M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, I've just decided to take a Maine Black Bear hunting trip in late summer. I was thinking about taking my new SOCOM 16, most likely with some sort of premium 165gr hunting bullet. Over bait, so <60yds or so. Thinking of an Aimpoint Pro for the optic. Main concern is running commercial hunting ammo through the SOCOM, is that considered a bad combo for weapon longevity? If it's going to screw the gun up, I'd consider something else, but I'd really like to use it if possible. Any Mainers know the gouge on semi-auto to hunt with up there?

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
i would go with my mauser with a 200gr partition from nosler.

in a socom maybe a shuster gas plug and 180gr partition?

or perhaps the 160gr partition or accubond.

some zombie ammo if you dont reload. or order direct from nosler. its like having rammac make your ammo for you.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I shot my bear, elk and deer with federal Power-shok 180gr soft point or use Winchester Soft point, Remington core-lokT, all of these are about the same.

The reason I used the Federal is because it has a sharper point which feeds from a mag better.

This is what I'm going to try this year: Federal premium 180gr Trophy bond.
http://www.cdatactical.com/catalog/product.asp?pid=65914&ret_id=1390639

I think this would feed very well from a mag.

I would say any thing that is HP or expanding from 150gr - 180gr would be fine.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Black bear at 60 yards with a .308 , any 150 or 165 hunting round like core locks or power points will work fine. If you want more insurance that the bullet will work get something with a bonded or partition type bullet , stay away from high energy loads , in the same weights and have a good time. It is said that shooting lead tipped bullets will wash or lead the feed ramps on the chamber but for the amount you will be shooting it should be fine. I ran a few boxes of Winchester power points through mine that I had setting around with no ill affects.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts