M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a hypothetical question about rapid fire...

Hypothetically speaking, if a shooter who's never shot an official mathch were to show up to an official CMP match without all the fancy jacket, mat and pouches, what are the rules about shooting rapid fire? Can the magazine be laid on the ground next to the shooter? Does the spare mag have to come from a pouch of some sort? Must you retain the empty magazine? What are the exact rules?

Also, what are the sizes of the targets (the whole black circle, not the rings) used at 200, 300 and 600?

Just curious.... from a hypothetical point of view....

Tony.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
CMP... maybe try NRA too, their matches are more common.

Anyway, no jacket or pouches required. Magazines can be placed just about anywhere behind the firing line (within reach!). They can fall where they may in the rapid fire. Unless you have enough spares, you will want to keep them behind the firing line when you remove them. If the happen to end up in front of the line, you can always retrieve them when the line is clear during brass call.

You will need something to read the other shooter's score. A decent spotting scope with stand. You can get by with binoculars but it's not ideal. You don't have to see, or read your own score, but it helps a lot!

The black is 13 inches at 200 yards (nine ring).
19 inches at 300 (eight ring).
36 inches at 600 (seven ring).

Important notice: you'll need ear and eye protection AND an ECI (empty chamber indicator). ECIs are usually available at a match for about $2.

·
Registered
532 Posts
No you don't need them at CMP or NRA HP match. If you want to lay on the ground and shoot in your t-shirt and have the magazines next to you, you are fine.
In CMP in rapid fire stage you start from standing position. Now on M14 you have bolt closed on a empty chamber with a magazine inserted with two rounds in it. On the command commence fire you go from standing to prone, once you are there you charge the weapon and shoot your two rounds, then reload with a magazine that has eight rounds and fire them off.
In NRA HP you start in position with the rifle off your shoulder and your magazines next to you on . On the command commence fire you load the two round and fire them off and reload with eight.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
In the event you attend a HP match you will find that most are very willing to assist you in anyway possible. First starting several years ago shooting HP had no equipment to speak of other than rifle/ammo, cheap spotting scope. For a mat I went to carpet store and bought a remnant of heavy carpet for local range firing line is concrete, hard on the joints, and much prefer earth/grass. Did scrounge a surplus military shooting coat, light canvas, for some 20.00(still use it.) Items mentioned by others are "spot on" but would not encourage someone just starting out make a large investment in equipment until you actually determine that is something you wish to continue. While in attendance to HP match seek out some of the experienced shooters and trust me, they have already gone through a whole host of equipment(and money!) attempting to find gear that actually is of benefit. Normally you will find at the match a Range Officer or Match Director that will explain any rules that apply and are glad to do so. If you don't know something about the match they will point it out to you. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
460 Posts
You might consider one of the "small" range matches. ARPC (Albany) will have a match on Aug 16th. 100 yard shoot. Very low key, fun match. The rules and process is the same as a long range match other than distance and scoring.

Garand match to follow HP.

·
Super Moderator
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, I have only a 3-weekend window and it's got to be local. August 9th at Douglas Ridge fits the bill. There's a vintage military rifle match the next weekend at TCGC, but I don't think it's CMP affiliated. At this point, I don't care if I fall flat on my face and come out dead last. I just want to go out there and have fun and say I finally did it.

Tony.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Contact the match director for additional advice. The CMP/NRA books will give you the guidelines. Give them a good read. Don't go to the line with 20 rounds in each magazine, and make sure you understand the safety rules. Many ranges require an empty chamber flag and may have them at the range for sale or on loan. Learn what the positions are and dry-fire for practice, using a timer if possible to get a feel for the rapid-fire stages. It will also help if you know your zero going into the match. If you know it, use a bright color nail polish to place a small mark on the receiver/knob so if you get confused, you can find your zero again. If you have the ability, go to a match ahead of time and watch. Afterwards ask questions.

Here's a link to a service rifle class on youtube [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Xpf3S63Os"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Xpf3S63Os[/ame].

This one is part 1 of 3.

It's always daunting the first time, but you will have fun, learn new skills and meet some great shooters.

Good luck, let us know how it turned out.

Bruce

·
Super Moderator
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the only time i ever used pouches was on a marine corps shooting range. never in a real match...
That's why I asked. The last time I shot a rapid string in the Marines, the mag had to come from a pouch and the empty had to be retained in a pouch or cargo pocket.

Tony.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I just want to go out there and have fun and say I finally did it.

Tony.
Oh, you'll have a good time. The only thing as a beginner you'll really "need" in addition to rifle, ammo, and magazine, is snacks and drinks. All the other stuff helps with comfort and scores. I started with a clinic in January having only the stuff listed above. as time goes by I bought stuff from other guys at the matches or off e-bay.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
http://m14forum.com/rifle-competition/17401-nra-highpower-service-rifle-target-sizes.html

target sizes…

since it has been posted before…(had to do that).

Tony-I shot my first XC match using ammo that I had no clue for the come ups. I only skipped one in, but I did manage to get a DQ on prone rapid for early magazine insertion.

It is a learning experience. You shoot well enough. Just go and learn, don't get fixated on the score. I shot horribly…nerves, anxiety, etc. Ask questions, look at positions, etc.

just add 3 to your 100 zero for 2, add 6 to your 100 for 3, and (my rifle) needed about 15 from my 3 to 6 for the crap I was shooting to get on paper. You may need less.

I put my magazine for the rapids on my mat (packing blanket) so it could get nice and hot to the touch for my reload. When it's hot you know it's in your hand.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Hypothetically? GI1

While it was far from what I'd call "official", it sounds as though you are describing my first High Power match a couple weeks ago. I was the scrub who showed up with a rifle, cheap ammo, a couple mags, and a very lousy choice in a shooting mat. haha Cheap foam sleeping mat, I HAVE to replace that. It was the one thing I can honestly say hurt my score. Everything else was my fault.

I had a blast, and Im gearing up to do it again. DO IT Tony! :ARM34:

·
Registered
871 Posts
It's a lot of fun,I started this year with a local club and it's a blast . Made it to Perry . Wish I would have done it years ago. The only thing I can add is maybe a stool or like a fishing chair and one of those cheep plastic clipboards that has a compartment to keep a small calculator and pens for scoring. By next year and some fine tuning we will be doing the Garand, vintage bolt, Carbine and M1a. Only about 360 days away. I don't think I have the eyes for 600 anymore but I'm gonna try. Ha. Got to do it Tony.. Dan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.