Votes: 26 70.3%
  • A commercial barrel

Votes: 11 29.7%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to order a 7.62 forged receiver, I have everything I need to finish this Rifle; Every Part is either near new or NIW HR . The Barrel is an HR it is almost virgin looks as if it was never or hardly fired, absolutely pristine, Yes the is a punch in the "P" so it had been installed
My fear is that if I shoot the Heck out of and Wear this barrel out I may never find a replacement as cherry
So what do Ye say Use the HR or buy a new Comercial, If Commercial which one? No I will not be shooting matches anytime soon. just plinking and hunting

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Nothing is forever...

Barrel the receiver with the HR and have fun. I put one on mine and I've never looked back. When I bought a second receiver, I got a Criterion, someday I'll put it together and shoot it and find out how they compare.
Bruce

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
a barrel will never do you any good sitting on a shelf, either install it or sell it. if the later, i would look at a criterion or krieger.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Use the HR...

It might be that magic barrel.

It might be a dog.

Never know till you go!GI6

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Use it and enjoy it. If you do not, someday, someone else will......

·
Registered
744 Posts
Why don't you, if the group buy is going. Get the barreled receiver from 7.62. And save the HR, I have a HR on my standard. It really shoots.

·
Registered
80 Posts
HR all the way!

Hey Charles, last year I was in the exact same predicament as you, except my build was LRB and my parts kit was all NOS TRW. My TRW barrel was pristine like yours and I was also considering using a commercial barrel, so I consulted with the fine gents on this forum and they helped me come to the conclusion to use my TRW barrel and I could'nt be happier. Your rifle will also be a bit more valuable as an all matching HR parts rifle. If you DO decide to go with a commercial barrel I'd go with an LRB USGI contour chrome lined barrel made by criterion special for LRB, it's pretty much the same as a brand new USGI type barrel and is top notch quality. But still my $.02 is to stick with the HR barrel, good luck with your build sir!MCORPS1

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'd put the H&R on it you'll likely never ware it out.. those chrome lined barrels last a long time.. like 20-30K rds...and more.. B2B

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I'd put the H&R on it you'll likely never ware it out.. those chrome lined barrels last a long time.. like 20-30K rds...and more.. B2B
Agree, use the H&R barrel and save your $$ for more ammo!

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I agree with using the HR. Not only will it undoubtedly shoot but anyone looking over your rifle will be able to tell you are a man of discerning tastes! GI2

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
No question about it, use the H&R barrel. If it turns out to be a dog you can have it rebarrled latter. Odds are it will shoot just fine and you will have a correct rifle minus receiver.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
What would you do with the H&R if you didn't use it? You paid good money for it I assume so I say get your money out of it and use it.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I say use the HR barrel. You will have an all-USGI rifle, and you will likely not shoot that barrel out. Besides, you only live once!

I know this is a dangerous suggestion... I understand your fears about not being able to find a replacement USGI barrel down the road. You could track down a nice one now while they are still available and put it away for the day when your kids or grandkids finally need to replace it. The danger there of course is that the spare barrel will turn into another rifle, and then you will need two more spare barrels... and on and on. We kid about this a lot on the forum, but it's not a joke. It actually happens. GI7

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know this is a dangerous suggestion... You could track down a nice one now while they are still available and put it away for the day when your kids or grandkids finally need to replace it. The danger there of course is that the spare barrel will turn into another rifle, and then you will need two more spare barrels... and on and on. We kid about this a lot on the forum, but it's not a joke. It actually happens. GI7
Too Late My Spares all SA are already turning into that
What is amazing and Bewildering at the same time
Those "spare" parts somehow breed like rabbits in my safe. At the same time drain my bank account

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
HnR all the way for my vote.......and since you didnt mention if you had another HnR pristine parts kit......

Spare parts all seem to look like future rifles to me anyways.....lol

·
Registered
204 Posts
Your barrel problem

If you're just plinkin, it's a good time to try that barrel. Set up your targets and see what it'll do
Some day you may want to try shooting matches. If it shoots good with what you already have mounted, go ffor it. If not, that's the time to think about a new barrel. There are multiple barrel makers. I like Kreiger myself as I going for the Nationals. There's time so start at the bottom and work up.
Good Luck

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd say use the HR barrel. You'll get a lot of use out of it before you'll need to rebarrel. If you used a commercial barrel, that HR barrel will just be a paperweight that may never get used. Personally, I would be much happier with an all HR build than with an almost HR build and the separate HR part necessary to complete it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
No question, the H&R Barrel. Do you really think you will shoot out that barrel? Thats going to take ALOT of ammo,at current prices that will take about $13,000 worth of ammoGI8

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ive an all HR build on my LRB. Pulled and culled the parts out of a pile of real deal M14's my buddy was re-conditioning into M-25's for the kingdom of Jordan. I think it's cool and I had always heard that LRB's are milspec but patterened after HR's.

side question. what ever happened to Harrington and Richardson? Their Garands where hands down the nicest I thought of the Dozen m1's I've owned.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts