M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Embarrassed to ask, but not wanting to take apart another butt plate, does anyone know the size of the indent ball for the flapper? Yes, I let it fly and I can't find the damn thing. .22 BB a bit too small so i guess i'm off to my local bike shop. Thanks in advance. ICONREDFAC

·
Forum Jester
8,417 Posts
figure out what size hole it fit's in. gotta take better care of your balls

Reactions: boomerpusher

·
Registered
232 Posts
My problem happened when I was trying to yank my pin out of the butt flapper. Got it out but my one ball flew across the room. Luckily I found it. Next time, more lube.

Reactions: hytekrednek

·
Registered
320 Posts
First, it is NOT a "flapper"! IT IS CALLED THE "SHOULDER REST"! If you are going to play with these toys learn the proper names for things! You do this by getting and READING the manuals! Which by the way are readily available online. Remember Google is your friend! Second, why in blue blazes did you want to disassemble the butt plate assembly?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I thought that "flappy shoulderish thingy in the back of my rifle" came apart for cleaning! Seriously though, sometimes we all make mistakes "BEFORE" we read the manuals and learn the proper terminology. By the way , it's a Rifle, not a toy.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Oh man, talk about a DOH moment.

Did you hear the one about the guy who took the action out of his Remington 700 SPS Varmint rifle, had a senior moment, and dropped it on the work bench, thus snapping off the trigger flush with the action?

What the heck, I wanted a new Timney Trigger on that rifle anyways!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
First, it is NOT a "flapper"! IT IS CALLED THE "SHOULDER REST"! If you are going to play with these toys learn the proper names for things! You do this by getting and READING the manuals! Which by the way are readily available online. Remember Google is your friend! Second, why in blue blazes did you want to disassemble the butt plate assembly?
Considering I searched this sight and found more than one reference to the flapper by respected members such as Different & M1Army I don't see why you find this such a big deal. Seems there are a bunch of us "uninformed" owners here then.

While I'm not a neophyte in firearm maintenance, I did read the section on butt plate assembly in "The M14 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee before doing any work so I wasn't operating blindly. I'm more than aware of the material available on the web or in book form to keep myself informed. And for what it's worth, I was changing the flapper ("shoulder rest") because the base it was on was not as nice as another one i have. I did not have any issues installing it on the other base.

·
Registered
320 Posts
To quote Delvin Warren, "I said what I said, and I'll stand by it to the death.". No disrespect to Misters Different and M1Army but there is no excuse for not learning and using the proper terminology. I mean what would you think if you took your car to have it repaired and the technician told you he was going to have to replace the thingamabob, the doohickey, the widget and the whatchamacallit instead of saying the master cylinder, power steering pump, brake rotors and fly wheel.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hey Salt -

I just checked - in case you can't find any others, Numrich has flapper balls for $2.80. I don't have much in the way of flapper ball savvy so I don't know if that is a good deal or not.

How hard is it to get the flapper roll pin out? Would it be too much trouble to dissect your other flapper assembly in order to measure its flapper ball?

Also - is the flapper ball made of steel? If so, you might probably find a stainless substitute for your flapper ball - that would keep you from having to take your flapper apart in the future to replace a rusty flapper ball.

Always remember - NOBODY likes a floppy flapper.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Very true! No one likes a floppy flapper, but if your flapper remains unfloppy for more than four hours see your health care professional!

By the way,Google is not your friend!
You make a good point, sir. I hadn't even considered a fixed flapper. Flappers mustn't be floppy OR fixed....flapper function must be flexible, yet firm.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Just so ya'll know I'm not him, I'm wiz1997, please don't confuse us.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.