M14 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Retired
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have a Marine Corps 1903 in the same way. Perfect rifle other than the shaggy bore. I won’t change a thing.
Yes, keep it original if possible. My rifle, with the bad bore, still has the original barrel. It doesn't pay to rebarrel it to make a shooter out of a "low numbered receiver". I love this rifle as is, but it will get a nice cleaning and TLC.GI1

Reactions: XM25Ren

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bore, schmore

I've got an Israeli-Mauser converted to 7.62 and the bore looks like the inside of a sewer pipe ... looks like a corrosive ammo test case.

It still shoots a grapefruit sized group at 100 yards

I bet yours does as well or better, plus, it's just a dang nice piece of history

Congrats OldSarge, enjoy it, and those Grandkiddos!

Reactions: Old Sarge

·
Retired
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Bore, schmore

I've got an Israeli-Mauser converted to 7.62 and the bore looks like the inside of a sewer pipe ... looks like a corrosive ammo test case.

It still shoots a grapefruit sized group at 100 yards

I bet yours does as well or better, plus, it's just a dang nice piece of history

Congrats OldSarge, enjoy it, and those Grandkiddos!
Thanks for this post, and my grandkids are my #1 priority.GI1
Every day I thank God for my 2 grandchildren... They truly are God's greatest gifts.

As for my '03, after a lot of scrubbing, there seems to be a hint that this bore was once rifled...RNGR4

I now think that the metal finish could be the original rust bluing. After some light buffing with 0000 steel wool and Break Free, the finish is very dark, about black. It doesn't have the rough sand blasted surface common to Parkerizing. I have read over on the CMP forum that what may appear to be Parkerizing is actually the original rust bluing. I will have to post some pics over there and see that their experts say. Old original '03's are quite rare, as most went through rebuild, many more than once.

Pics forthcoming, but I need to get to a photoshop to get my film developed... I'm old school.RNGR4

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow, the plot thickens with this rifle, exciting! Yep, get those pics on the CMP forum, there's some serious museum level guys that live for those "what do I have here?" posts.

What's "film?" 😉

·
Retired
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Wow, the plot thickens with this rifle, exciting! Yep, get those pics on the CMP forum, there's some serious museum level guys that live for those "what do I have here?" posts.

What's "film?" 😉
Too late. The rifle is sold. I made $50 on it, and that will buy me 100 packs of ramen noodles. Old Sarge is poor, (and also a joker)RNGR2 I really didn't sell it, and I did clean it up a little and got the stock wiped down with a rag and lacquer thinner, and applied a light coat of "thinned BLO" last night.

I will post some before and after pics soon, but I have the grandson coming over today, so I won't likely have the time for pics until tomorrow. This is really an awesome rifle with a great history.DI2

·
Retired
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I found a few minutes tp post some "before pics" I took the other day. I still need to take some "after pics" yet. Maybe today ???

Needless to say, I am thrilled with this rifle, and a proud owner of a fine piece of US military history.GI1

·
Retired
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

What's "film?" 😉
Film ??? It's for taking pictures. I have my camera right next to my rotary phones....GI2

·
Retired
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Retired
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Here is an interesting pic with a small hole in the follower. I have never seen this before. Any ideas why it is there ???

And a couple more pics...

·
Retired
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I had a bit of a difficulty removing the rear sight. I tried to turn the windage knob and could only get less than one full turn. I'm sure it hasn't moved in years...

I sprayed it with Kroil and took a small pair of Channel Lock pliers, padded the knob, and tried to very carefully turn it without damaging anything. Those old style dished knobs are probably very hard to find.

I ended up taking a little block of wood and a very small ballpeen hammer and carefully tapped the sight and it moved ever so slightly, so I turned the windage knob a little bit, and a little more very light tapping, and continued doing this until the rear sight swung clear of the base so I could then remove it.

I need not say how much I love this old rifle and its proud history. Thanks again to 4th award expert !!! GI1

·
Retired
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Film ??? It's for taking pictures. I have my camera right next to my rotary phones....GI2

Even my car is over 30 years old...RNGR4

And my other car is over 40 years old...

·
Registered
99 Posts
OMG what a fun thread! But I am sooo mad at you for the "I sold it for $50" profit! I think my heart stopped. I definitely held my breathe, thought to myself "he seemed like such a nice guy who would do such a thing?"

Nice job on the stock and thanks for the detailed pics. We are lucky to be the curators of these pieces of history. Not sure if I would be tempted to steam the dents and steel wool the wood. What are you thinking?

Love that IROC. Those were used as celebrity spec racers IIRC

Reactions: Old Sarge

·
Retired
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
OMG what a fun thread! But I am sooo mad at you for the "I sold it for $50" profit! I think my heart stopped. I definitely held my breathe, thought to myself "he seemed like such a nice guy who would do such a thing?"

Nice job on the stock and thanks for the detailed pics. We are lucky to be the curators of these pieces of history. Not sure if I would be tempted to steam the dents and steel wool the wood. What are you thinking?

Love that IROC. Those were used as celebrity spec racers IIRC
The rifle stock was in very nice shape and very clean for its age. I just took a rag with a bit of lacquer thinner and wiped it down a little. Then I applied a light coat of "thinned BLO" and let it dry overnight. No steel wool or steaming dents for the old war horse. Every mark on that stock was earned.

Reactions: PattonWasRight

·
Retired
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well done, that will look great on the wall.

Yes, I have something like this in my plans. This fine old rifle deserves more than getting crammed in the back of my safe.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I see you got it apart. The stacking sling swivel was rusted tight when I had it. How did it look under the wood? Can you check the muzzle wear? I dropped a bullet in and it only went to the ogive, so I was wondering if it had been shot much. I see you did find the stock stamp, lots of hands rubbing on it to wear it off like that. Glad you are enjoying your "new" rifle.
Bob

·
Retired
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
How about a whole profile picture.
Here you go...GI1
If any more pics are wanted, I'd be happy to oblige.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts