M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, I used to own an M1 Garand, and had to sell it some years ago to help get me out from under some debt incurred during my divorce from my first wife. I am currently in the market for another, HOWEVER, I spoted a nice 1903A3 still in cosmoline locally that looks to be in pretty good shape. Should I go the CMP route and wait on their M1 lottery or just go buy the Springer? I am kinda leaning towards the bolt gun because I do have the M1s perfected offspring that I am already set up for reloading wise. Both are awesome in their own ways.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If a Garand is what you want don't get distracted by something else.
That is the real kicker. I have always liked both, wanted both. Had one, but have never found the other for a price I was willing to pay, until now. This is a real hard choice for me since I do want to add an M1 back into my stable, but all locally are crazy overpriced. I know the CMP is an option and I'm sure I would get one worth their price, but I still am of the sort that prefers to put hands on prior to buying guns. Sometimes these choices are maddening.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Just a random thought...

Like you I like to see and touch, any gun I buy...

Why not save up the money and go to one of the CMP stores, with cash in hand and all the credentials necessary to walk out with the M1 Garand of your choice?...

Here is a hint, if you already have a M1-A, then I would definately get a 308 Garand...

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
That is a hard choice. I'm like you, always wanted the "Big Three". A 1903/1917, M-1 and M1A. Unfortunately, the CMP doesn't foresee another batch of 1903/1917s like they had 4-5 years ago, only dribbles if any. Those out in private hands in good shape and at a good price are diminishing daily. If you have a chance of getting one now I'd take it. The CMP still has thousands of M-1 s in crates they haven't opened yet and there are still countries that haven't returned those "loaned" to them.

As for "hands on", Camp Perry isn't that far away. Maybe the stores will have some good looking service grades when you go. Irregardless, the specials and others are there if you don't mind the price.GI1
Either way you choose, good luck and good shooting!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Three head, Many of both out there, but…I would go to the A3, you can always, for a while get M1s from the CMP. Both are good, go for the one most rare.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That is the real kicker. I have always liked both, wanted both. Had one, but have never found the other for a price I was willing to pay, until now. This is a real hard choice for me since I do want to add an M1 back into my stable, but all locally are crazy overpriced. I know the CMP is an option and I'm sure I would get one worth their price, but I still am of the sort that prefers to put hands on prior to buying guns. Sometimes these choices are maddening.
Been there, done that! Ultimately your own wants will determine the path. Clearly it seems that one day you will own both. Why not consider the saying about A Bird In The Hand Is Worth Two In The Bush. By that I mean, why not get the cosmo'd rifle that is a sure thing while still saving for the m1? Even if CMP should completely run out some day, there are many, many at gun shows (and not always a ripoff, and you get to see it before you buy it). But a cosmo'd A3... that's nice... real nice. Later, you could always go to one of the two CMP locations and hand pick your beauty.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Always tough choices to make. Garand prices have been rising with the CMP waits as everyone knows. You have a pretty high likelihood of getting one with new wood if you go for the lottery.

If the 03A3 is a good configuration, quality and price then go that route. You won't be disappointed if you pay a price you are willing to for something you can hold in your hands and examine.

If you really, really want a Garand they are as cheap as they are ever going to get and someday the CMP will not have any available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts