M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have $700 burning a hole in my pocket but I can't decide what to buy. I would like to stay in 308, 45 or 22--then there is not an additional cost of reloading equip. Just looking for Ideas.

·
Registered
319 Posts
A Magpul edition Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22. Make sure it has the threaded barrel, opens up possibilities in the future. Three extra mags. And a Primary Arms red dot sight.

It is the most fun rifle I have ever owned.

But you probably have one already.

Thank you,
Mr.Smith

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Tactical 870 8 shot with Vang comp, Surefire, and Mesa Tactical accessories?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
How 'bout a (or another) 1911. I just picked this one up from a fellow forum member.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
How about a Fal G1 kit. Belgian made for the German army. Complete except for the upper receiver, with 2 stocks.

$575.00..shipped & insured

It'll look something like the complete rifle if you distress the upper to match the kit.

BADD..ASSS.. Battle Rifle..BEERCHUG1

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Some great suggestions. Sure is fun trying to spend someone else's money.

Reactions: MtTom

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about a Fal G1 kit. Belgian made for the German army. Complete except for the upper receiver, with 2 stocks.

$575.00..shipped & insured

It'll look something like the complete rifle if you distress the upper to match the kit.

BADD..ASSS.. Battle Rifle..BEERCHUG1
308? and how much for the reciever, and are they easy to find, and so far this is the most intriguing. My next 1911 will cost more than 700--just got a SAI loaded and like it a lot so I can only go up from there

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Yes it is a .308 / 7.62. A new receiver will run about $350-$500 depending on the maker. So that's a little more then your budget allows for.

If you have never owned a FAL, I would recommend first find one to shoot. And not just a couple of rounds either. A few mags and some rapid fire mag dumps. Get it hot and smoking. The most important thing you want from a MBR is not MOA accuracy, but reliability. The if you like, you buy a rifle already assembled, [unless you or someone you really trust know how to put it together. After you have done one they are really very simple.] The market is soft right now on complete rifles, and kits are actually selling for more. I have seen complete rifles sell for $800-$900.

Check Gunbroker and the falfiles. I personally wouldn't buy a new DSA, even though they do warranty their product. Look for a surplus one that been assembled by either one of a few competent FAL smiths, or a competent individual that's done a few.

My name is Speerchucker,[even though I love my M1a's] and I'm a" FALcoholic " BGRIN1

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the FAL intrigues you, you could find a Century L1A1 sporter with an Inch (UK or Commonwealth) kit built on an Imbel or Argentine receiver. Unless someone already put the proper furniture on, they come with the ugly butthole thumbstock. They function well in spite of their looks, and you get to shoot it while hunting down the few parts it takes to restore it to its proper glory. It's how I got into the FAL world affordably, and it gives the fun of tinkering with the instant gratification of being a good shooter right away - a good mix of kit and complete rifle. They should run $500-$700 on Gunbroker (some are listed for more, but don't pay that much). Just make sure you get one on an Imbel or Argentien receiver. Century's in-house and contract US receiver builds aren't reputed to be trustworthy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.