M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my rifle to sight it in the other day, and decided I didn't like flexible the forend was. It is a Mauser MkX with a Butler Creek stock on it. Accurate enough, since it is bedded, but the forend flexed too much.
So, having a Maple stock laying around begging for attention, I got to work. So far, it only has two coats of TruOil. After deer season, I will spray on a 3rd coat, and then a coat or two of Polyurethane to protect it.

Before

After

·
Registered
469 Posts
That looks nice. Love the contrasting wood on the fore end and grip cap.

I've got my old 700 BDL in a Bell and Carlson right now and the fore grip does flex. I'd like to take the old walnut stock and remove the black plastic fore end and grip cap and replace them with a contrasting wood. Maybe Black Walnut.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Very nice! Those are great actions, I really like them on hunting rigs. That's a dang sexy stock.

What caliber is yours?

I just picked up a custom rifle built on the same Interarms Mark X action, chambered in .338-06 Ackley Improved.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have a parker hale, it used to be an 1100, the only thing that still is, is the action. A few years back I had a new barrel, longer bolt handle, and fiberglass stock on it. It in 280 ackley improved, it nips on the heals of the 7mm rem mag. Very nice job on tha stock on your mark x, what caliber?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Mine is a 30-06. My son has a Parker Hale/Santa Barbara based rifle, made by Firearms Company of England also in 30-06. It is also in a Butler Creek stock. I started to switch stocks on it, just on GPs since I have another stock needing attention. But, it is noticably heavier. I weighed the Maple stock and the 2nd stock, very, very dark English walnut, and the English walnut stock is over a pound heaver than the Maple stock. I decided I didn't need the extra weight on his 30-06.
I think I screwed up when I did the final sanding on the stock. I use a sheet of 1000 grit paper, and I think the sanding grit came off an embedded in the wood. The stock has a visibly greyer cast to it than it did yesterday morning. So, I may have to strip the stock and take off just a bit of wood to get rid of the top layer.USN4 Oh well, no ammo yet to shoot, so I should be okay. So, here it is after the refinish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts