M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the annual south Georgia hog slaughter coming up. I took the m1a last year and after lugging it through the woods for a couple days I decided to slim it down. I switched to a polymer stock and 5 round mag but still found it cumbersome. Im used to shooting off a bench.

This year I have a usgi fiberglass stock that I painted with truck bed liner spray and removed all the metal. Still looking to drop some weight if anyone has ideas.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Not much more you can drop, unless its scoped. I sort of agree with BattleHook. Man, if its that heavy why even bother...? Theres a good website called the Art of Manliness you might want to peruse. Stronglifts.com is another good one...We all need a good wake up in this world of emasculation once in a while, me included...

·
Registered
349 Posts
along these lines, I have an LRB and a Poly, but thought about adding a bush or socom, then changed my mind.....those are carbines, I want a RIFLE......if I can't tote it, I don't deserve it....

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Do you have it "Slinged" if not give it a try. Although I have never minded Slopping through the Woods with my M1 Or M14

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
You could remove the stripper clip guide but thats about the only thing I can think of that is non essential to the function of the rifle.

You could also rebarrel it to a 18.5".

Honestly though, lugging the 14 through the woods is not all that tough if your in decent shape. I did it with a scoped 14 with lots of hunting clothes gear in the snow in the mountains. It was some work but it wasn't that bad. I would imagine in south georgia it not being that cold so 5 layers of clothing is not required like it was for me.

I would suggest a good sling and some cardio workouts. Nothing major but maybe a small jog in the morning or late evening would help build up your stamina.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Once you haul it around on a regular basis you won't even notice it. I hauled mine thru the jungles for 16mos. Never caught me complaining. Besides, when you're dealing with an M14 you know before hand what you got.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Woo! Rough crowd!DI2

Try skeletonizing the butt on your rifle. It takes off a little more weight, but does hinder the innate "butt-strokeability" of the M14.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
slim

To slim it down the most,... lightweight composite stock, five round mag with only two rounds in it and one up the tube,... remove buttplate assembly and velcro rubber piece on,... remove stripper clip guide, rear sight, flash suppressor, bolt stop, and mount an aimpoint micro scope. .Weight 3.7 oz. (105g) including mount
..then have your hammer skeletonized and your stock skeletonized, for your stock, you could drill 1/4 inch holes all over it, the forestock, the sides where the action goes, the butt, I would say no closer than 1 inch apart, hole edge to hole edge,... would drop lots of weight and keep it strong enough for deer hunting if you didn't sling up and torque it too much.....I suppose you could also skeletonize your trigger housing by drilling 1/4 inch holes all in the left side of the housing too....also the trigger guard like the one that is in the back of it already, just start marching up the curve with more holes spaced apart some....thats it, all I can do for ya....won't weigh nearly as much, but the micro is expensive. http://www.aimpoint.com/products/aimpoint_product_lines/aimpoint_micro_t-1

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
To slim it down the most,... lightweight composite stock, five round mag with only two rounds in it and one up the tube,... remove buttplate assembly and velcro rubber piece on,... remove stripper clip guide, rear sight, flash suppressor, bolt stop, and mount an aimpoint micro scope. .Weight 3.7 oz. (105g) including mount
..then have your hammer skeletonized and your stock skeletonized, for your stock, you could drill 1/4 inch holes all over it, the forestock, the sides where the action goes, the butt, I would say no closer than 1 inch apart, hole edge to hole edge,... would drop lots of weight and keep it strong enough for deer hunting if you didn't sling up and torque it too much.....I suppose you could also skeletonize your trigger housing by drilling 1/4 inch holes all in the left side of the housing too....also the trigger guard like the one that is in the back of it already, just start marching up the curve with more holes spaced apart some....thats it, all I can do for ya....won't weigh nearly as much, but the micro is expensive. http://www.aimpoint.com/products/aimpoint_product_lines/aimpoint_micro_t-1
Or you could save a lot of work by watching deer hunting on TV while eating pizza and drinking beer GI2

·
Registered
270 Posts
real light??

I heard of a group of folks out of Abilene, Texas that take their hogs with dogs and a knife...........how light do you want to go?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
You really do not say what size barrel you have. My light weight M1A project involves a pre-ban Bush rifle. Stick with iron sights, add nothing NM to the rifle, as that adds weight. At this point about the only thing that should be modded is to lighten the stock. Replace buttpad w/a rubber one. Drill the storage compartment holes in the butt larger. Look to where you can drill holes in the stock w/o taking away any structural integrity. Use a five round magazine. I would stay away from skeletenizing any metal parts as the weight savings vs cost would be hard to justify. Add to that you could ruin the parts. Even with all the mods, I do not think you will ever get an M1A under 7lbs. The M-14 was designed to be robust. Light weight and robust are contradictions. dozier

1 - 13 of 13 Posts