M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha,

All of my main reloading is done on a Dillon 650 with case feeder. I have it setup for .243, .308 and .30-06, with no need to change the shell plate. The Dillon 650 is fast, sturdy and reliable. Big Blue!

I see lots of new products coming out nowadays... What do you reload on?

For .308 and .30-06, I normally use military brass, CCI mil spec primers and IMR 4895 or 4064. I would really like to see what kind of recipes we all like the best! Of course, all loads discussed are for discussion only and experimentation is at the risk of the reloader. I try to be VERY careful in reloading and definitely do not take this lightly... it is very dangerous (or, could be...). But at least, there is a place for us to yak about it now... Very Cool, Hawk! :lol:

Hope to hear from others...

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker (hey, with Chuck for a name and being nicknamed Rock Ape back in Nam, it was an obvious purchase) I only load .45s, and I barely have time to keep up with that.

I just mention it because I want to reinforce what Tom said about reloading being very dangerous.

I've reloaded 10s of thousands of rounds. I once put a double load of powder in a cartridge. :oops: I got some minor injuries and the gun had to be sent back to the manufacturers for repair. The worst part was that when I turned around, my face was a bloody mess (God bless safety glasses), but it looked worse that what it really was - - -head wounds will bleed like a stuck pig. One of the other shooters, a rather large (over weight) man, SPRINTED for the 1st aid kit in his car. When he got back, I really thought he was going to keel over with a heart attack. I jumped up and made him sit down and take it easy. In hind sight, I guess it might have looked kind of comical. He looked like he was ready to collapse and was trying to take care of me, and I was dripping blood all over the place and trying to make him sit down and relax. In the end we were both okay. But that one little mistake in reloading could have had more serious results.

So please be careful when you reload. Know what you are doing, fully concentrate on the task at hand and allow no distractions (i.e., radio, TV, family).

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Chuck, that is a great post, we should start another thread on Have you bled due to your reloads?

I have also! I double charged (when using a Lee 1000) a .45 round (IPSC Major Power Factor) many years ago but didn't know it until about a year or two ago when I pulled my old IPSC ammo out to go shoot. I was doing excellent and the groups were super tight, then, Ka Blam!!!! It sounded like a .44 Magnum going off! But I didn't move from my modified Weaver stance (probably due to shock). The RO just so happened to be standing behind me watching me shoot, and he saw the whole thing! The blast blew my grips apart, and blew my magazine with three more rounds all over the place! And the recoil blew my mind! Without moving, I turned, looked at the RO and said, what the hell just happened? And he calmly said it sounded like a double charge, when he reached to take my firearm to inspect it, the fragments of on side of the grip just fell into my hand. The RO said that I was luck to be using USGI plastic grips or the wood would have splintered and really screwed me up. Amazingly, there was very little blood, no major cuts or gouges and NO missing parts!!! All of the guys around me (old timers, that I used to shoot with) were really kind to search for my mag floor plate, springs, etc. Well, I got the spring back at least and I still have it as a souvenir of this day that could have ended tragically! Taught me a lesson that mistake happen so you always have to be extrememly careful, and check, and then check again. Especially with a progressive.

I had another experience many years ago with a sensitive primer igniting an enitre primer tray of primers... but that should be for another story!

Oh, by the way, I use steel reinforced grips now to be extra safe...

Aloha!

Tom O.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've been lucky so far to have no kabooms, but I've also pulled apart a lot of my reloads because I caught a mistake.
When in doubt, rip it out

·
Registered
327 Posts
I also use the Dillon 650, however, I use it to size and trim, Set and crimp. I don't use the powder drop, I use a pact disp and scale, a little slower but, I feel better about it. For the M-1 carbine and 9mm I use a Lyman turret head (six die setup) and for 45's it's the RCBS Rock Chucker. What can I say.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I say, dig old boy,
Are you aware that your .308/30-06 shell plate is also good for.45 ACP?
I used to use a square deal B for 40 & 45
Ten I went to RL 550 and then I got the same setup as DigHawaii
I haven't done a lot or .308 reloading lately, due to the cheap surplus thats out there.
Dillon is simply the best progressive made

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also use the Dillion 650 with the powder check system, however I still check approx every fifth round on a scale. The 650 seems to throw a fairly consistent charge but want to be sure anyways. Any perceived problem and I stop and check and either tear down or demil any questionable rounds. Have not had any problems as of yet (knock, knock) I load for most common rifle and pistol calibers and have been doing so for twenty years, the last eight on the Dillion. For quality/quantity its hard to beat a Dillion.

·
Banned
611 Posts
I use a rock chucker that I have had around 15 years or so now for all my rifle and I got a piggyback 2 for 45 acp and 44. I had an accident about 10 years ago with the piggy back trying to reload while I was too distracted. I missed a powder charge in a 45. Thank god it was the last one in the mag. It was pretty loud but it smokestacked and I just for the heck of it looked down the bore and there was a bullet stuck there. I got lucky though and no harm was done to me or the gun. After that I moved everything into it's own room where I could reload in peace without worry of distractions. No more accidents since.
My favorite load for the m-14 is 42 grains of IMR 4895 in a LC-91 case with a win LR primer and a 168 barnes x bullet. It will seriously group inside one hole at 100 yards. So far for my M-1 ( I just got this one and haven't had one in a long time) it is doing real well with 46 grains of 4895 and a sierra 150 spbt. I have only tried it out to 50 yards so far but it was a promising 1/2 inch group with sights. I did cheat with my bull bag prone on the ground.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aloha BigChoad,

Yep, I know the 650 can handle the .45's but I decided to use a Dillon SDB for the .45's exclusively. The quality of ammo that I get out of the SDB is excellent and has a shorter throw on the RAM handle.

More than anything else, I just wanted to keep the pistol (cause I only shoot and reload for the .45 now) and the rifle stuff separate.

The tapered crimp is perfect and all of the rounds that come out of the SDB are excellent, if I do my job!

But thanks for heads up... I try to frequent the Dillon site as much as possible to see if anything new comes up!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dig and Chuck,
My mistake wasn't painful like yours it was actually kind of funny. I don't know how, but I left the powder out of a 20ga. shotgun shell. While I was quail hunting, the dawg (I'm from the south) pointed, I walked past, the covey flushed, I shot, heard a pop and watched the shot and wad slowly fly about 30 yards. It reminded me of the old bazooka where you could watch the round flying toward the target.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts