since cash is and will be very tight.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
I just got into reloading and was reading everything I could find on it and like an idiot I just ASSumed that anything .308 would be fine for my m1a.I bought 2 8 lb jugs of varget because I heard nothing but good about it and also 175 smk.now Im reading bad things about varget even though the tech at hodgdon said it would be fine in my rifle.I ordered the sadlak grooved nm piston. should I try to trade or sell the varget,and am I looking for trouble using this combo? I hope you can give me the answer I want to hear since cash is and will be very tight.
Varget will work safely but as for accuracy it's hard to say. I can't be more specific without more info but I'd say that a good load, using the 175 SMK, would be about 41 - 42 grains out to about 800 yards and a top end load would be around 43 grains which would be pushing around 2600 fps.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
i dont use varget anymore because there are much better choices out there. plus, whether it was a weak op-rod or not i dont know, but i had to get my op-rod re-fit to my receiver after running varget because the rifle would not cycle properly with a bent rod.

i keep to myself mostly on this because of people calling me a liar, i dont like much, but that is my experiance and i thought i would share.

opinions may vary

edit to add. i was useing the lightest load in the hornady manual. might have been my problem right there i dont know, maybe it burns better with a closer to max load.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys,Im only looking to shoot accurately out to 600 yds with this after reading about the loads.before I read all this I did load a few 165 spitzers for hunting and shot 4 rounds, they ejected at about 1 oclock is this normal?

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
While I have no problem with talking about loads that work for me, everybody needs to recognize that nobody hand loads exactly the same way. Some are very detail oriented and others just want to be able to shoot to combat standards. There are certain powder and bullet combinations that seem to work well no matter who uses it but Varget doesn't seem to be one of those powders. I find that it works better for bolt action rifles rather than gas guns.

Varget is one of those powders that people either like it or they don't. Personally I don't like it for the kind of shooting I do but it will work satisfactorily for most kinds of shooting and it is safe.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
crap ! now I have to go get different powder.thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
crap ! now I have to go get different powder.thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
I bet there are plenty of people who wish the were "stuck" with 16lbs of Varget. Varget isn't some obscure powder; there is a demand for it so you won't be hurt too badly if you sell/trade it. And as was hinted above, what you think is a "wonder powder" may not be liked by your rifle. You pay your money and you take your chances.

Reactions: RAMMAC

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I recommend testing the powder before deciding to get rid of it. It may work perfectly fine for your kind of shooting. The only reason I don't use it is because I use a ballistics program that gives me detailed information about the internal ballistics and I like other powders better. But my choice is based on numbers and in some cases I'm splitting hairs that normally don't mean much to most people. I'm a picky kind of hand loader and have to have everything exactly as I expect them to be or I'm not happy, Varget has been used by a lot of long range shooters for many years.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks again. it shoots great in my colt ar with a 1-7 hbar, so maybe when I get my gun back from fulton with the kreiger barrel 1-10 twist it will work fine too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts