M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I do not own any guns because of where I live. I have land in SE US so I'll be moving once my house is ready and my fav gun since I was about 10 has been the M14 and when I saw they make it but it is called the M1A, I fell in love. I wanted to buy a M1A Loaded but now I am hearing from people it is too long and I want a tactical but I REFUSE to buy a SOCOM (even though it is the only M1A with the picatinny rail attachments on the side and bottom which is what I want for my M1A for flashlight/laser and grip (flash is more important to me) I have been reading good things about Scout Squad for a while and was thinking about that because it is smaller than the Loaded. I had a few questions, is there a way I could call Springfield Armory and ask them to put a National Match barrel on the Scout Squad? Would they be able to add at the factory a side and bottom picatinny rail on a ScSq or would I need to buy a custom stock(or chassis idk what the difference is because some pics say stock and show the whole gun completely railed up)? Lastly what should would be the lightest custom stock that would not cover the irons but be able to mount attachments on side and bottom of the rifle. Thanks and any advice and the more help the better. Thank you if you took the time to read and reply馃槉

Registered
Do any local gun shops have them? I would handle the loaded, scout, socom, etc yourself before relying on what other people鈥檚 qualified or unqualified opinions are on length, quality, etc. Especially if this is the first gun and you will need to discover what feels more natural for you.

You can get match quality medium barrels at different lengths, but Springfield wouldn鈥檛 offer or install them. Fulton Armory I believes sells some options.

RE a light stock that allows side and bottom rails, I believe the delta 14 will be the lightest.

good luck! The m1a is a great rifle.
Air gun Wood Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

Registered
Your description of the rifle you want does not require a "match" grade barrel but rather a rifle that would serve in close quarter battle so to speak. Some would argue that a rifle with standard barrel will not deliver 1moa accuracy at 100yds. and the standard barrel would struggle to maintain say 2+ moa at 100yds. OK, that is not a deal breaker for the rifle you describe is not intended to shoot X's at a target but serve as a "self protection device" and even if it only delivers 3moa accuracy that is quite acceptable for your application. ( I would mention that it is important that you use high quality ammunition in any application for it you feed it sub standard ammo the performance will be sub standard or perhaps not even function as it must do, just a suggestion.) The add on items you mention add weight to the rifle and it is on the heavy side to begin with and those extra pounds takes its toll on you over time. Upon purchasing the rife would suggest you practice with it as it comes and become very familiar with it and the issue sights, put a few hundred rounds through it and then you can add other items as you see fit. Best of luck to you.

Registered
Good luck on fleeing California and acquiring your first M14 type. A few thoughts to help you on your way.
1. The M14 is not what I would recommend for a first gun or a first shooting experience. If you have not shot before, do yourself a favor and get a .22 that is California legal and get some experience with it. The M14 requires good fundamentals and it challenges experienced shooters who have them. I am not trying to dissuade you from getting your dream rifle, just suggesting that you should lay some groundwork so that you have a better experience with it.
2. You don't need a national match grade barrel for a tactical rifle. Don't get sucked into the cult of pinpoint accuracy for fighting rifles. Combat utility and sub MOA accuracy are usually at odds with each other. Make your rifle what you want it to be, just don't go in believing that extreme accuracy is necessary for a tactical rifle.
3. You probably want an aftermarket stock for your application. In general terms, a stock is drop-in, meaning you field strip the rifle, drop the new stock on, and reassemble. A chassis mounts to the rifle with more contact points than the original design for the rifle and stock. A chassis will usually provide better accuracy if you tune the mounting points correctly, but it makes taking the rifle apart and cleaning more complicated. A chassis will generally weigh more as well.
4. Don't buy a "railed up" rifle. The M14 is a heavy platform. Rails are also heavy. You are better off with a stock where you can add small sections of rail where you need them. Quad rails like on the original SOCOM made the gun front heavy (bad for handling) and added at least an extra pound. Also, Picatinny Rails are called "cheese graters" for a reason: they mess up your hands. Anthonypd's first two pictures are good examples of how to do rails right, though I wouldn't put the railed handguard on unless you put something on it.

Registered
Ditto to most things said above, especially starting your marksmanship training with a .22.
There are so many options now for the M14, it would be best to handle as many variations as you can to truly experience what you think you may want.
Then you can shop.
Most standard rifles I've built over the decades shoot better (more accurate) than the owner.

Registered
Welcome from the Gunshine Sonshine state of Florida.

In my humble, but correct :giggle: opinion, the NATO/308 round in combo with M14/M1A-types are generally slower rate of fire, barrier defeating rounds, for distance shooting and/or getting a vehicle stopped or busting thru concrete block, light brush, etc from distance (one shot kills). The 5.56/223 in combo with the M16/M4/AR-15 is the more agile fast fire, man stopper, CQB platform for closer actions while still being good to several hundred yards out. A stray 308 in home defense will carry thru several more walls than 5.56/223 and could result in law suits or manslaughter charges from hitting one's neighbors or family members.

If you are new to long guns, many (and me) would suggest a Project Appleseed shoot: https://appleseedinfo.org/
You'll learn how to shoot distance (2 weeks worth of Army class in 2 days). You'll need a 22LR semi-auto rifle, several mags & about 500 rounds. You could sell the 22LR rifle later if money is a concern (think of it as renting a gun). If you already know your way to a 3" group at 100-yards then the Project Appleseed is a great refresher.

M14/M1A is an awesome piece of kit but nothing is a "Does All Well Gun".

Registered
Welcome from the Gunshine Sonshine state of Florida.

In my humble, but correct :giggle: opinion, the NATO/308 round in combo with M14/M1A-types are generally slower rate of fire, barrier defeating rounds, for distance shooting and/or getting a vehicle stopped or busting thru concrete block, light brush, etc from distance (one shot kills). The 5.56/223 in combo with the M16/M4/AR-15 is the more agile fast fire, man stopper, CQB platform for closer actions while still being good to several hundred yards out. A stray 308 in home defense will carry thru several more walls than 5.56/223 and could result in law suits or manslaughter charges from hitting one's neighbors or family members.

If you are new to long guns, many (and me) would suggest a Project Appleseed shoot: https://appleseedinfo.org/
You'll learn how to shoot distance (2 weeks worth of Army class in 2 days). You'll need a 22LR semi-auto rifle, several mags & about 500 rounds. You could sell the 22LR rifle later if money is a concern (think of it as renting a gun). If you already know your way to a 3" group at 100-yards then the Project Appleseed is a great refresher.

M14/M1A is an awesome piece of kit but nothing is a "Does All Well Gun".
Frankly, I do not think any rifle makes sense for home defense, unless you are planning on shooting at people from your window at a distance. Or, you if you have no regard for your hearing, those in adjacent rooms, and your neighbors.

Registered
Have you ever fired a rifle? Do you have the ability to clean and care for a M14 style weapon? If not, you might be better served starting with a simpler platform.
To be fair, the m14/m1a is much easier to maintain than an AR-15, and many people jump into gun ownership with AR platforms. I know that I did, and had fun watching youtube videos and disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling.

That being said, I am a firm believer now that if one wants a first gun they should get either a .22 to get used to rifle shooting, or a 12 gauge because of its versatility (defense, hunting, building up basic gun knowledge, etc).

Registered
Shooting a rifle, shotgun, or most handguns in a closed room or car and your ears will ring for weeks and maybe forever. 65% hearing lose in right ear from shooting OUTSIDE without hearing protection for years and both ears ring all the time. We didn't realize the damage we were doing back then. Today, I use both ear plugs and muffs. If you get a 22lr to start with, a really wise move, still get hearing protection so you are used to the feel. With the 22, you can practice trigger control, breathing, and learn positions without fighting recoil and noise levels (.308 is MUCH louder than .22 and a Scout with muzzle brake is really loud). Also, get peep sights on your 22(probably have to have them added) so you are used to the military sight system. $.02

Registered
Seeing how you don't own any guns I would recommend your first gun be a 9mm handgun I think everyone who takes self defense seriously should at least own a practical handgun followed by a good ar-15. Ammo to feed those two platforms is the most affordable and the recoil is soft enough to practice with and become proficient with. Most people can shoot an AR-15 all day without developing a flinch. I love my m14's but they are much more punishing on my shoulder especially when shooting from a bench and my shoulder gets pretty tore up. I'm not saying you shouldn't get one but for a first gun I wouldn't recommend it especially if it wipes out your gun budget to the point where you can't buy a handgun or other more practical guns and the ammo to practice with them for a long time.

Registered
What are the real odds you will ever be CQB situation? High? buy an AR. On the other hand, most shooters eventually gravitate toward accurate shooting at distances. Thats where the full length rifles shine and it never gets boring. Too heavy? pull-ups are your friend.

Registered
By the time you put all the rails, lasers and junk on the front end, the weapon will weigh 16 lbs., and so front heavy you will not be able to hold it up. Like others have said, do yourself a favor and get a .22 rifle, then really learn to shoot!!! Only then will you really know what you want and can do, vs. fantasy!!! -Lloyd 馃嵒

Reactions: DetroitMan

Registered
To be fair, the m14/m1a is much easier to maintain than an AR-15, and many people jump into gun ownership with AR platforms.
Ok, I鈥檒l bite on this one.

How can you possibly claim the M14 is easier to maintain than an AR?

The M14 isn鈥檛 difficult to maintain but you could never say it鈥檚 easier than an AR. Heck, you don鈥檛 need to do anything to an AR other than shove some oil in it once in a while.
That strikes me as a ridiculous claim and I don鈥檛 even like the AR.

Just writing down the maintenance on the m14 is more work than you would ever do actually on an AR.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts