M14 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
The adoption of the GG caused a big Stink!
It was a project to replace the jeeps, the M37s & the M35s all in one. It took so Long that they had a make another run of M37s AND had to use those M715 Jeep pickups. Once the GG was in place & became clear what a failure it was the military adopted the Stewart / Stevenson LMTV & FMTV line of vehicles.
As far as I know nothing has replaced Jeeps or the CUCVs, I guess they're just gone. Well we got the MRAPs.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Shoulder Muscle Beard Eyewear Cool

That's a regret I still have.

I served 4.5 years in the Regular Army, and 6 in the Texas National Guard.

Looking back is hard sometimes. Every uniform I wore is not just gone, but replaced several times. Nearly every vehicle is gone, except for a few M113s lurking here and there. In the air, only the venerable Chinook soldiers on.

In the arms room, the M-16 hangs on, but in greatly evolved shape. The M203 is still around, but in steadily decreasing numbers as it heads for the door. The M2HB remains eternal.

The Fort (McClellan) I I did Basic at is gone; only one unit I served in still exists.

They even changed the MOS designations.

So much has changed. A lot for the better, admittedly, but sometimes it is hard to look back and see how little remains.

Any other old farts missing the old days?
I did 2yrs with a California National Guard unit in between my years with the Seabees. I was a track mechanic and we had gamma goats along with the M113 and a CEV. we were a combat engineer unit. during my first enlistment in the Seabees I was a mechanic and worked on everything from out M151 jeeps up to our TD20 dozens, MRS110 scrapers, graders etc.
Font Poster Adaptation Smile Crew

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
View attachment 487596

I did 2yrs with a California National Guard unit in between my years with the Seabees. I was a track mechanic and we had gamma goats along with the M113 and a CEV. we were a combat engineer unit. during my first enlistment in the Seabees I was a mechanic and worked on everything from out M151 jeeps up to our TD20 dozens, MRS110 scrapers, graders etc. View attachment 487595
Had a friend that was army core of engineers,drove a tugboat that they went fishing off. ,They were prone to borrow what they needed/wanted he had the nicest jeep on post was NEW. There was a bunch just delivered to Norfolk, he was there geting parts for tug, some how jeep wound up on deck under tarp , when they got back to base it had been painted to match the tug , even used tugs number. then russians put stuff in cuba and off to blockade duty , only reason he had va privileges was that , they let him go home right after to attend a family funeral ,he received his separation papers ten days early .I knew someone else they did that too but he was quartermaster core and only delivered mail during postal strike so no va.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
The adoption of the GG caused a big Stink!
It was a project to replace the jeeps, the M37s & the M35s all in one. It took so Long that they had a make another run of M37s AND had to use those M715 Jeep pickups. Once the GG was in place & became clear what a failure it was the military adopted the Stewart / Stevenson LMTV & FMTV line of vehicles.
As far as I know nothing has replaced Jeeps or the CUCVs, I guess they're just gone. Well we got the MRAPs.
Technically, the Hummer replaced both the M151-series, and the CUCVs. Also, you left out the horrible 'let's bail out Chrysler' M880-series pickups (and standard Dodge pickups, Dodge Ram mini-pickups and K-cars also purchased for the purpose of bailing out Chrysler).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Technically, the Hummer replaced both the M151-series, and the CUCVs. Also, you left out the horrible 'let's bail out Chrysler' M880-series pickups (and standard Dodge pickups, Dodge Ram mini-pickups and K-cars also purchased for the purpose of bailing out Chrysler).
We loved those when we got them. They replaced M151A1s that were a decade past their last legs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In the motor maint trailer…. There was none
Correct no spare but they were supposed to carry the strut/kit to allow 5 wheel operation. I posted link to a picture of a NOS kit with boxes. Although truth be told I never saw a kit myself. If they ever did carry them they were removed before our shop for repairs. SOP was all tools, supplies etc had to be removed before our shop accepted them. I worked at a 3rd echelon repair facility.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Be glad you never got to drive the goat. I assume you still have some of your hearing left. Loudest vehicle I ever encountered.
I have to agree about the Goat being L-O-U-D, but fortunately that wasn't a problem during the time that I had one as 'my' vehicle. I was Opns Sgt for the only US Army tank company authorized an Opns Sgt position (also the largest tank company in the US Army and the only 'Separate' tank company). The Ops section vehicle had been an M113, until we got a new commander who decided that he wanted the M113 as a command vehicle mostly because it had enough room for the radios and map board.

Suddenly I inherited a Gama Goat that had belonged to the motor sergeant (HE was pissed! That Gama Goat was known as his personal Winnbago due to the very well built, sealed and insulated box on the back). Our 'section' consisted of myself, the Commo sgt (who happened to be a wireman, not really a radio guy), and one commo repairman. I ended up being the one who mounted the radios -- the army didn't have a number for the configuration we built, but basically it was a VRC-12 plus a second RT-246, all with secure capability, wired through an AM-1780 set up as a "tracked" vehicle so we had full remote control and intercom capabilities. Two control boxes in the back, two control boxes in the cab, and one control box accessible from the roof of the 'Winnebago' (a great place to sleep if it wasn't raining). Headsets took care of the noise level, and with intercom we could even carry on a normal conversation while driving down the road or cross-country.

No one who hadn't seen the rig could figure out how we could operate in three secure nets simultaneously passing phase lines, spot reports, and other traffic in real time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I heard it had mixed reviews, but it looked cool as he!!. None of the units I served in had one.
The only time I hated gama goats was the few months that I was NCOIC of the Army detachment at Helmstedt Germany where we had to work with our Soviet "allies" to process every convoy going between West Germany and Berlin. Part of processing each convoy was a detailed count of the number of vehicles and trailers. Always had trouble over the count whenever a unit came through with a gama goat. The Soviet army rotated a lot of brand new third lieutenants through Marienborn so it was almost always some new officer trying to count the vehicles and they always counted a gama goat as one light vehicle and one trailer while we counted it as one light vehicle but no trailer.

We almost had the Soviet officers convinced that a gama goat really was all one vehicle when some damn infantry unit came through driving just the front half of a gama goat and with the back half disconnected and loaded in the bed of a 5-ton truck!

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,619 Posts
I seem to recall from one a friend had that they did not have self centering steering and you had to manually straighten them out after a turn.

eQ

21 - 31 of 31 Posts