M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posted this before. If so, mods can take it down.
The conversation about obsolescence of the platform is pretty interesting.
I am working out with weights again, yeah getting older, but I like standing when I shoot, just sayin' 馃お

Registered
Modern rifles can do many things better than the M14, but the M14 is still a joy to shoot. Honestly, if I had to choose just one of my rifles to keep for the rest of my days, it's probably be an AR, but they still aren't as fun to shoot or look at. I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't care if it's obsolete, I like mine and I'm keeping them.

Registered
The video seems to be, shall we say, somewhat biased. If you need a suppressor, bipod, flashlight, and 30x scope on an M14, you also need them on an AR-10 (or AR-15). So the weight difference is really around .5 lb, not the 5-6 lbs between a bare ass AR-15 and a ridiculously loaded up M1A. You gotta compare apples to apples. Compare a like equipped AR-10 to the M14, and the difference becomes much smaller (negligible IMO). The real issue is - what cartridge do you need to get the job done? Are you shooting 120 lb people, 200 lb people, prairie dogs, antelope, bear, elk? It's why there's more than one type of hammer at any hardware store. Different tools for different jobs. BTW, I didn't meet many recruits who would want to shoot a 7.5 lb.308 (or 6.5) more than 5-10 times a day. If you're flinching every time it goes pop, how effective is the weapon?

Registered
Personally, I've never liked the 5.56 for much beyond shooting small critters. If I had to pick one gun forever, I think it would be a .308 . This is due to the fact that I can shoot just about anything in North America with it and get the job done. It's not TOO big for critter patrol, and not too small for bear (loaded heavy, in an emergency). Sure, there are better rounds for each job, but they can all be done effectively with a .308 (or 30-06). 308 fits any short action, uses space efficiently (in the mag or the backpack), and can be shot by anyone with a modicum of training. There are few other round that can claim all that, and they are usually based on, yes, the .308.

Registered
M1A SOCOM 16
I think I watched this on my own some time earlier and not as a result of any posts on this forum鈥

having said that, this guy carries a huge bias for the rifle into this review. I don鈥檛 really care for his reviews too much, although I鈥檓 willing to hear him out when it鈥檚 a system I鈥檓 using or interested in, simply to hear him as a 鈥渄evil鈥檚 advocate.鈥

1 - 8 of 8 Posts