M14 Forum banner

HRA M1 Garand vs. Polytech Value ??

3358 12
I going to try to trade my HRA M1 Garand for a a Polytech/Norinco M14 in a couple weeks. The HRA is a CMP service grade and will have all HRA parts.

I've done some searching here and other sites trying to get an idea of the the current Polytech prices. Looks like $900-$950 is the average for a bone stock rifle in very good condition.

Am I pretty close on the Poly price? I don't mind putting a little money into the trade (if I find one) but I don't want to loose my shirt either.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,819 Posts
i would try and find one for 850-900$ if its bone stock, more if its been upgraded. I guess 900-950 is right at the going price but if you look around you can sometimes find them a little cheaper but also more expensive just depends on time and place. Id do the trade but im also not much of a garand guy.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks "boomer1983". I'm just trying to make sure I have a fair price range for the Poly. I know there "ain't no free lunch" and I don't mind putting cash in but not more than I should. I know I can sell the M1 then buy a Poly outright but I usually try to trade first. Seems like both parties win if each has something the other wants.

· Registered
2,819 Posts
Thanks "boomer1983". I'm just trying to make sure I have a fair price range for the Poly. I know there "ain't no free lunch" and I don't mind putting cash in but not more than I should. I know I can sell the M1 then buy a Poly outright but I usually try to trade first. Seems like both parties win if each has something the other wants.
so true thats why i prefer trading over anything else. when i sell somthing i always end up squandering the money and wish i had just kept the the gun in the first place or traded for some other gun wich is like hard curency and cant be squandered so easily. good luck on your hunt its half the fun

· Registered
3,789 Posts
You have an H&R you are willing to trade for a Poly?...

I love Polys, but consider the following:

Does your M1 have an LMR barrel? How many H&R parts are in the rifle? You said "all the parts are H&R", but that puts it closer to a "Correct Grade". What condition is it? You say it's an SG, but that can be highly variable. Muzzle wear? Throat erosion?

JWB

· Registered
1,915 Posts
I wouldn't trade or sell your M1. Save up for your poly, down the road you'll regret loosing the M1.

Buy or sell what you want. Enjoy your money, guns and choices. Weigh what others think or believe and make you choice.

Never trade a generally correct Garand with a good barrel for something less.

Comparing prices or value is an option, the other consideration is historical value. The value of Garands money wise is fairly easy to compute. CMP values set the prices, the grading system has standards, and general postings like GB help.

DO NOT sell that M1, a M1 of any vintae is a living historic artifact! You will regret letting it go. In my opinion a Poly no matter the coast is not equal to a USGI M1. The M1 will increase in value, the poly will not.
The Poly sold for around $250.00 when sold new, it is now around $850.00-$950.00. If public demand goes up, which it is, and supply goes down, which it is, they were banned from importation, there are far fewer Poly's made or imported than Garands, than the price will continue to escalate.
Weigh these factors against your desire, realize you will be able to replace the Garand far easier in the future than a Poly, take into account the distaste factor of the Poly and choose.

Jim

· Retired
5,985 Posts
I wouldn't trade or sell your M1. Save up for your poly, down the road you'll regret loosing the M1.
I agree. Personally, I would keep my American made H&R M1 with a proud history behind it, and save up the coins for a nice US made M14 type rifle. My personal favorite is an earlier production SA Inc. M1A made with mostly USGI parts. They can often be found priced reasonable, and by the time you buy the Chinese rifle, or a newly made M1A and start changing/up-grading parts, you are into the price of a new M1A or nicely used older M1A.DI5

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I have read them and will re-read them. Valid points have been made by all. I know it's ultimately my decision but I value the opinions of folks who have more experience than I do; especially in the M1A/M14 area.

Hank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.