M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was at the Houston Gun show last Sunday & was just looking around, happened to stop by the RS&D Ammo booth.

I was looking at what they had to offer when a gentleman showed up with a big bag of ammo that he got the day before, seems that it got mixed up with someone else with the same name bag of Ammo.

The owner said that he was sorry & that not only would he make it right, but he would throw in a few extra boxes to cover the cost of admission to the show & a little to cover gas money.

Now that impressed me, so I told him that I would be back for a few boxes of ammo. I saw that he had new Custom 308/7.62x51 for $12.50 a box.

It's Hirtenberger brass & copper coated 150 FMJ.

Look real good too! I'll give a report soon on how it shoots.
http://store.thehuntingshack.com/762x51150grfmj.aspx

·
Read Only
2,559 Posts
I guess HSM is branching out into rifle calibers!
I've bought a few boxes of their pistol ammo in the bright orange boxes which has a pretty low price and good availability in my area.

I have only tried the .357 Mag so far. It is reloads with mixed brands of brass. It is my understanding that they also make "new" ammo for a bit more in price but I have not tried any yet.

The .357 Mag 158 gr JHP chronographed at average 1094 fps with a standard deviation of 3.43% (deviation as % of average). Some Magtech with the same weight bullet runs 1241 fps at 1.7% and my reloads with same bullet weight run about 1.49%.

In other words, the orange-box reloads were OK practice ammo at a low price, but not as good as my own reloads.

The 9mm I bought is likewise mixed brass but I haven't shot any yet. don't remember what the other caliber I got was...

I'll be interested to see how the .308 stuff works out.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HSM appears to be Re manufactured out of Montanna
That is what I am Reading Here
http://www.ammohouston.com/aboutUs.html
I spoke with the guy's from Houston & that is true for most of the pistol ammo, but I was told that the 308/7.62 was newly manufactured from new Hirtenberger brass.

Not sure about any of the other rifle ammo, as I only spoke to them about the 7.62X51

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've bought a few boxes of their pistol ammo in the bright orange boxes which has a pretty low price and good availability in my area.

I have only tried the .357 Mag so far. It is reloads with mixed brands of brass. It is my understanding that they also make "new" ammo for a bit more in price but I have not tried any yet.

The .357 Mag 158 gr JHP chronographed at average 1094 fps with a standard deviation of 3.43% (deviation as % of average). Some Magtech with the same weight bullet runs 1241 fps at 1.7% and my reloads with same bullet weight run about 1.49%.

In other words, the orange-box reloads were OK practice ammo at a low price, but not as good as my own reloads.

The 9mm I bought is likewise mixed brass but I haven't shot any yet. don't remember what the other caliber I got was...

I'll be interested to see how the .308 stuff works out.
as fare as i know they have been in the riffle cal's for a while
i bought some 50bmg ammo from them 5 or 6 years ago
and im shur they had 308 and 30/06 back then

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
HSM Stevensville, MT and Arco, Id are two places they are at.......
Good company and a great product......

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
HSM has been in the rifle caliber business dating back in the 90s. From 96 to 98 we bought our rifle team's ammo from them, 10Ks at a time. Ammo came in either in new Winchesters or new LC brass, and 69 SMKs. In 98 I tested their 308 ammo based on berdan primed brass and 168s SMKs and those shot real well.

They are good people to deal with.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts

·
Read Only
2,559 Posts
Good to know! Thanks! I stand corrected. GI6
I have not come across their rifle ammo before and only found their pistol ammo in the last year or so.

I'm glad to see more folks getting into the ammo game, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Interesting, After you fire them, could you let us know if it is Berdan or Boxer primed ? I know there was some factory primed Hirt. "New" brass in both flavors, recently on the market. I got some of the OEM boxer primed. And saw big 'ol buckets of the Berdan stuff at one of the funshows. If you could post , what exactly is on the headstamp ?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Interesting, After you fire them, could you let us know if it is Berdan or Boxer primed ? I know there was some factory primed Hirtenberger "New" brass in both flavors, recently on the market. I got some of the OEM boxer primed. And saw big 'ol buckets of the Berdan stuff at one of the funshows. If you could post , what exactly is on the headstamp ?

I was told that HSM bought 1million rounds of Hirtenberger boxer brass, mine came in a Bight Orange box & the head stamp is HP 308 7.62X51

I'll let you know as soon as I fire off a few rounds if it's really Boxer primed.

No reason not to think so, but information passed down has been wrong before.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Interesting, After you fire them, could you let us know if it is Berdan or Boxer primed ? I know there was some factory primed Hirt. "New" brass in both flavors, recently on the market. I got some of the OEM boxer primed. And saw big 'ol buckets of the Berdan stuff at one of the funshows. If you could post , what exactly is on the headstamp ?
I Just Telephoned 'Tech Support' At HSM And Asked...

What They Are Selling Is---BOXER !!!

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I bought 1000rds of 55 gr .223 off of them about 4 years ago.
Accuracy was absolutly terrible, cheap Wolf would group better.. Its been to long know so I cant remember the exact specifics but had someone pull down a few rds and there was a big difference in powder weight from one round to another with some being borderline hot
I contacted the company and they seemed concerned and sent replacement ammo and a paid sticker send back the rest.
Bad news is the replacement ammo was just as bad as the first.
Hopefully they have their act together now. JMO

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I was told that HSM bought 1million rounds of Hirt boxer brass, mine came in a Bight Orange box & the head stamp is HP 308 7.62X51

I'll let you know as soon as I fire off a few rounds if it's really Boxer primed.

No reason not to think so, but information passed down has been wrong before.
That is the brass I have. Hope it is GTG brass !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts