M14 Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
It may also be that they may have suspicions based on what you're putting forward, but haven't made their mind up about you, and aren't particularly interested until such time as it's relevant.

Some of these guys can be pretty insightful, not just in terms of figuring out what they think they might know, but also in acknowledging what they don't. Maybe having logged more experience in decades than you can fit fingers on a hand, some even as an adult... might be worth something. So I wouldn't be so quick to presume.... Some might fit your presumptions, maybe... but if I was betting $5... I wouldn't bet what I couldn't afford to give away.

But we've all got biases, so if you think they might be biased against you, ask yourself the question, "Why?" and "Why is that actually unfair?" keeping in mind that your answers are yours, and may or may not actually apply to anybody else.

I can say only for myself that I have nothing decided about you, and at this point, I don't need to. You're another guy on the Interwebs. That describes me too. Not a problem.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
It may also be that they may have suspicions based on what you're putting forward, but haven't made their mind up about you, and aren't particularly interested until such time as it's relevant.

Some of these guys can be pretty insightful, not just in terms of figuring out what they think they might know, but also in acknowledging what they don't. Maybe having logged more experience in decades than you can fit fingers on a hand, some even as an adult... might be worth something. So I wouldn't be so quick to presume.... Some might fit your presumptions, maybe... but if I was betting $5... I wouldn't bet what I couldn't afford to give away.

But we've all got biases, so if you think they might be biased against you, ask yourself the question, "Why?" and "Why is that actually unfair?" keeping in mind that your answers are yours, and may or may not actually apply to anybody else.

I can say only for myself that I have nothing decided about you, and at this point, I don't need to. You're another guy on the Interwebs. That describes me too. Not a problem.
I guess it’s because I inherently hate the way the internet warps social interaction. I know how these guys would be in real life, and I know how they wouldn’t be, as I’ve been around quite a few people to know how they do and don’t act. When you get people behind a screen, it brings out things in them that I really can’t stand, and I try to do the opposite and be myself. Which, of course, doesn’t work on screen people. So I get frustrated and just write out my thoughts hoping that someone with sense and decency finds something familiar in what I’m saying, that resonates with them. I realize that’s just not a realistic ask for most of these people, and you’re right. It doesn’t matter the way my mind tells me it does. Nothing really does, in the end, eh.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I guess it’s because I inherently hate the way the internet warps social interaction. I know how these guys would be in real life, and I know how they wouldn’t be, as I’ve been around quite a few people to know how they do and don’t act
Your assumptions based on your life experiences do not equate to knowing anybody here. I think asking questions and reading responses would be a better use of your time and interactions. Making declarative statements about people after being here such short amount of time isn't going to get you anywhere.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Your assumptions based on your life experiences do not equate to knowing anybody here. I think asking questions and reading responses would be a better use of your time and interactions. Making declarative statements about people after being here such short amount of time isn't going to get you anywhere.
Just thinking out loud, friend. There are only so many archetypes of people. I’ve seen enough people in my limited time here, and then seen the difference in how they act behind a screen, that it’s hard not to draw conclusions. I don’t see you chiding anyone else for their declarative statements about my secret ill intent, the silent alarms I set off that they don’t keep very silent at all, et al. There is wisdom in what you say, I just wonder if you’re aware of it.

edit: for what its worth? I tried directly messaging someone making disparaging comments about me, and invited him to a sincere discussion. I got a troll response from what I’m guessing is someone old enough to be my grandfather. So much for trying to ask questions, huh.

·
Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
606 Posts
There's a lot of wisdom in song lyrics- you just have to listen to the song.

Here's an example of how surprisingly apropos they can be...

Once in a while, you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right

Scarlet Begonias The Grateful Dead

Just FWIW

61 - 69 of 69 Posts