M14 Forum banner

I may be crazy, but what if.....

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  m14dan 
#1 ·
Went to see The Alamo tonight; and being from the Greatest State in the Union, I thought it was a kick-a** flick. Made me wonder though: What if 180 men had to fight 6,000 plus, but the 180 were armed with M-14's? Would it make enough difference to change the outcome? Hey, soulnds like a good poll question, if I can figger out how. Several years ago, when I bought my AR, one of the first thoughts was "Wonder what would have happened if Custer's guys would have had these?". As you can tell, I am a big American West / history fan, if not somewhat deranged. Well, forget the poll, don't know how, just let me know what you think. taz

#3 ·
we'd probably be able to do a lot more damage, assuming we have a good amount of ammo (at least...6 crates of Port.. :lol: )

But I don't think we'll be able to win the battle even then. if there are 6000 men all charging at once towards 180 men, eventually we'll still be overrun.

I think D-Day would be a good analogy. The Germans had MG42s (that's 1400rds per min), mortars, landmines, all ready and waiting. but we eventually kicked their asses.

#4 ·
Yea BUT!

Yea BUT, just think if they had only 1 NM among all the other 14s, all decked out with scope, bipod etc,etc! Now lets figure it out,how far off was the Mexican Army 500,600 yrds,1000,? Just think if ole Daniel Boone had that rifle and picked Santa Anna off his horse at 1000 rds,you think they mite think twice about getting any closer? Hey just a thought! :)
Have a good day,M1A_Scoutguy

#5 ·
Watch the movie Final countdown with Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen. A good watch. The Aircraft carrier Nimitz hit a weird storm that sends it back in time to Dec 6th. The day before the attack on Pearl. The Nimitz with all its modern planes and weapontry could have destroyed the Jap fleet and defeated the Japs all on it own :p

#6 ·
Steve k said:
Watch the movie Final countdown with Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen. A good watch. The Aircraft carrier Nimitz hit a weird storm that sends it back in time to Dec 6th. The day before the attack on Pearl. The Nimitz with all its modern planes and weapontry could have destroyed the Jap fleet and defeated the Japs all on it own :p
Cool movie - F14's splashing some Zero's and cracking the sound barrier... Yep, the Nimitz could have whiped the Japs and then waxed the Germans all by themselves. Come to think of it, just one mondern US carrier could do that today 8)

#7 ·
I think it would have been a hands down all out, send em home running with their tail between their legs defeat for the mexican army going up against M-14's. Especialy if they had selectors. There would have been some melted barrels for sure and heavy casualties!on our side but the volume of fire that many men could lay down and at the ranges they could do it at against unarmored targets would be completely overwhelming to any attacker of the day. Remember the mexican army and the texans were alll using front stuffers. Brown bess 75 cals, kentucky rifles, maybe a few home made squirrel guns and a few springfields , maybe. Max effective range for aimed fire is maybe 100 yards max. Maybe a little more. They could each possibly volley fire out to 5 times that and score good knockdown hits. I wouldn't want to get hit with a 75 cal slug. Who would. The 14 with a conservative max effective range of 600 yards and way pst 1000 for volleys would even keep artillary of the day out of range.
In my opinion San Antonio would be built on the burrial mound of dead mexican soldiers if the good guys were armed with 14's. :D
That movie with the Nimits was pretty cool wasn't it? I haven't seen it in quite a while. I served on the USS Midway for a few years and there is nothing in the world compared to the power of a modern carrier in our fleet. Even one as old as the Midway or the nimits. Midway was one tough old boat. Too bad about her decom, but at least it's a museum now in san Diego instead of being turned into chryslers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.