M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I jumped on a criterion M1D barrel and hand guard set. New from criterion. My plan was to have it barreled and head spaced then build it into a NM M1D clone, bedded, beautiful figures stock, etc... My issue is receivers aren’t that available and real M1Ds have been selling relatively low... into the $2500-$3K range. I missed a very nice & well doc’d M1D on GB.

What do you suggest? Maintain my search for the receiver and parts? Or keep trying for a real deal M1D? I would like a very accurate clone but would also love to have an issued M1D.

Attachments

·
Forum Jester
6,920 Posts
just find a receiver in the range needed,buy it and build it. you can shoot it in the vintage sniper matches. [email protected](late tom byrne on cmp forum) can set you up with parts. just give him serial number of receiver. his son is handling it for now.

your in it cheap for now. enjoy it

·
Registered
24 Posts
i am in that same boat! i have the new m1d barrel and a handguard. i do have a receiver to build it on. my problem is it needs refinished and not sure which color park i want it done in. leaning to zinc

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
i am in that same boat! i have the new m1d barrel and a handguard. i do have a receiver to build it on. my problem is it needs refinished and not sure which color park i want it done in. leaning to zinc
Check out Tim Shufflin. He's in Michigan also. www.shuffsparkerizing.com . He also specializes in Garand tankers and Mini-G's. -Lloyd BEERCHUG1

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Documented M1Ds are collector's items and have been for a long time, and should be kept original to the extent possible re USGI parts. (One exception is re-parkerzing a USGI receiver and any parts that are 'Greek black', which was a really caustic bluing process - and not very USGI looking. Other than that, I think they should be kept original).

IMO, a modern Criterion barrel is best on a reproduction M1D - and not an original M1D - as it would kill the value of a documented M1D. (Note: All M1D barrels are SA and dated 1951-53, and any variance from that will seriously impact its value).

If you glass-bed the stock it is not likely eligible in the CMP vintage sniper rifle matches, which to my knowledge are supposed to be in more or less "as-issued" condition, so bedding might be a no-no (but then again, the only real inspection performed at the vintage sniper matches is a trigger pull safety test). A new Criterion barrel is fine though and if properly chambered should give very good accuracy and perhaps better than an original barrel from the early 1950s. If you don't care about competing with the rifle then a professionally bedded stock is nice.

Another option, especially if you have access to parkerzing capability, is to look for a rough/well-used 'rack grade' M1 with a worn barrel, beater stock, and worn finish, and convert it to a replica M1D. I would think you could find one for $700-800 or so, if you look hard or put a WTB on the CMP forum board. Some rack grades are okay, and some were rough, but since you have a new barrel and stock, that could be an option, assuming you could parkerize the parts so it looks presentable.

Since you asked, my advice is to put a WTB ad on the CMP forum and see what pops-up....I think you'd find what you need.

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oof, I agree. I wouldn’t touch the real M1D. I would just keep her original and shoot on occasion. I would only bed a replica. I think having an extra stock for the matches would be cool too. I just haven’t shot in the matches. Aren’t many near me right now. I’ll look into CMP forum now. I think you’re right, may be the best route for the replica.

Documented M1Ds are collector's items and have been for a long time, and should be kept original to the extent possible re USGI parts. (One exception is re-parkerzing a USGI receiver and any parts that are 'Greek black', which was a really caustic bluing process - and not very USGI looking. Other than that, I think they should be kept original).

IMO, a modern Criterion barrel is best on a reproduction M1D - and not an original M1D - as it would kill the value of a documented M1D. (Note: All M1D barrels are SA and dated 1951-53, and any variance from that will seriously impact its value).

If you glass-bed the stock it is not likely eligible in the CMP vintage sniper rifle matches, which to my knowledge are supposed to be in more or less"as-issued" condition, so bedding is a no-no. A new Criterion barrel is fine though and if properly chambered should give very good accuracy and perhaps better than an original barrel from the early 1950s. If you don't care about competing with the rifle then a professionally bedded stock is nice.

Another option, especially if you have access to parkerzing capability, is to look for a rough/well-used 'rack grade' M1 with a worn barrel, beater stock, and worn finish, and convert it to a replica M1D. I would think you could find one for $700-800 or so, if you look hard or put a WTB on the CMP forum board. Some rack grades are okay, and some were rough, but since you have a new barrel and stock, that could be an option, assuming you could parkerize the parts so it looks presentable.

Since you asked, my advice is to put a WTB ad on the CMP forum and see what pops-up....I think you'd find what you need.

·
Forum Jester
6,920 Posts
hey,my 65th coming up next month yanno,if ya can't make up your mind

Reactions: russmerle

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ll keep that in mind lol while I try to register with cmp lol “whats the first character in the following statement? “Garand”

Apparently it’s not a dad joke because I answered with “

hey,my 65th coming up next month yanno,if ya can't make up your mind

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
If you want a collector rifle that will increase in value get a DCM M1D, not one of the latest CMP M1D's
If you want something to shoot, build your own or buy a CMP M1D
Just remember a M1D is no more accurate than a standard garand, it just has glass

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thx Orlando, I don’t see many folks posting range reports with them. What is the expectation of a professionally bedded M1?

If you want a collector rifle that will increase in value get a DCM M1D, not one of the latest CMP M1D's
If you want something to shoot, build your own or buy a CMP M1D
Just remember a M1D is no more accurate than a standard garand, it just has glass

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Find a receiver and build your shooter, it will cost way less than the cost of a documented M1D, then save up your money and buy a nice original.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Find a receiver and build your shooter, it will cost way less than the cost of a documented M1D, then save up your money and buy a nice original.
Word. My dad decided after the kick and getting bit once- on his replaced shoulder- nuh, uh, not me babes.

He wanted one for display.

So Pappy had a barrel for one that the shoulder was not right on, and I don't think it could be corrected. He sold it to me for a displace.

I had an ARTEL that could no be repaired, was only 2.5x anyway, and a Garand stock, and a friend on here sold me two CAI(Enterprise) M1 Garand receivers.

I put it together and it came out nice. A wall hanger was as close as he wanted to get.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts