M14 Forum banner

I fired my Garand for the first time today.......

2282 22
I could not get to my regular shooting site because of the spring mud, so I had to settle for a quick clip along side a back road - accuracy? I could not tell, but the mud plattered as it should. Everything fed as it should and that unique sound after the 8th round was great to hear....thanks for listening, I had to tell someone about it.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Garand!

I just did some surfing looking for a site with that unique sound - I am sure there is an eight year old kid that could make my computer give out that "clink-ping" sound.......it was like holding and shooting a piece of history, and then listening to it, too.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Re: garand sounds

Biathlon said:
Don't you guys wish these old rifles could talk? I could listen to their stories forever!
Typical surviving M1 Garand: "Well, I spent a lot of time in a rack. When I did get out & about it was usually a training hike out in the boonies where I got dropped & scuffed up alot. Every now & then I got taken to the range for training. I sure do hate those jointed cleaning rods. Um, that's about it."

There ya go.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Quag, you old kill-joy!
I'm thinking he was looking more for stories like: "There I was, clutched tightly in the hands of a burly, cigar chewing non-com in the city of Bastogne...", or: "....just then, I took aim at the fanatical enemy, partially hidden in a cave on a far away atoll..."

It WOULD be interesting to hear the stories if they could talk, or just be able to track how many miles they went before landing in our safes. Oh well, imagination is part of owning a small piece of history...

:lol:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome aboard!

Pondhill, welcome to the forum - and congratulations on your first Garand! The only problem I have had with mine it that I quickly run out of something to feed it! Again, welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay - there are a lot of good folks here.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I traced mine......

I traced mine back to the National Guard Armory at Kent State College - a bit of history there for sure. I wish I had an endless supply of '06 to feed it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.