M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure alot on here go hunting with many different kind of rifles. I used my Swiss/Sig Arms 223 today for some seal hunting out on the Hudson's Bay. Got this fat bugger(ring seal) between the ears ... I've taken my shorty Norinco/USGI built M14 beluga whale hunting this summer also but unfortunately didn't get any. I have many pics from my hunting trips including my Springfield M1A I used 2 yrs ago for my muskox hunt ... will post more pics later! Cheers everyone,

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

POST YOUR HUNTING PICS ... mods if this is wrong place please move to appropriate place!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you going to do with it? Just curious.
I'm going to eat it, use the skin for either mitts or a parka(need a few skins for this)

You shot it? Greenpeace says you're supposed to use a club.
LOL Greenpeace can jog on ... HAHA!

One of my favourite rifle I use for hunting is my Springfield M1A ... her name is ROCHELLE and she never lets me down!

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

Here is ROCHELLE and my Norinco/USGI built shorty.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm a Hunter Education Instructor and I can't figure out Greenpeace. What do they do for wildlife, game and habitat? Any good habitat manager knows that regulated hunting is an essential tool wildlife management. Take away the funding that comes from permits, excise taxes on equipment and ammo who's going to fund public lands and its wildlife, Greenpeace? My guess Pheasants Forever, Ducks Unlimited and Cabella's have done far more for wildlife than Greenpeace ever has. Just to name a few.

nice seal btw. looks cold out there.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What optics are you using on your M1As?
Millett DMS scopes.

What is the fat to meat ratio on a seal? Do you have any uses for the fat? Interesting and cool. Thanks
In fall time after feeding all summer they get real fat ... not sure but this guy was approx 4 inchs of fat before we cut into the meat. We use the fat to burn on traditional lantern stove called a qulliq(koodlick) which was used for lighting, cooking and heat back in the day.

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

Here's a couple pics of my muskox hunt ... here I am with my Springfield M1A.

My friend Kyle with his muskox which he also shot with my M1A as my norinco I loaned him froze up.

We saw a herd of approx 30+

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I got picked last week to go nanuq(polarbear)hunting and couldn't believe it as I was #108 on the list and we only had 8 tags. I didn't catch one unfortunately but had a blast searching. We spent two days out on the Hudson's Bay Sea-ice going thru ice-fields that would make you shake your head. Imagine piles of ice pushed up by mother-nature approx 60 feet high and the blocks of solid ice being the size of a snowmobile or a truck ... it was insane ... yet other spots were flat and smooth. We found tracks but nothing too fresh and they led into fields of ice we couldn't travel towards the flow-edge. It was approx -50 degree's celsius the two days I was out. There is always next year ... HAHA! Here's some pics for ya. Cheers,

Otokiak
Rankin INlet, NU
CANADA

p.s. I took my Springfield M1A with me ... :D

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Took the top one (same as middle) with my M1A standard with iron sights...estimated range about 30-45 yards away. The bottom one I took with my Socom II, also iron sights...about the same distance. I used Hornady TAP with the smaller buck and a custom handload with a Nosler Ballistic Hunting round for the larger buck. I also ended up taking two does in the last day with my Standard iron sights. One at 300 yards on the nose (ranged it with my Nikon Rangefinder) and the other one at 275 yards. Both with my custom handloads. Unfortunately I didn't get any pics :( - I'll tell you what though, it feels damn good to harvest one out at that range with just the irons.

I pick my mount up for the biggun' in the next month or two. Can't wait to put it on my wall of horns and manlyness!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm a 55gr wimp. Haven't used a big caliber in a while...:

Older photo, mostly because no deer last year. But only had the opportunity to go out a couple of days.

Now if the deer were apt to shoot back whilst utilizing hard cover, then it would be 7,62x51, no question!

1 - 20 of 199 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.