M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've owned a Remington 1100 Special Purpose for a LONG time. It has sported a 7-round mag extension tube and side-saddle carrier since within weeks of purchasing it brand new.

This is the model with a fully rifled barrel and rifle sights. It is the single most natural long gun I own when it comes to pointing. I can literally shoulder in with my eyes closed and the rifle sights will be dead-on in alignment when I open my eyes.

Well, I've been wanting to make this shotgun more utilitarian, so I just purchased a 22" vent-rib Rem-Choke barrel for it and mounted a fiber-optic in front of the bead. It's gonna be great!

So I go to install the new barrel tonight. When I take off my rifled barrel another part falls out! It looks as if this part has been broken for quite some time, and there are scratches on the bottom of the barrel and gouges in the receiver where this piece of spring steel has been shoved against things during who knows how many rounds since the barrel was last removed.

Interestingly, I had never tried shooting this gun with low-base shells before. As a rifled barrel, all it saw were slugs, of course. But I wanted to do some patterning with shot out of curiosity. It wouldn't cycle. I thought that was weird, but some research led me to believe that perhaps the slug barrels had smaller gas ports to better cycle with slugs, sacrificing reliability with low-base stuff. So, I didn't give it another thought.

Now, I'm wondering if this broken piece also had something to do with it.

Is this something I can do myself? I'm pretty savvy and love to learn how to gunsmith anything myself, even if I need an excuse to buy another specialty tool.

Numrich Arms lists this part as the "Forend Support" and sells it for $13, number 48 on the Remington 1100 schematic: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=11917

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Not an expert and it's been several years since I traded off my 1100, but try this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5XvGsBwYVc[/ame]

It will get you in the right area. Wish this had been available when I had mine.

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
That was an interesting psychedelic hammer that dude had. It looked like something I had in my tool box when I was about 4 years old LOL. I am convinced you can find anything on youtube. The otherday I found a video on attaching the kidney belt to my alice pack.
Good info!!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great video. Nice hammer. My pins were long ago replaced with through screws that hold on the shell carrier; so I've no excuse for a psychedelic hammer of my own, darn it.

Okay, I've got it apart, and by the time the part arrives, I'll probably need another video to remember how to put it back together! I'll keep you posted on whether or not it works better, too.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
YouseTube

Yeah, I get on YouTube for something and before long I'm off on something else completely. A big time hole if you let it get ahold of ya.....................not that spend too much time there. Ahem......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remington Expert

Weekdays from 8 am to 4 pm EST call 336 548-8700 to speak to Remington Experts at the Factory...

These guys do understand every problem.

And they are nice to deal with, unlike most factory support staff.

Dave

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
The ones with a steel receiver, older ones, will not cycle low brass. Mines from the 70's.

It will run anything except that low brass stuff.

Should have just bought an o ring. That's the only thing that wears out on em.

In case you haven't learned the hard way. There are plenty of sharp edges inside the receiver to slice your fingers on, be careful.

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
I should've realized it when I seen 82nd posting.
He was on here recently , he started the "Use the search function, I have too laugh" thread. It was nice too see him back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts