M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that you should only disassemble the rifle about once a year or every 500 rounds. But for the past 12 years, I've had the habit of disassembling any gun I shoot after every trip to the range which is about once per week. Now I have a Loaded M1A which is not glass-bedded. So it won't do any harm if I strip it down once a week, correct?

Anyone here ocd about disassembling and cleaning their M1A's often? How has it affected your rifle?

Many Thanks,

JHN

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
I disassemble and clean my weapons after every range trip as well. Since you rifle isn't bedded, I don't see the harm.

Reactions: JHN

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Generally, non bedded rifles won't be harmed by once a week disassembly. However, the rifle will need one to five rounds before it will 'settle down' each time. This is why OTC starts with offhand, and why Marines never do more than run a patch through the bore the night before qualification. I would suggest that upon reassembly, you leave the trigger group 'unlocked', and only 'lock' it just before firing. This will reduce wear on the locking parts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Generally, non bedded rifles won't be harmed by once a week disassembly. However, the rifle will need one to five rounds before it will 'settle down' each time. This is why OTC starts with offhand, and why Marines never do more than run a patch through the bore the night before qualification. I would suggest that upon reassembly, you leave the trigger group 'unlocked', and only 'lock' it just before firing. This will reduce wear on the locking parts.
I have heard of leaving the trigger gaurd unlocked to minimize the stress on the stock. I dont know that it mattered but I did that on the last one I owned

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I think that whatever practice has produced good shooting results w/o damage to the rifle for you is what you should follow.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
The answer both with my weapons & the military's, they get cleaned & a light coat of oil after each range trip. This included everything from a 5.56 rifles to 105mm tank barrels.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Some of My Rifles do,Some do not, And by inspecting any of my Weapons a person would be hard pressed to tell they are used at all

·
Registered
544 Posts
I disassembly and clean and lube every gun after shooting it. This way there all ready for the next trip to the range at anytime. Bill

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
No need to over-clean your weapons. A lot of the older military guys will say this b/c they used corrosive ammo or were taught from older sergeants that used corrosive ammo. My granddad was like this (27 yr US Army CSM; WWII veteran) and used to say...you need to clean that rifle everyday for 3 days after firing. No I don't grandad...we have non-corrosive ammo now. There is no need to strip clean your rifle after shooting 100 rounds. Just clean the barrel, bolt face, and piston if it's an M-14.

Most of these rifles we enjoy shoot better after fouling shots anyway. I do clean the barrel though after each trip. I use oil on it as well if it will be stored long-term (Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-30). I strip them down totally once a year or so. If it's bedded I strip it down every 5 years or never. I can tip out the piston on my SM and NM rifles.

Depends on your amount of firing as well. I shoot slow and try to knock the X out of the target with every shot. Not very successfully, but I try. I can't afford to shoot 1ks of rounds out of my M1As, M1s, 03/03a3s, and M1 Carbines. I shoot the snot out of my Enfields though as I bought a boatload of .303 British when the getting was good. They aren't worth much, but I enjoy shooting them.

Reactions: bailey and JHN

·
Banned
351 Posts
I know that you should only disassemble the rifle about once a year or every 500 rounds. But for the past 12 years, I've had the habit of disassembling any gun I shoot after every trip to the range which is about once per week. Now I have a Loaded M1A which is not glass-bedded. So it won't do any harm if I strip it down once a week, correct?

Anyone here ocd about disassembling and cleaning their M1A's often? How has it affected your rifle?

Many Thanks,

JHN
I clean them after every shooting session in detail. Bolt strip, and gas system included. I think that it's a good practice to do so.

It enables you to inspect each part and the receiver, to identify any anomalies or abnormal wear patterns that may be developing.

In doing that, you know that each time it's needed, it will not fail you.

As already said, if your rifles are bedded, breaking them down repeatedly may have an adverse effect on your minute of angle.

All mine are in USGI fiberglass stocks and I consider them battle rifles first, and minute of angle rifles second. I don't worry about shooting the wings off of flies at 100 meters.

That's because, all of mine will shoot inside of 2 or 3 inches, everytime and, that's good enough for me.

·
Administrator
17,468 Posts
Research, still the only game in town......

It's been working for me for years now davecampperry.DI5

·
Registered
526 Posts
No need to over-clean your weapons. A lot of the older military guys will say this b/c they used corrosive ammo or were taught from older sergeants that used corrosive ammo. My granddad was like this (27 yr US Army CSM; WWII veteran) and used to say...you need to clean that rifle everyday for 3 days after firing. No I don't grandad...we have non-corrosive ammo now. There is no need to strip clean your rifle after shooting 100 rounds. Just clean the barrel, bolt face, and piston if it's an M-14.

Most of these rifles we enjoy shoot better after fouling shots anyway. I do clean the barrel though after each trip. I use oil on it as well if it will be stored long-term (Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-30). I strip them down totally once a year or so. If it's bedded I strip it down every 5 years or never. I can tip out the piston on my SM and NM rifles.

Depends on your amount of firing as well. I shoot slow and try to knock the X out of the target with every shot. Not very successfully, but I try. I can't afford to shoot 1ks of rounds out of my M1As, M1s, 03/03a3s, and M1 Carbines. I shoot the snot out of my Enfields though as I bought a boatload of .303 British when the getting was good. They aren't worth much, but I enjoy shooting them.
We do still teach the clean for 3 days following firing, but that is not because of corrosive ammunition (altho it may have it's roots in that). We teach it so troops will get the residual CLP along with the carbon it's worked on over night out. It's amazing how you can clean a weapon, and over night the CLP has worked on the carbon in the pores of the metal to the point that it's "dirty" again.

My personal guns normally get cleaned every trip, or worst case every two trips to the range. But, do what ya'll want with your weapons. Whatever helps you sleep at night is what you should do...

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
All great answers, a few extra points. If your stock is wood (sorry didnt read entire post) than after a while constant complete disasembly can loosen the fit. The M14s gas piston keeps 99.9% of the carbon and such out of the chamber so you do not to clean as detailed as the AR family due to their gas system. A good cleaning of the bore can suffice, but more isnt a bad thing.

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
I don't believe that there is such a thing as an over-cleaned weapon, but then again I don't think that it is necessarily to do a complete cleaning every time you shoot, but I do believe that it is a must to remove the carbon residue every time you shoot.

I usually just run a bore snake through the bore at the range after firing. Then within the next few days I clean the rifle. If I plan on shooting in the few days then I will clean the bore moderately well, I don't make it perfect. I don't break the rifle down either but I do remove the gas piston and clean the carbon off of it and make sure that the gas cylinder is clean and dry. If I plan on not shooting for a few weeks then I do a complete cleaning and that includes taking the entire rifle apart. This is one reason why I don't have bedded stocks, they are great for accuracy but I take my rifles apart often enough that I would mess up a nice bedding job pretty quickly.

The fact is that at some point you need to clean the rifle thoroughly and especially the bore. It's one of those things that either you do a little work each time you shoot or put it off and do a lot of work later. If you choose to never clean the rifle thoroughly then eventually the performance will suffer and you may have damage caused by corrosion or excessive wear.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
I'm probably half retarded cause I field strip mine after any rounds fired.
So I'm glad there is at least two of us!!

Reactions: javajoy

·
Registered
570 Posts
I also use the three day rule; Clean the barrel with bore cleaner,
run a wet patch and let it sit for up to three days.
Then I clean the barrel again, and get the residue gunk
out after three days...

I also run a wet patch with bore cleaner(Hoppe's most times) before
storage. I'll run a light coat of oil over the gun as well.

I've been doing this for nearly 50 years and I've never had a gun/barrel
rust.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I also use the three day rule; Clean the barrel with bore cleaner,
run a wet patch and let it sit for up to three days.
Then I clean the barrel again, and get the residue gunk
out after three days...

I also run a wet patch with bore cleaner(Hoppe's most times) before
storage. I'll run a light coat of oil over the gun as well.

I've been doing this for nearly 50 years and I've never had a gun/barrel
rust.
Thats perfect for a M14!!! And how any barrel should be treated.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have had my M1A since Aug 07' and have stripped it down after every range trip including the gas system and recently been taking the the bolt and trigger group (latter part just to familiarize me with the parts) down. I have not seen anything bad come from this other than time spent doing it so this past time after getting my rifle back from SAI for a bolt replacement (long story don't ask) I completely detail stripped and lubed the rifle and after each trip to the range I plan on leaving it in the stock and only clean what is recommended for a field clean and see how she performs, I have been told plenty that scrubbing and washing after each trip is unnecessary other than barrel and bolt face.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Question.....

I'm just thinking about the positioning of the gas port, on the bottom of the rifle bore, 6'o'clock position: If you are just cleaning the bore without necessarily taking the rifle completely down, would it make good sense to first invert the rifle when soaking that bore with, say, Sweet's 7.62, Hoppe's No. 9 or any other cleaner solvent? To prevent the solvent from running down into the gas port you understand....

Just curious.....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
My bedded match rifles get the bore, bolt face, chamber, flash hider and gas cylinder/plug cleaned after each firing session. Also remove the old grease and apply a new coat too. I only remove the barreled receiver from the bedding once a year after the match season is over.

For rifles without bedding, I cleen as above and strip them once a month depending on how many rounds fired.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts