M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a question about it , first let me explain , ive been more an AK guy for most of my collecting life , i have had my M1a for better than 20 years , this is my first modern AR , ive had a couple SP-1 AR's back in the day and eventually traded them for ,you guessed it , AKs
my new Colt has a Bayo lug , as a AK guy they love to neuter these off every chance they get ,so when you find one in tact its a big plus
my question is ,that are they able to do this on my rifle because its a non import US made piece? or is it because of all the MilSpec parts they use on the Colts?

·
Super Moderator
11,085 Posts
i have a question about it , first let me explain , ive been more an AK guy for most of my collecting life , i have had my M1a for better than 20 years , this is my first modern AR , ive had a couple SP-1 AR's back in the day and eventually traded them for ,you guessed it , AKs
my new Colt has a Bayo lug , as a AK guy they love to neuter these off every chance they get ,so when you find one in tact its a big plus
my question is ,that are they able to do this on my rifle because its a non import US made piece? or is it because of all the MilSpec parts they use on the Colts?
Nope niether, its because no bayonet fits on the civie rifle the 16in barrel is too long from the front sight forward. Now if you had the 14.5in tube or if you had a mid-length gas system with a 16in barrel then you could slip on and use a bayonet.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,760 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I think the lug is there because that's how their sight bases are made. On the Colts without the lug (94 ban and on) the lugs are removed and that takes time and effort (i.e. costs more).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the lug is there because that's how their sight bases are made. On the Colts without the lug (94 ban and on) the lugs are removed and that takes time and effort (i.e. costs more).
that makes the most sense , like i said , on AKs they consider the lug an "evil feature" and look for every excuse to grind them off
then they impose a 10 or less restriction

1 - 12 of 12 Posts