M14 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Huh? My cat rubs against my rifles all the time. Does she look distressed, or am i
Pointing the gun at her ? The cat likes guns, what can I say.

Really, think about it for a second. What is the difference between the cat rubbing herself on a rifle to scratch her back, vs me using the side of a pistol to scratch her neck, with the muzzle nowhere near sweeping her and the gun unloaded?
I thought the pic was funny, needed a caption like "Hands up or the cat gets it!"

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Try the S&W forum at smith-wessonforum.com Smith & Wesson Forum
They have a classified section where folks list lots more than just S&Ws. AFAIK they don't have the 50 post rule, but they DO have very specific rules about how to list and respond, so read them carefully. You'll find less flaming over there, but scammers are a very real threat, so just understand how folks can be pretty wary. Scammers are invariably new members who signed up just to scam folks. Oh, and if you are interested in S&Ws, you need to be there anyway. Great forums.
I just asked the VLTOR guy to send the next request he gets for one my way. He knows me well enough to understand I’m not a scammer, and as far as people being defrauded out of thousands of dollars? I’m selling something I expect to get maybe $300-$400 out of.I’ve seen listings on gunbroker for 3-4x that, but surprise, no bids. I just had someone run off on me, in real life, with a $1000 AR upper I was gonna let him have for $600 and pay me later. Then the “crazy coincidences” started piling up and he couldn’t even think about money or deals at a time like this. Then come to find out he sold it , and claimed I gave him my express permission. So I’ve been scammed. Burgled. Strong arm robbed when I was younger and didn’t carry and wasnt as big. It happens and it sucks. I guess these guys have much different life experiences than me? Or maybe different ways of handling them.

I value a high trust society, and so I try to”be the change you wish to see”. I knew the guy who ran off on me fairly well. He had spent thousands w me so I thought nothing of it. Like I said, these things happen. Now obviously that’s no excuse to act like a dummy and not try to vet people or have safeguards in play. I just don’t think calling anyone who asks about selling something a hustling scammer, or requiring 50 posts which can be done in one busy day realistically, are particularly effective methods. That’s why I’m hoping there is some better system in place than the honor system in the ol PX

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I thought the pic was funny, needed a caption like "Hands up or the cat gets it!"
right? I mean the cat is clearly extremely
Comfortable and feels safe around me, and I’m literally paid to teach pistol safety at times. The faux outrage is just sad. If it’s not faux outrage, but genuine outrage? I don’t have the answers for that.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Huh? My cat rubs against my rifles all the time. Does she look distressed, or am i
Pointing the gun at her ? The cat likes guns, what can I say.

Really, think about it for a second. What is the difference between the cat rubbing herself on a rifle to scratch her back, vs me using the side of a pistol to scratch her neck, with the muzzle nowhere near sweeping her and the gun unloaded?
Where in my question do you detect any criticism or outrage? Manstrual cycle? Take it easy dude

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
Unfortunately, scammers are everywhere, they're practiced, and they're looking for the low-hanging fruit, so we do what we can do to filter them out, and hope that they'll move on to easier pickin's if a few hurdles and speed bumps.

If somebody has joined within the last month, I don't care how many posts, I'm not buying from them. If they've been here awhile and somebody I know has vouched for them, I will take a risk based on their investment establishing a profile, and the reality is that most people are actually pretty decent.

When I said not to take it personally, I meant it, but your first post fit the pattern of a scammer, coming up with excuses to bypass hoops, putting something out there as potential bait for inquiry and a side deal. This isn't ebay, and there are no buyer protections in place. I have yet to get scammed on an Internet transaction, and part of that is practices, and part of that is just dumb luck. I have been shorted out of tens of thousands in business, twice, and I've learned from that, both in paying more attention to circumstances, taking preventative and proactive action, and building in protections where indicator merit it.

It may be (and seems) that your InterWeb demeanor is such that I (and probably others) interpreted it differently than you intended. It happens, and if I conveyed hostility, I'm sorry about that. Just understand that we're operating in an environment where trust is earned.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Welcome, from California.

I’m a member of CMP forum, Calguns, Gunboards, and Smith and Wesson Forum, among others.

The people here are by far the best folks. Eager to share, explain, make you a fair deal, and tempt you with some build idea you never knew you needed.

I have never been burned by a scammer, but I’ve come close. Buying stuff on forums, in my opinion, is one of the last places where people take you largely at your word, so your word needs to mean something first.

I’d start by buying something on the PX first or really neat stuff will pop up on the BX from time to time.

Read some of the write ups on the Navy SSR, Port Security Rifle, XM21 rifles. Also read the stuff on stock refinishing, particularly M1Army’s stuff.

Also, watch the Tony Ben YouTube videos.

That will get you started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Unfortunately, scammers are everywhere, they're practiced, and they're looking for the low-hanging fruit, so we do what we can do to filter them out, and hope that they'll move on to easier pickin's if a few hurdles and speed bumps.

If somebody has joined within the last month, I don't care how many posts, I'm not buying from them. If they've been here awhile and somebody I know has vouched for them, I will take a risk based on their investment establishing a profile, and the reality is that most people are actually pretty decent.

When I said not to take it personally, I meant it, but your first post fit the pattern of a scammer, coming up with excuses to bypass hoops, putting something out there as potential bait for inquiry and a side deal. This isn't ebay, and there are no buyer protections in place. I have yet to get scammed on an Internet transaction, and part of that is practices, and part of that is just dumb luck. I have been shorted out of tens of thousands in business, twice, and I've learned from that, both in paying more attention to circumstances, taking preventative and proactive action, and building in protections where indicator merit it.

It may be (and seems) that your InterWeb demeanor is such that I (and probably others) interpreted it differently than you intended. It happens, and if I conveyed hostility, I'm sorry about that. Just understand that we're operating in an environment where trust is earned.
I am positive my demeanor is taken differently than I intend it to be. It didn’t occur to me that people come here to scam, because I’m neither a scammer nor have I been scammed on the internet. The way you interpreted what I said as “bait for a side deal” for instance is something that never even crossed my mind. I mean , “heck”, I just got admonished by a mod for using a profanity in a comment meant to offer condolences and perhaps some sort of meaning regarding the death of his dogs. The only forums I post on are 4chan, and if there is some absolute need to get info about something I can’t find, Reddit. I’m much more used to 4chan where anything goes, and you can speak plainly, so it’s easy to lose perspective that a forum like this is full of … watchdogs, so to speak. Also I’m guessing the average user here may be a little older than me, so there is likely a generation gap playing into things. I fully recognize, too, that in said gap, mine is the more likely to contain scammers. Or, as ol boy earlier said, “A HUSTLER !!” Haha. No offense taken.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Glad to see others here were detecting the same signal I was receiving. And my antennae are still picking up... something.

Must be my age...
as I explained before, there is indeed likely an age gap at play, as well as my being used to posting basically on only one message board with essentially no rules. Anytime I’ve sold something, I’ve posted it on florida gun trader or Armlist and just met face to face. Once or twice I’ve done deals where we FaceTimed me putting the item in a box at the post office and the cashier sort of acting As a witness that it was what i said it was, and with her holding it behind the counter, he sent the money, I verified it was received, and that was that. I did come here explicitly to sell something, admittedly, but that’s not in itself insidious or suspicious; in fact it makes total sense, considering what it is I intend to sell.

it has now been explained to me that much of my naive, plain, frank language and demeanor is shared by many scammers. If you’re picking up on anything?It’s that. I’m many things, and a scammer isn’t one of them. Frankly i think a lot of you guys are kind of funny, if a little bit overly suspicious, but again that was explained to me.

with my pal at VLTOR having had me send him pix of the item in question that I came to sell, and letting me know that he has no problem referring the next person seeking out said item (they aren’t allowed to sell them) to me, I’m guessing I’ll sell it that way rather than through here.

like I said, though, this board is kind of funny, and I tend to get along better with my elders than my peers.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Frankly i think a lot of you guys are kind of funny, if a little bit overly suspicious, but again that was explained to me
With age comes experience.

There's a difference in being a pessimist and being a realist. One man that was a coffee table gun dealer I originally thought was a tin hat weaving nut job turned out to be a hyper alert realist that trained customs agents on situational awareness and threat assessment.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
With age comes experience.

There's a difference in being a pessimist and being a realist. One man that was a coffee table gun dealer I originally thought was a tin hat weaving nut job turned out to be a hyper alert realist that trained customs agents on situational awareness and threat assessment.
just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean you’re wrong. Trust me, I’ve lost friends and family over these sorts of issues, as in pointing out plain realities right in front of them that made them uncomfortable. Hopefully I can gain a little more experience in this life before I punch my ticket. Maybe that’s why I’m here despite not being able to do what I originally set out to do, and maybe I enjoy hearing older dudes rag on me so that I can gain a sharper self image, and an understanding of how I’m viewed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Just understand that we're operating in an environment where trust is earned.
Got it. I’d like to earn some of that there trust. I kinda like this forum, and it’s clear there is a baby in this bath water here that I’m not looking to toss out just because of knee jerk reactions to my not talking or acting like a lot of folks on here are accustomed to. I’ll do my best to be respectful and see if I can’t get any directed back my way - being that I’ve only dealt with AR’s and AK’s in my 13 years or so of being into guns, and only “really” into it the last 3 or 4 years, it occurs to me that this place could be very helpful as a resource for a first time m1a owner of several months or so.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
They're also an interesting, knowledgeable, and fun group of guys.
Hey, if there are any in central florida near daytona who wana show me how to use this thing, and report back to everyone how lame I am, I’m more than game to meet up ! I even made a post in the new members section

·
Registered
270 Posts
as I explained before, there is indeed likely an age gap at play,
You would be correct with your assumption. Many of the members are here are like my dad! Grumpy, hardheaded, stubborn and opinionated Marines. No offense to any members meant. I love my dad and that's one of the reasons I love this forum. ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
You would be correct with your assumption. Many of the members are here are like my dad! Grumpy, hardheaded, stubborn and opinionated Marines. No offense to any members meant. I love my dad and that's one of the reasons I love this forum. ;)
what kills me is they have this mental image of me in their heads. Frankly, as do I, of them. Yet, I would bet I can give an articulate summary of how they see me and how they see themselves, that they would sign off on, yet I’d wager all $5 of my net worth that they couldn’t do the same to me. And the fact that that doesn’t even occur to them as something important, that they literally, in every sense of the phrase, don’t know what they’re talking about, in regards to me, is a very good summary of their generation. I bet we have much more in common than they realize, but then I would bet at the same time we’re a lot more different than they realize, as everything is so surface level, face value, no time to stop and think, “dangit he didn’t follow the 800 page rule set that I don’t follow either”, etc.

I guess that’s part of their charm.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts