M14 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seven years ago I started a "test" on the effects of climate, average humidity, and various storage conditions on Powder and Primers. It was prompted by one of the many discussions I had at the time with Chris Hodgdon, and last week I finalized my results. All under a controlled conditions.

I will say this, if you are storing your primers anywhere other than inside your home you will see a degradation over time.

If you aren't storing your powder somewhere in a climate controlled environment, again, you will see problems over time.

Getting into the "Meat and Potatoes" of the study I will say that out of every single sleeve of primers, 1 stored in the open in my garage, 1 in an outside metal shop, and 1 in an insulated and enclosed tool shed, I encountered several different issues out of these sleeves. They were all from various lots of CCI and Winchester.

The most troubling problem I encountered was from a CCI primer that I loaded into a 45/70 case and charged it with 40 gr. of IMR 3031. Upon firing this cartridge I heard a "snap" and "fizzle". I automatically assumed a misfire, but was greeted with powder spilling into my rifle, a majority of the powder being unfired and recovered, and a 300 gr. Sierra HP bullet "squibbed" 6 inches past the throat of my rifle! After disassembling the rifle on a white cloth in my home I found that the weak primer had only ignited 6 gr. of powder!

Powder, is the same way. I DID NOT use the pound of Accurate No.5 that I had stored in a plastic "ammo can" inside my garage. Mainly due to the pungent smell. I sent it to Western powders to have it analyzed under a control, and am awaiting the results.

Long story short, if you aren't storing your primers and powder inside your home, or in your climate controlled garage in a sealed container, you WILL see a degradation over time.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,026 Posts
As a kinda newbie/definitely rookie handloader, thanks for posting this up, I never saw any good reason to store powder/primers out in the garage where it gets up to 95 degrees in the summer and below freezing in the winter, but this helps confirm that. Up on a high shelf in a bedroom closet is a good place to me.
m14brian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts