M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AAGGHHHH!
My question is: Bad primers, or loose pocket?
2nd reloading of this brass, using some vintage Remington 9 1/2 primers. I want to know if I need to scrap the brass or the primers.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Holly cow!. Well it could be either one, the primers could be a bad batch or the brass primer pockets are to large. You may have to try different brass and primers.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Looks like a pretty hearty ejector mark there too. Might have just been a really hot load. Maybe some extra powder slipped in?

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
Just running my mouth a little but I would say either a piece of foreign material found it's way into your reloads or the primer was folded or cracked. How many did you shoot before this happened and how did you discover it?

-

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Loaded 50 rnds single stage press. 42 gr IMR 4895. Noticed it when cleaning the rifle. Did some head scratchin' and internet searching, and found TWO pieces of brass with the torch holes. The primers came from my dad's collection of stuff. About 1000 Rem 9 1/2 from no later than the late 70's.
I think I'll sh*tcan the primers and any brass I have shot more than once.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
From my experience...

Federal .308 Brass has weak primer pockets.

I usually only get one reload before the pockets get "on the large size"GITEN

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
I fire Federal Gold Medal Match ammo for a proof standard to check my rifle's ability to group and I never even bother to pickup the brass.

In my opinion FC brass is just about the worst stuff out there when you reload. Their brass is very soft and unreliable. For good brass that comes pretty cheap I buy 147gr FMJ Winchester White Box. The ammo doesn't shoot as tight a group but it works well enough and I can reload the heck out'a the brass.

·
Registered
359 Posts
federal brass affirmation

You can't give me Federal brass. I have found the primer pockets get loose after only one or two resizings. I resize it once and then either save it for scrap or leave it in the snow/tall grass. My rifles cost too much for me to run garbage through them. Just one man's opinion.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Looks like a pretty hearty ejector mark there too. Might have just been a really hot load. Maybe some extra powder slipped in?
Pictures can be deceiving, but I agree it looks like there is a strong ejector mark as well as you can see some of the extractor mark.
You do not state if you are using 168s, but I am assuming you are for a moment. A charge of 42 grns should have not been an overpressure load which would cause a leaked primer or any of the brass swipes on the case head. This also assumes it was truly 42 grns and not an accidental overcharge. That said, I would find fault with the brass being loose in the primer pocket.
In case you may be worried, that minor etching on the bolt face is similar to mine (previous owner) and I have no problems.

Best,

JW

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I loaded 150 gr Hornady SPBT over the 42 grains. Each charge was individually weighed, and according to my book that's the starting weight. I used a Lee Auto prime hand held priming tool and now as I think back, I did notice some primers were going in awfully easy (I loaded up mixed brass).
Primers have become easier to find lately, and I have plenty of other brands of brass. I'll just get rid of the Remingtons and the Fed cases. My rifle is worth more than 50 bucks!
Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
249 Posts
Try to find CCI 34 primers if you haven't bought any yet. They are supposedly harder, making them safer for rifles with floating firing pins (like the M14).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just for grins I decided to pop that primer out and take a closer look, and.....
View attachment 9059
Mystery solved, bad primers. I'm still dumping the brass, however.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts