M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently reading a post here about putting a Garand but plate on the M1A stock. I had recently acquired a used M1A loaded model. So I pulled the stock but plate off. The piece that screwed to the stock was a cheap cast aluminum piece. So I said what the hell I pulled it off and cut it up. From that piece I formed an aluminum but spacer for the M1 grand but plate. It probably took me 45 minutes to an hour using a Dremel tool and a file to make the spacer. Again I'm going to have to stop reading this form it's getting too expensive and time-consuming..... Ha

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I know what you mean. I read that same thread and I now have plans to buy a rubber butt-pad just so I can cut it up to make a spacer. Thanks for the idea Bamban, but my wallet is not so grateful.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
That would look good, so would painting the spacer to match the buttplate. It looks goos like it is, but matching colors is always best looking to me.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I think it shortens the length of pull a bit, and also lightens the overall weight, plus it gets rid of a few parts. If you use the flap or like it, well, then this is not for you. It is also the configuration of the very early M14s that did not have a flapper, so it is closer to correct for a T44E4 clone or early M14 clone. The correct stocks for the early models is hard to find to say the least, and very expensive if you do, so many use the standard M14 stock and use a filler to emulate the early stock.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice fabbing for only an hours. You have mad skills with a dremel!

How do you like that sled?
I wish I had mad dremel skills, I was lucky the part I cut was so cheaply cast. Springfield or Boyd’s should be ashamed of it. I did notice when I was cleaning it after the trip to the range the production date in the stock was December 7 2010, I thought that was cool. I like the sled I use it of sighting in. I like to take as much of me out of it as possible. I have a .358 Norma mag that I shot off it along with a few slug guns.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Nice job. I think having them match would be nice but I always think matching and symmetrical!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts