M14 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
I bought some ammo at a garage sale.
Previous owner had blown up his rifle.
I showed my kid sister how to use the hammer and we pulled every bullet.
(quality time with my sister).
I saved everything.
I have good parts to make good ammo.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a question, I reloaded some win 308 and realized they the c.o.l was at 2.520 when they were supposed to be 2.735. I used Accurate 2460 with a 150 grain bullet. Is this going to be a safety issue.
I establish bullet seating depth as the longest case base-to-bullet ogive distance that will allow the finished round to be stripped from the magazine and cycled through the action of my M1A. You need a bullet comparator and .30-cal. insert to measure the base-to-ogive dimension. You're measuring base-to-bullet meplat (tip) distance, which is less repeatable. I believe seating to magazine length is common among M14-type handloaders.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Hello,
Sure, I'll agree with you; on close to the same initial cost, there's not much difference.
But, when you reload for more than one caliber the cost in parts start to add up(plus, the shipping on the other needed collets). I use the Forster brand and reload for .224, 6mm, 7mm, .30cal, .357/38 and .45cal at the moment(avg. cost per each collet $15). Where the innertia hammer comes with all you'll need at one cost. Get my point?...
I own both type of pullers.

·
Registered
10,496 Posts
The OP hasn't posted anything since his original question and he hasn't posted anything that would actually help answer his question and yet there are 23 responses...🤣

I wonder how much space people will use up responding to an OP that isn't listening.

·
Registered
514 Posts
He hasn’t read an answer to his problem.
If I had made some seated too deep, I’d cut a piece of wood long enough to stop the bullet from actually separating from the brass. Pop it in my kinetic hammer and smack it a few times then reseat it to the desired depth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with all the others--pull them. It's a pain with an inertia puller, I also agree. But one time I had to pull a BUNCH of them using the cave man tool. It can be done. If you only have 100 or so to pull, just get it done.
Seating bullets that far off can lead to a compression of the powder, and off the charts pressures. Don't do that unless you don't care about living.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts